1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what do you want to be called?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Tom Bryant, Dec 27, 2009.

1. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Christian is the best. It's what believers were first called, let's never let anyone take that from us. Or let others confuse us on it's meaning.

#41 David Michael Harris, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2009
  2. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I think we should all use our screen names and add "ian" or "ist"

So you can refer to me as a Zrs6v4ian or Zrs6v4ist...

nevermind :)

3. Victorious

Victorious Member

LOL!!! :laugh:

4. drfuss

drfuss New Member

A clear putdown? Come on Tom, is it possible that you Calvinists do this putdown stuff all the time and don't realize it? Such as saying you believe in the sovereignty of God suggesting Non-Calvinist don't believe in the sovereignty of God. Or calling Calvinism the Doctrines of Grace suggesting that Non-Calvinists don't believe in God's Grace.

I don't understand how a Calvinist can object to putdowns when they do it all the time.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Your point is reasonable, and some Calvinists should plead guilty. But context is important. We not talking about your coming up to me and asking my view on predestination.. If I answer "I hold to the doctrines of grace" or "I'm a sovereign grace guy," I'm are using shorthand (or is it longerhand) to describe Calvinism. It's answering the question about what I believe, not what you don't.

Now, if I ask you about your soteriology, and you answer, and I respond, "well I believe in the doctrines of grace" or I hold to the sovereignty of God," now you have a putdown. Context and emphasis, that's the difference.