1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does ETERNAL mean?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Amy.G, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

and that's it...why should i worry about any 'relationship' with Christ? i'm already saved right? i already have my 'get out of jail free card', so i'm good on any decision i make from here on out...

my mother even told me just a month ago, that since she's saved, she can sit at home and do nothing...not pick up a bible, not attend one church service...do NOTHING...no feeding or clothing the poor, not even praying...(obviously she is very active in her church, btw...she was just making a point), but what a dead faith that is...but this IS true about her, bless her heart, but she is the most self righetous and holier than thou person I know...but I love her anyway...

In XC
    -

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Recall that the particular error that you mention is only central to a certain group of OSAS people.

1. 4-point Calvinists
    2. Certain (very confused) Arminians stuck making a Calvinist argument.

The rest of the OSAS guys actuall accept the Bible doctrine in Rom 2:6 on perseverance of the saints.

Bob

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The bible says that when we are saved and God comes to dwell within us, we are made new creatures in Christ. In simple terms, our "want to" changes.

If the above post is someone's view of salvation, they should examine themselves to see if they are in the faith.

People who are saved are changed people and have a love for God they didn't have before. When we genuinely love someone, we will want to please them.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

TO THE RESIDENT BB ARMINIANS...WHAT DOES ETERNAL MEAN? (Yes, I am shouting...you seem to either be deaf or refuse to answer this simple question).

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    To my fellow arminians "what does WORLD MEAN"??

As for eternal as found in 1John 5 -- it means that as long as one believes in Christ they have eternal life -- for 1John 5 does NOT promise that those who DO NOT believe in Christ ALSO have it.

(Nor can 1John 5 be bent in such a way as to negate Rom 11, Matt 18, Ezek 18, John 15, Gal 5:4... )

Obviously.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

World means.....ready?......WORLD!

What does ETERNAL mean??????

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #47 BobRyan, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2010
  8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    John is the one that states the condition in 1John 5.

Paul states the condition in Romans 11.

I just report the news.

10. RAdam

RAdam New Member

How can you say Jesus saved you, He paid it all, etc and then say, "I'm going to heaven because I...? If you are going to heaven because of something you did, then Jesus didn't really save you, you saved yourself.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you have faith in Christ? (I'm not asking where it came from, but OUR faith is required to meet God's condition).

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Adam,
    You state in your profile, concerning your own salvation:
    If you are saved solely on the merits of the righteousness of Jesus Christ, then how do you know you are saved? When did this happen? What evidence do you have? Are you sure it happened?
    Really, how do you know that you are saved?

I know I am saved because I believed. There was a time, a place, when I put my faith in the sacrificial work of Christ. But if you didn't do that, then according to your own testimony what happened? How was the righteousness of Jesus applied to you by the Holy Spirit? Did you just all of a sudden feel a jolt of lightning? a warm fuzzy feeling? Did an extra-terrestrial being come to you? What happened if you did not believe the gospel message by faith?

13. RAdam

RAdam New Member

There's a difference in saying, "I know I'm going to heaven, or I have assurance of going to heaven because of x or y," and saying, "I'm going to heaven because I..." In one instance, we are talking about assurance of salvation, in the other actual salvation. I have no problem, and in fact indorse, the idea of gaining assurance through belief in Jesus Christ, in fact that's what the scriptures teach. My problem is with the idea of saying that salvation itself is based on belief. If that is so, then you are your own savior. If you are going to heaven because of something you did, a decision you made, an action you took, then it is not of God but of you.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You said:

"Solely on the merits of the righteousness of Jesus Christ applied by the Holy Spirit according to unconditional election"

Was not this an action based on belief. Was it an action that you took. If not who took the action? When, where, and how were you saved, that you can make such a dogmatic statement as the above?

15. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

God sent us a Savior not a Probation officer! :godisgood:

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This reveals the dark side of the Orthodox churches - they do not have assurance of salvation.

Yes, you do receive a "get out of jail free card" when you believe on Jesus Christ. It is not dependent on keeping his commandments! If it is, then it is by works and not grace.

17. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Indeed, that he must be busy and besides, someone has to work to pay the taxes. :smilewinkgrin:

18. Heavenly Pilgrim

I am with BR on post #45, He said it rather nicely.:thumbsup:

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And what did he say?
    He never answered the question! Is this characteristic of both of you?

Did you read the title of the thread?

What does ETERNAL mean?

Is it so hard to give a simple answer?

20. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Yes, and it also clearly indicates one can believe in vain. 1Co 15:2 By which also ye are saved, IF ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

Why the admonition to keep in memory what Paul has preached, without which ones belief might end up vain? Will believing in vain save anyone?