1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What does ETERNAL mean?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Jedi Knight, Feb 19, 2012.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly. If I had to "hang on" to my salvation and hope to retain it, what kind of promise is that? I'd have my name graven on His hand - no wait, erase that - nah, write it again - wait! She sinned!! Take it off!! Awww - she did well, write it again. Goodness!!!

Nope - If it was up to me, I'd be right there with you too. But praise God, it's not up to me. It's by His grace that I have anything.

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Amen, Sissy, amen. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

And from multiple sources -- and I'm not quoting them -- the definition of an eon or age is as I have stated.

Also, anyone knows that the word "eternal" can in no way ever be applied to an age.

I suggest that those who interpreted the word as meaning eternal or forever either had an agenda for doing so, or were influenced by paganism and/or Zoroastrianism.

It is quite clear that to interpret an eon or age as meaning eternal is a grossly false rendering of the term.

For instance, if you study Rotherham's Emphasized Bible, the most literal and faithful to the original languages of any Bible that's ever been produced, you'll see that what I have stated is correct.

4. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ok so you believe that unbelievers will not be punished forever in the lake of fire? I'm I understanding you right?

5. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I'm not saying that because I don't know and neither does anyone else. I'd say that the duration of the punishment or separation is dependent on the person involved and the mercy and justice of God. I could elaborate, but it might get into a very long discourse.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But the word is not eon.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So you are saying that God's punishment will be temporary? That people will get out after a time?

8. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How about the Masters own words? Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.'" Matthew 25:41

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That would be pretty hard to believe wouldn't it:

Revelation 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Revelation 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But apparently Mr. Wrenn has a different understanding of Scripture on this.

11. Moriah

Moriah New Member

We no longer have to do the works of the law, i.e. circumcision, sin offerings, etc., (see Colossians 2:14) that does NOT mean we do not have to do right and good deeds.

What good is it if someone claims to have faith but has no good deeds? Can such faith save them? Faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that.

You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? Abraham was considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar. You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.

The scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend.

You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

Do you agree with what I posted? No, then you do NOT believe the Word of God, because I took this from the Bible. See James 2:14-22.

12. Moriah

Moriah New Member

You call God Master. Let me ask you, do you think you are a servant then, correct? If you are a servant, do you not believe you have to do anything God asks? And when God your Master comes and catches you not doing what He told you to do, what do you think will happen to you?

Luke 12
    35 “Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning, 36 like servants waiting for their master to return from a wedding banquet, so that when he comes and knocks they can immediately open the door for him. 37 It will be good for those servants whose master finds them watching when he comes. Truly I tell you, he will dress himself to serve, will have them recline at the table and will come and wait on them. 38 It will be good for those servants whose master finds them ready, even if he comes in the middle of the night or toward daybreak. 39 But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming, he would not have let his house be broken into. 40 You also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.”

42 The Lord answered, “Who then is the faithful and wise manager, whom the master puts in charge of his servants to give them their food allowance at the proper time? 43 It will be good for that servant whom the master finds doing so when he returns. 44 Truly I tell you, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 45 But suppose the servant says to himself, ‘My master is taking a long time in coming,’ and he then begins to beat the other servants, both men and women, and to eat and drink and get drunk. 46 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the unbelievers.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, I do works. I do works because I am absolutely changed by God. I am unbelievably amazed by God and cannot fathom doing anything BUT serving God in my walk with Him. I do these things BECAUSE of what He has done for me. I do not do them to try to earn anything from Him, to try to keep my salvation, to try to earn my way to heaven or anything like that.

Author Greg Gilbert puts it this way:
    “When we stand before God at the judgment, what do you plan to do or say in order to convince Him to count you righteous and admit you to all the blessings of His kingdom? ... [What could we possibly] hold up before Him and say ‘God, on account of this justify me!’

“ I’ll tell you what every Christian whose faith is in Christ alone will do, by God’s grace. They will simply and quietly point to Jesus... ‘ O God, do not look for any righteousness in my own life, but look at your Son. Do not count me righteous because of anything I’ve done or am. Count me righteous because of Jesus. He lived the life I should have lived. He died the death I deserve. I have renounced all other trusts, my plea is Him alone. Justify me O God because of Jesus.” (adapted from “What is the Gospel” p.83)

It is all Him. All that I am is because of Him. All that I do is just because of what He has done.

#33 annsni, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2012
  14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Psalm 14:1 "There is no God."

Do you agree with what I posted? No, then you do NOT believe the Word of God, because I took this from the Bible. See Psalm 14:1.

15. Moriah

Moriah New Member

You do not want to acknowledge that you teach others they do not have to do deeds, nor anything to be saved. I have shown you from scripture that that is not true what you said.

16. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Do not use scripture to try to disprove scripture that is how Satan uses scripture. Check out the temptation of Jesus.

17. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Actually, it is. That's the English rendition of the word.

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Let me interrupt to ask that you all go to the thread I started in the "Prayer Requests" section and read my post there, and then offer your prayers. Thanks!

19. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

My answer would be as I have already stated.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I teach people that they have to do nothing to be saved other than to trust in Jesus - yes, that is true.

But from there, I disciple them to lead a life as a disciple of Christ.