1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does "chosen" mean?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 12strings, Dec 3, 2011.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Matthew 22:2-14, "The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son. "And he sent out his slaves to call those who had been invited to the wedding feast, and they were unwilling to come. "Again he sent out other slaves saying, `Tell those who have been invited, "Behold, I have prepared my dinner; my oxen and my fattened livestock are all butchered and everything is ready; come to the wedding feast." ' "But they paid no attention and went their way, one to his own farm, another to his business, and the rest seized his slaves and mistreated them and killed them. "But the king was enraged, and he sent his armies and destroyed those murderers and set their city on fire. "Then he ^said to his slaves, `The wedding is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy. `Go therefore to the main highways, and as many as you find there, invite to the wedding feast.' "Those slaves went out into the streets and gathered together all they found, both evil and good; and the wedding hall was filled with dinner guests. "But when the king came in to look over the dinner guests, he saw a man there who was not dressed in wedding clothes, and he ^said to him, `Friend, how did you come in here without wedding clothes?' And the man was speechless. "Then the king said to the servants, `Bind him hand and foot, and throw him into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.' "For many are called, but few are chosen."

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

(refering to Rom. 11:5) ...possibly

(I Peter 2;9) I believe most scholars would say that 1 Peter was written to a mixed group of believers, jew and Gentile. At the very least, ! peter 2:9 has been used by Christians of ever stripe to refer to the present church, not Just Israel. Is there any evidence that this is not the case... Is it an error to apply 1 Peter to the church?

[/QUOTE]

Eph. 1:5 5 he predestined us for madoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will,

3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it is error. The Church is not a nation nor is it a royal preisthood. We have apostles, preachers, and teachers we have no priest only Catholic's have priest. Baptist do not. The whole verse below is speaking of Jews alone. These men who say Peter was preaching to gentiles here are simply wrong wether or not they might have been some in the crowd. Not to mention Corneilus was the only Gentile I know of who Peter preached to. Peter simply wasn't chosen for the Gentiles Paul was.
    1Pe 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
    After He has chosen us "in Him". You see one verse at a time is alright as long as you don't forget what the previous verse says. As I explained before in my last post. A quote from my last post this thread;
    I admit there is the possibility God knew I would be born and even when but the truth is the only elect chosen before Christ, was the Jew. Christ may have chosen to save me but not before He had convinced me of Him Self and convicted me of my sins. I'm chosen for Salvation but only in the sense of being part of the whole world My Lord died for. Salvation is for every mother's child No where does God's word ever limit Salvation to a preselect few.
    MB

#24 MB, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2011
  5. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Do people believe that the wedding already has taken place and those who are in Him washed in the blood and dressed in white? That all those who are not in Him are those that are cast in the fire.

Luke 3:
    21 When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened 22 and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”

That is enlightening

6. 12strings

12strings Active Member

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A.T. Robertson in WPNT wrote om Mt. 22:14, " For many are called, but few chosen (polloi gar eisin klêtoi oligoi de eklektoi). This crisp saying of Christ occurs in various connections. He evidently repeated many of his sayings many times as every teacher does. There is a distinction between the called (klêtoi) and the chosen (eklektoi) called out from the called."

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Eph. 2:10. "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them."

9. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::applause::applause:

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Mb......you have completely missed what God has done in redemptive history.

12 strings has offered good verses.....

Mb....you said this;
    :eek::eek::confused: The possibility???
    MB....what are you talking about! Are speaking of the God of the bible???
    5Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

11. psalms109:31

the priest are few, but the saved will be like the sands of the seashore. Most people are sheep they are followers. I believe in the few chosen for the work God prepared in advance for them to do. God through them will make amount saved like the sands of the sea shore. The promise to Abraham will be fulfilled praise Jesus

12. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Elementry School, Chosen Meant....

.....which team I'd be on, and how popular I was among my peers by how quickly I was picked, as well as how good I was at that particular game and sport in which teams were being chosen for. :laugh:

Some may ask, just what does this have to do with anything to do with the question, and I'll say, very little if we believe that Christ came to save any who (1) realize they have sinned, (2) Realize that Christ died for their sin, (3) Realize that works cannot get you saved or into heaven, (4) Realize that you need to accept the "gift" of salvation that God has given us through His only-begotten Son, and "ask him to be our Savior" and come into our heart and life, and live for Him and walk that narrow, rugged, and at times, difficult path to heaven's narrow door. :praying:

If it serves to make the "chosen" crowd happy, then after I chose Him as Savior, He chose me, back. AMEN! :praying:

If you can read this, maybe, just maybe, you are making the act of following Jesus a tad bit too difficult to obtain! I don't believe God meant for it to be so hard to come back to fellowship with Him. At least, I don't believe coming to Jesus should be like some of denominational, secret formula type thing....

#32 righteousdude2, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2011
  13. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

14. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here, are you saying the "kingdom of priests" in Revelation does not refer to all believers, but only a few of them?

15. psalms109:31

I am talking about Rev. 7 type of stuff.

I see a priesthood chosen and through them an amount saved that can't be counted by men. The amount saved will be like the sands of the sea shore in other words God gives us no limit to amount that will be saved. God knows He has the end result He is God.

James 3:1
    Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.

Ezekiel 3:
    “Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the people of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me. 18 When I say to a wicked person, ‘You will surely die,’ and you do not warn them or speak out to dissuade them from their evil ways in order to save their life, that wicked person will die for[Or in; also in verses 19 and 20] their sin, and I will hold you accountable for their blood. 19 But if you do warn the wicked person and they do not turn from their wickedness or from their evil ways, they will die for their sin; but you will have saved yourself.
    20 “Again, when a righteous person turns from their righteousness and does evil, and I put a stumbling block before them, they will die. Since you did not warn them, they will die for their sin. The righteous things that person did will not be remembered, and I will hold you accountable for their blood. 21 But if you do warn the righteous person not to sin and they do not sin, they will surely live because they took warning, and you will have saved yourself.”

James 5:20
    remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of their way will save them from death and cover over a multitude of sins.

#35 psalms109:31, Dec 6, 2011
  16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, it is bed-rock baptist theology of the priesthood of believers. Google it!

Next, as far as we do not have Priests, see Rev. 1:6.

All these arguments to nullify 1 Peter 2:9-10 are a joke. Galatians chapter 3 makes it very clear this "traditional dispensationalism" view of a wall between the church and Israel is a fiction.

17. 12strings

12strings Active Member

WHAT IS GOING ON????!!!! Yesterday I agreed with Matt Wade and today I'm agreeing with Van!!!??

This is really blowing my mind... :laugh:

18. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Well, it is 73 degrees where I'm at right now and it's December. Strang things happen.

19. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

#39 MB, Dec 6, 2011
  20. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    12Strings
    This passage proves that our election depends entirley on our being sanctified first, because it is through sanctification that we are elect.

1Pe 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
    MB