1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do you......

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by GloryBound, Sep 15, 2003.

1. GloryBound

GloryBound New Member

look for when seeking a new IFB church home? Are there questions that should be asked right up front? Are there things in writing you ask to see? I need some help as my husband and I are about to go on that journey. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

~GloryBound~

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    One should always ask for a copy of the church Constitution and By laws, for starters. [​IMG]

3. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Okay, well first of all I look to see if they serve liver in a hut . [​IMG]

Okay, seriously....I look to see that they use the Bible, that they believe in the trinity, water baptism by submersion, the pastor is a good speaker and uses the Bible in his messages. That the people are friendly and that the church seems to be growing, not stagnating. I look to see if their baptistry looks like it's used a lot, and believe it or not, I look to see if they care to keep their bathroom sanitary...you can tell a lot about a church by whether they think it's important enough to clean their bathroom. I look to see if there are children's programs and if their style of music is more reverent and uplifting than toe tapping. I look for a place where there are people like us, but other kinds of people too. I look for a church that inspires and edifies me and helps me to grow in the Lord.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

One of the questions I ask is "Can I be ministered to and can I minster to others here." I often ask, "Would I feel comfortable inviting someone here?"

5. GloryBound

GloryBound New Member

Thank you all for your input. We will ask for bylaws. We are now visiting 3 churches so far and each was so very different from the other. We do not have any IFB churches in the town we live in so we must seek them out in other cities.

We do not feel we should just walk into a church and sit down and call it home as we did in the church we just left. Leaving was very heart breaking and difficult for us and we do not wish to repeat that again anytime soon.

In the three churches we visited, each calls many things the other churches are doing un-scriptural and not of God. Selecting a church is going to be very difficult for my husband and I since we ourselves are unsure about some of the issues they differ on.

We have thought about just going to all three churches. One week at one, second at another and so on until the Lord makes it clear to us where we should attend. Would there be anything sinful with doing that? We could split our tithing between them. Or is this a bad idea?

~GloryBound~

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. If you're not giving your tithing to your previous church, then whatever church you're in is quite acceptable.

Having had to do the "church shopping" several times (thanks to the military), you've been given some pretty good ideas here. And you've got a very good one yourself.

Before joining any of those churches, go for at least a full month to every service and activity you can attend.

Ask for the financial statement (monthly, quarterly, annually, whatever they offer). If they won't give you a financial statement, or tell you that all they have is the checkbook, that's a problem.

Ask who the associate pastor(s), deacons or trustees are. In a larger church (over 200 regular attendance), any church that doesn't have at least someone helping the pastor is setting themselves up to overburden and burn out the pastor.

Definitely review the church constitution and doctrinal statements. If they tell you that their church constitution and/or doctrinal statements are the Bible, you need to prepare a couple of dozen questions about your personal viewpoints of scripture doctrine (as was mentioned above, what part baptism plays in salvation, the Trinity, virgin birth, resurrection, etc.).

And pray unceasingly for God to lead you where He wants you. It might feel right to you, but in the back of your head, you might be hearing that still, small voice saying "keep going."

7. GloryBound

GloryBound New Member

Thank you Brother Don for enlightening me in some things I would have never thought to ask. We never received any kind of financial statement in the church we just left, nor did we ever have a meeting like my sisters church had once a month. Not that I thought they were misusing the funds, but I did wonder sometimes why no one ever knew any of the finances there at the church.

One of the churches we visited had their "Tithes and Offerings" listed in their bulletin along with their weekly budget need and amount given to missions. I didn't know a church would do that. I can see already that we are going to learn many new things in our search for a church home.

I am going to print out all your remarks so I will be sure to ask them for/watch for the things you all have mentioned. Each of you have been a wonderful help to me and I feel more confident already. My husband and I are going to move on in the direction the Lord has prepared for us.

~GloryBound~