1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What doctrines are wrong . . .

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Amazing isn't it. I ask for doctrinal errors in The Living Bible (of all things) and the KJVo's turn it into a KJV only fuss! :rolleyes: :D [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    TheLiving Bible, has some renderings that are amusing in nature, some embarrassing, and some downright offensive (please read these exact quotations and forgive the "gutter language").

In I Samuel 20:30 we read, "Saul boiled with rage. 'You son of a bitch!' he yelled at him." The wording of John 9:34 is in a similar vein: "'You illegitimate bastard, you!' they shouted."

In I Kings 18:27 the LB reads, "About noontime, Elijah began mocking them. 'You'll have to shout louder than that,' he scoffed, 'to catch the attention of your god! Perhaps he is talking to someone, or is out sitting on the toilet, or maybe he is away on a trip, or is asleep and needs to be wakened!"

I Samuel 13:11 reads, "But as she was standing there before him, he grabbed her and demanded, 'Come to bed with me, my darling.'" In vs. 20 "Her brother Absalom asked her, 'Is it true that Amnon raped you? Don't be so upset, since it's all in the family anyway.'"

Hosea 4:11 speaks of "wine, women and song."

Matthew 2:6 reads, "O little town of Bethlehem." This is taken from the Christmas song, not from the original Greek text.

Acts 4:36 refers to Barnabas as "Barny the Preacher."

In Acts 1:26 they "drew straws" to determine who would replace Judas as an apostle.

In Acts 10:15, where Peter is given a vision of several different kinds of animals and then told to kill and eat them, the voice from heaven says that this food is "kosher."

In Revelation 1:4 Taylor writes, "From: John. To: the seven churches in Turkey." There was no such country at that time. Revelation 1:8 reads, "I am the A and the Z" (Hugo McCord does the same thing in his version). Revelation 2:15 reads, "Yes, you have some of these very same followers of Balaam among you" (the text literally says "Nicolaitans").

Matthew 16:18 reads, "You are Peter, a stone; and upon this rock I will build My Church." This could almost be construed as a reference to Peter as the rock upon which the church would be built.

Matthew 7:12 reads, "Do for others what you want them to do for you. This is the teaching of the law of Moses in a nutshell" (the text literally says, "this is the law and the prophets").

[from Versions of the Bible http://www.zianet.com/maxey/Ver4.htm ]

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Each MV should be judged on its own merit. You cannot with any measure of honesty lump them into one pile simply to make it easier to attack them.

The NASB is not the same as the NIV for a reason. The translators hold a different opinion on how the Bible should be translated. They are both different from the Living Bible for the same reasons and more.

An indictment against one does not apply to another. It would be similar to me saying that since both you and Cynthia McKinney are from Georgia, you must be profoundly liberal... regardless of what you say or do to the contrary.

You have gone beyond guilt by association to guilt by an association that does not exist.

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    POR, can you back up your views with SCRIPTURE? or is your view just another cloud without rain?

This thread is about doctrines...and one doctrine that's of recent vintage, totally man-made, & totally WRONG is the KJVO myth. No support from either Scripture or reality.

5. Exile

Exile New Member

I never cared much of the Living Bible, in part for its obvious prejudice in favor of Arminianism, but it was helpful in leading many young persons to start reading the Word. It was never intended to be used for serious study. The same is true for The Message. As long as people know what they're reading, I have no problem with paraphrases. At least they spark interest, and occasionally give fresh insight.

6. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

It doesn't sound like the paraphrase is "kosher" for small children to read. ;)

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny. The biggest "Gripe" people have with Ken Taylor is that he is
    And me, I would say that is one of the GOOD parts of the Living Bible paraphrase!!

8. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Au Contrare (or however you spell it....)

Your implication that a non KJVo does not believe the KJV is the Word-Of-God, could not be further from the truth. I don't know anybody on this board that says that. KJVo's like to use that pathetic argument a lot and personally it gets old. [​IMG]

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

"Au contraire." Now you're set for future use! [​IMG]

10. Plain ol' Ralph

Plain ol' Ralph New Member

Au Contrare (or however you spell it....)

Your implication that a non KJVo does not believe the KJV is the Word-Of-God, could not be further from the truth. I don't know anybody on this board that says that. KJVo's like to use that pathetic argument a lot and personally it gets old. [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Phillip? Or is this the other Phillip, who is obviously carrying on another conversation with some one else he believes had said something that goes along with the above quote?

I never said anything of the sort,so what on God's green earth are you implicating?

By the all-so-often implication by the "majority" here, anything that calls itsself a "Bible" containing in the least the Gospel of Jesus Christ, is a Bible, inclusive: The Living Bible.paraphrase or not. So something is arie, friend, something; mebe like alter-ego reasoning or sumthin?

So, by your estimation,is anything that omits what the KJB includes, being it IS the Word of God, asyou have concurred, and along with the alterable conception of what the Word of God is actually saying by the use of grammar, etc. still the Word of God? Or maybe just a facsimile, or at least, a paraphrase? :rolleyes:

Epostulate, please; within reason of course. :D [​IMG] ;) [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Plain ol' Ralph

Plain ol' Ralph New Member

"Au contraire." Now you're set for future use! [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Thank you,Marcia,that is how I spell it too, except maybe "au contraire", or does it require capitalization?

"Set me" for future use! :D

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

"Au contraire." Now you're set for future use! [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Thanke ye verily muche! (See, I even use bad grammer in olde English! [​IMG]

13. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

"Au contraire." Now you're set for future use! [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Thank you,Marcia,that is how I spell it too, except maybe "au contraire", or does it require capitalization?

</font>[/QUOTE]POR, how you gonna be set for future use when the KJV gets so outdating that it can't be read?

Will you finally pick up a NKJV? [​IMG]

14. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Two Phillip's on this board? Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

</font>[/QUOTE]It depends on if you are starting a sentence with it. If it's in the middle of the sentence, then "au contraire" is fine. Otherwise, "Au contraire." [​IMG]

It simply means, "to the contrary."

former French major (for almost 2 yrs.),
    Marcia

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. You are it. We only allow one person with a name used anywhere on the BB.

YOU CAN'T PASS THE BUCK! :eek: :eek: