1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does 1 Corinthians Verses 6,7,14,15 mean??????

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Joe

Joe New Member

It's still a question, not a statement. No contradiction. It's Paul's point of view.
    He could have been wrong, as obviously, he was incorrect.
    There are examples of godly men with long hair in the Bible

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

from elite.net...

In 1 Corinthians 11:14 the Greek word translated "long hair" is komao which means tresses of hair or locks. It comes from the root word meaning "to take care of" which indicates some kind of preparation to make the hair appear in tresses. Komao appears only three times in the Bible, and all three times are right here in the 11th chapter of 1 Corinthians. The usual word for hair is thrix. It is possible Paul is referring to some pagan practice of fixing the hair in a feminine manner, and this is what he is condemning for men, although condoning for women. Some hairstyles were considered immodest and condemned in 1 Timothy 2:9 and 1 Peter 3:3. At any rate, Paul would not teach anything contrary to the rest of scripture.

1 Corinthians 11:13 says, "Judge for yourselves...." and verse 16 seems to imply there was no custom concerning this in the churches. It seems the interpretation is up to each individual depending on the cultural standards of their day. I think the New Bible Commentary sums up best how we should look at this issue, "To dress with decorum is a Christian principle of permanent validity for the outward appearance reflects the inner attitude. How this principle finds expression in detail will vary from place to place and from age to age."

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1. You point is a moot point since it has nothing to do with this NT dispensation, and applies only to the nation of Israel who lived under the law.
    2. It was the OT law that provided for this dispensation of a man being set apart for God by certain provisions:
    a. not cutting his hair.
    b. not touching any dead thing.
    c. could not drink wine or any strong drink.

His life was set apart for God's service in the way that he lived, and even in the manner that he dressed. There are no Nazarites today.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly. Would God in one place in the Bible encourage long hair, and then in another place condemn it?

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

2 Tim. 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Perhaps the word 'long' used to mean something different back then? Do we have a Biblical measurement of say "hair longer than a shirt/robe collar is too long" or perhaps, "hair that extends past a man's belt is too long"?

Nah, don't think so. So who decides how long is too long? Oh wait, I know, it's that silly priesthood of the believer thing again! How dare God expect us to use the intelligence He gave us? :rolleyes:

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't know what elite.com is, or who you are quoting from. I will just say they are wrong. Their information is suspect. And their comments on the passage are way off base. They don't even bother to take the context of the passage into consideration.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

So what is your point?
    Are you going to give up eating pork?
    Are you going to give up worshiping on Sundays and worship on Saturday (the Sabbath) instead?
    Are you going to keep all the feasts--Tabernacles, Pentecost, Atonement, Passover, etc.

Or don't you bother to take "All Scripture" in its context?

9. Joe

Joe New Member

Exactly! Can't condemn something which can't be defined (aside from what culture dictates). My hair is down to my shoulders or more, yet I don't consider it long.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe you have not taken the context into consideration (v. 13)

It's easy to context lift passages to say what you want them to say.

Do tell us how long is "long". My hair is about 1.5" on top and 1/4 inch everywhere else. To me, 3" on top, and 1" on the sides and back is "long", and I know it's time for a haircut. My wife will even say my hair is getting long. Am I going against nature at that point?

#30 webdog, Dec 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2007
  11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

My point is you can't just dismiss the OT because you like the reading of the NT better.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

My point is taking Scripture in context:

The Bible says: "There is no God."
    Yes it really does.

However it says: "The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God." If you are not going to take things in context then why even bother having a meaningful discussion concerning the Scripture. I can do battle that way with most cults.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and as I have said, the context includes verse 13.

13Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is a Biblical mandate and has nothing to do with culture. It has nothing to do with Nazarites. If you want to know objectively what that verse means then you must study the entire passage right from verse one and find out what "covering" meant as it pertains to a head-covering for a woman, and what "covering" meant as it pertained to long hair on a woman. Obviously if the Bible speaks of long hair on a woman just a couple verses earlier, then it definitely marks a differentiation between short hair for men. You have to make an argument with God for having hair down to your shoulders. Find out what the verse means. Study the entire chapter. Be honest about it.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think the above needs repeating.

Again, how long is too long?

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Young's Translation

1 Corinthians 11:13 In your own selves judge ye; is it seemly for a woman uncovered to pray to God?

It is a rhetorical question that comes to a conclusion.
    After all that he has taught them previously, they should now properly conclude that it is improper for a woman to pray with her head uncovered. This is a foregone conclusion. Paul has already stated this quite plainly in the beginning of this discussion. This is simply a conclusion stated in the form of a rhetorical question.

The judge ye, is like saying, Judge and see if I am correct or not. Or, can you not see that this is correct? Judge this to be correct. That is the context.

#36 DHK, Dec 20, 2007
  17. Joe

Joe New Member

I agree.

Alright, I will study this tonight. Wikipedia appears to be in agreement with you.
    Either way, it won't make much difference to me since there is no clear cut definition of long hair except what Culture dictates. My hair isn't that long anyhow, but again, that is an opinion. It is very similar to the picture of the boy on this wikipedia link, except I have bangs and blondish hair. Certainly not a girly look

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_hair

#37 Joe, Dec 20, 2007
  18. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

We have a punctuation problem here. DHK;s Young's translation places a semicolon where other translations (KJV, NAS, NIV) place a colon.

The problem?

A semi colon merely separates two related sentences into proper inflection in order for them to become a complete thought.

A colon on the other hand is placed before either a sequence of item (ie. I like these colors: red, blue and green) or an item of choice (ie Judge for yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?)

Perhaps one of the Greek scholars could explain how punctuation is decided upon during translation into English? Until then, I'll go with the three versions I trust the most, those listed above and interpret this verse to mean I needs to be using the brain God gave me and "judge for myself".

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

"I will just say that they are wrong". :)

Are you going to tell us how long, "long" is?

20. Joe

Joe New Member

Since it says, "in yourself judge ye", this would only be his opinion. This is probably why he hasn't answered you.

Interesting MK.....

#40 Joe, Dec 20, 2007