1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Brother Gill, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Brother Gill

Brother Gill New Member

:1_grouphug: I am a IFB for the most part and thinking of going to Clear Creek Baptiat College. A Southern Baptist school. Does any one know any thing about that school?:1_grouphug:

Phl 1:18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clear Creek Response

Dear Bro.,

If you are IFB, why then would you want to go to an SBC school? Just wondering not trying to mind your business.

Are thinking about "converting?" FTR, Clear Creed may be the most "fundamental" school in the SBC real! I could stand to be corrected but I don't think so.

I will take a critique supplied in a good attitude.

sdg!:smilewinkgrin:

rd

3. nkypastor

nkypastor New Member

Bro. Gill,

I am a 1999 grad of Clear Creek. It's a great school and you will definitely receive an in-depth study of the Bible. Each semester you will take an Old Testament Survey course and a New Testament Survey course. You get to spend a great deal of time in God's Word.

Yes, they are conservative in the sense that they believe in God's Word as the final authority. You will receive a thorough training in Scripture, ministry, and church history.

The only thing I really didn't care for was having to wear a tie to class! :)

By the way, there web site is www.ccbbc.edu. Perhaps you could sign up for an online class and see if it right for you.

Blessings,

nkypastor

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I am a 1995 alumnus of Clear Creek. For the fun of it, I also took some classes there about 2 years ago. I live just about an hour from the campus and am there regularly. I, too, would like to know why you'd consider a SBC school when many IFBs won't. You'll find some like-minded folks among the CC student body as far as IFB goes, simply because many SBC folks in CC's demographic come from marginal SBC churches that are IFB churches in almost every sense of the word.

NKYPASTOR was right. You'll be trained well in Bible, theology and especially ministry. It's like a seminary on the undergraduate level (don't let that discourage you from seminary) :thumbs:

Feel free to PM or whatever you like. I'd love to answer any questions you might have.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Rhet,
    I don't think CC is the most fundamental school in the SBC anymore. I would think Mid-Continent would probably have that reputation. There would've been a time many years ago when CC would have been, but those days are long gone. CC is not liberal by any stretch of the imagination, though.

Was that attitude okay? :)

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Either Clear Creek or Mid-Continent, and I'll add Boyce to that mix, also, will be overall, very good choices, IMO, of schools here in KY. :thumbsup: One state of KY rating places Mid- Continent, recently, in a tie for the second best academic college in KY, a mere .02 point behind the one rated #1, if memory serves as to the point differential. (I'm not exactly sure how that was arrived at.) Two of our last four pastors are/were Clear Creek grads, and I know a couple more, as well. If I actually had to pick, I would say Clear Creek, merely because I know a bit more about it than the other two. If one is looking for some easy route, one should try somewhere else, for that ain't gonna happen, here in KY at these three schools.

Ed

7. Brother Gill

Brother Gill New Member

Why if I am IFB go to CLear Creak.

Well if you Dear Bro.,

If you are IFB, why then would you want to go to an SBC school? Just wondering not trying to mind your business.

If you have read my post " Please explain the KJV " you will see where I am coming from. I think I will, like many IFB join the SB but keep my roots. This is more common that most people think. I am not 100% sure at this time what I am going to do and why...I am KJV..soulwinning...seperated...Baptist but Love every one...even the Southern Baptist...lol. In fack at Slidell Bible seminary they are a Southern Baptist church but are KJVO. They also support only KJVO missionary. I am not sure how all the whole Southern Baptist churches are. I know that some are good and some are not. Kinda just like the IFB. All churches for that matter. Please read my post on the " Please explain the KJV." I am trully seeking. But please respond in love because I might just know you...lol ...Like Jim who responded to it.

#7 Brother Gill, Jan 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2007
  8. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom Response

Tom,

Is Mid Continent still owned by those associations? If so, does it fulfill these criteria?

Please advise!:godisgood:

sdg!

rd

9. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

What's the criterion for determining whether a school is "Southern Baptist"? I can't find either Clear Creek or Mid-Continent, or Mid-America in Memphis for that matter, receive any funding from the SBC at all.

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Jack,
    You won't find them. They are receiving funding from their respective state conventions and their trustees are pretty much elected by the respective state conventions. But they're still SBC schools.

Only the seminaries receive SBC funding and have their trustees elected by the SBC. MidAmerica is not one of them. They are not technically a SBC seminary, though they have all the marks otherwise (except for funding and trustee election).

Rhet,
    I'm not sure about Mid-Continent's ownership. I do not know for sure if they receive KBC funding or if the KBC elects their trustees.

11. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

I guess I was under the impression that funding and electing of trustees by a state convention or the SBC was the criterion for calling a school "Southern Baptist". If that's the case, then only Clear Creek, mentioned above, meets that definition, since it is funded by, and has trustees elected by, the Kentucky Baptist Convention. Mid-America is private and independent, and Mid-Continent is operated by a group of churches within several associations in Illinois, Kentucky and Tennessee.

Until reading this post, Mid-America was the only one I was aware of. How many of these other small, regional Bible colleges are there that relate predominantly to Southern Baptist churches?

12. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

This is kind of a distinct topic, but maybe a school can be defined as "Southern Baptist" in a way similar to that of a local church. The convention doesn't support the church, but the church the convention. Likewise with a school. Even if the convention doesn't use cooperative program money to support it, the school might support the churches and convention.

13. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mid America Alum Response

Hey gang:

You can put this is the "for what it is worth" file. The SBC has some tendencies like our beloved federal government. If they put the $ in, then they are going to want to run and control the organization. An example might be, we give you the money for your budget then we can appoint the Board of Trustees. This of course is done by the SBC entity that does those sorts of things be it the local state conventions with the local colleges or the national entities like the seminaries or agencies or boards. This can be seen in the recent exodus of many of the formerly state schools. This is the present situation with Belmont in Nashville. I know that this is way too oversimplified but you can understand the gist of the deal.

Mid America, Luther Rice, Criswell College, et al, etc. may not want the SBC money b/c they have their own agendas and want to stay "in" and "out" at the same time.

Just something to thing about. And I know this could possibly happen in an alternative universe.

Just one old man's opinion.:laugh:

sdg!:thumbsup:

rd

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Rhet asked
    Technically, Mid-Continent University (in Mayfield, Kentucky)is not owned by the Associations (in three different states--Ky, Tenn, Ill), but the relationship allows them to nominate two trustees each, at least one of them a layman or laywoman.

Mid-Continent identifies itself as Southern Baptist and Kentucky Baptist. It supports and cooperates with both. It is definitely conservative, but I would not describe it as fundamentalist. A recent revision of our by-laws, recommended by President Bob Imhoff, states that the school is guided by a Biblical world view, and holds to an divinely inspired, inerrant Bible.

One other interesting thing. Every professor is required to undergird his courses with, and teach them from a Biblical World View. And to write down specifically how they plant to do that.

At one time, Mid-Continent was strongly Calvinistic and Landmark. No longer, I regret to say. although there are a some of each still around.

The Old Bible College is now a college within the University, and teaching and graduating more preachers than ever before. When I went on the board of trustees in 1998, we had 171 students. Today, 1,300.

#14 Tom Butler, Jan 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2007