1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What Does "Inspired" Mean, Relative to the Bible?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Archie the Preacher, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archie the Preacher

Hello again, Yeshua

Certainly God has preserved His 'word' or 'words', as the case may be, to be EXACTLY what He intended. I know I can rely on the Bible to tell me everything I need to know to have a relationship with God and live properly. It even tells me when I live improperly how to rectify my misdeeds and regain a proper relationship with Him. (Or how He rectifies...)

This is because what God told 'us', He inspired; and that is how I am sure it is the information He wants us - me - to know.

I think that works, yes. It is probably as good an idea as any. Somewhat like an editor with full editorial authority.

No doubt someone will object on the basis of something he read somewhere - like the two legalist Irish monks in the 'Trinity' video. "Oh! That's the Barfelflingen Heresy denounced by Snuggums the Really, Really Charming." But it is an analogy, and useful for comparison - if pushed too far it will fall short of the original.

In fact, there is ample evidence of several different patterns or forms of how God influenced the writers. Obviously, when God told Jeremiah (Ch 36, v 1 and following) “Get a scroll. Write on it everything I have told you to say ..." the Lord was 'dictating'. There are several places with that formula and I have no doubt the writer did exactly as told.

The books of Psalms and Proverbs were likely written by men who were attempting to honor God, but probably not consciously recording something to be used by God. Although I could be wrong about that.

The Torah, the first five books 'of Moses' were written - according to Jewish tradition and some indications in the Bible - by Moses. As you know, they are the history of the relation between God and Creation - including man - the Fall. It is also the history of the beginning of the Nation (group of related people, not geopolitical entity) of Israel beginning with Abram. Also the giving of the Commandments, the extended Law and the journey from Egypt to what was to be the country of Israel-Judah.

I think it likely Moses had some help with the writing, with Moses as the editor, producer and publisher in the human sense. But as much as Moses (likely) oversaw the writing of the Torah, God kept watch over Moses to make sure it was in accord with God's purposes, desires and intent.

The books of history in the Old Testament, Samuel, Kings, Chronicles, Ezra and Nehemiah were written by men who were likely commissioned by the Kings of Israel. Nearly every country on Earth has kept a record of what went on. I'm sure those men were careful to keep as accurate an account of things as they reasonably expected future generations to read and rely on their work as 'authentic'. I don't think they knew God had influenced the King to insure the history was recorded - I'm not sure the King was aware at the time. Nor do I think the writers knew God was making sure all was done correctly, in accord with His purposes.

The same applies to Job, Ruth and Esther, more or less. I don't think that was ordained by the King, but God 'suggested' to someone to make a record; then ensured the record was correct.

The Gospels were written with the expectation future Christians would read them. I'm not sure any of the writers heard a voice commanding them to write, but God certainly inspired them in any event. Luke mentions feeling a need to write both the Gospel of Luke and Acts of the Apostles, but does not specifically mention the urging of God. (We know he was - now, of course.)

When Paul wrote his letters and Peter and whoever wrote Hebrews and so forth, they were writing with the knowledge they were influencing other Christians and future Christians. I sometimes wonder if Paul was aware he was writing the SOP for the Christian church, but regardless of how 'inspired' the writers 'felt' (feelings are so fleeting and unreliable) they were 'inspired' as they wrote to explain what God wanted written, and what God expected of Christians.

In the matter of much of this, God made sure what was written was what he wanted. I would not be surprised to find (what a neat thought, we will find out) God did in some specific cases 'dictate' the words. For sure, God inspired the subjects and solutions contained therein.

In Revelation, John is commanded to write down what he saw and heard. But that is not the same language as used to Jeremiah. Not that God allowed any errors of fact or substance.

So, of the various forms of 'inspiration' argued by church fathers and church grandsons, it strikes me that most were used at some point or other.

There is a big disagreement about whether there were 'any' errors in the autographs - the original documents of the Bible. It is a silly argument for at least one reason: There are no autographs to be studied. There is NO WAY to determine the matter. I rather suspect - more than suspect - the 'perfection' faction are merely modern day legalists who want to believe more than anyone else and therefore have a claim to more righteousness than others. It reminds me so much of the rabbis who wrote the Mishnah and Gemara and added so many regulations to the Mosiac Law. Remember the ones Jesus identified as " ... you experts in religious law as well! You load people down with burdens difficult to bear, yet you yourselves refuse to touch the burdens with even one of your fingers!" (Luke 11:46)

So I don't really care about the petty and legalistic self-justification argument of 'no errors of any kind'. It is the message that matters; and that is why the Bible can be translated and STILL be authentic, authoritative and the everlasting Word of God.

Yeshua, did I answer your question or put you to sleep? Or both?

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a bit softer in tone, a bit slower at posting,
    ... and a bit less nimble of mind than the Preacher, but I'll interact with you on this issue John.
    ... don't need to be pigeoned as a "liberal", just call me still searching

The concept of inerrancy as it's traditionally taught still troubles me.
    As much as I like the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy, it doesn't fully satisfy me anymore.

Perhaps my unease with it is because my educational background is primarily scientific with any theological training subordinate to it.

Perhaps it's because I'm unsatisfied with the traditional flimsy explanations.

We can appreciate subtle grammar distinctions in the different books of scripture and see that God communicated through the authors different literary styles.

But we also observe how the authors arguments were sometimes swayed by nonscientific thought... dare we call it superstition or ancient beliefs, .. and God even communicated his message through these.

Rob

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! And you thought I was offensive. Never mind about me, I really don't care what you think of me. But hey, you are here insulting some of the greatest evangelical scholars and leaders of the 20th century, men who shaped modern evangelicalism: Francis Schaeffer and Harold Ockenga who I quoted, Lindsell, Machen, Warfield and many, many others. And you think these men were legalists and self-righteous, thinking they were better than others? Not to mention the many wonderful Christians right here on the BB who believe as these men did.

How judgmental!! You think you are better and more enlightened than them, I suppose, because according to you there are errors in the Bible. Unreal.

#43 John of Japan, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014
  4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't even called Archie a liberal yet, just quoted a couple of scholars on it. But don't sell yourself short. You've shown on the BB far more knowledge of Bibliology than he has. He's still saying there are spelling errors in the original, as if they had dictionaries and spelling bees in Bible times.
    Surely you know this is backwards. We don't judge the Bible by science, which is ever changing. Just think how different physics is now from when I took it in high school.

It reminds me of the student who came from hearing a guest lecturer on physics saying, "Wow, that was great. I found out that everything I've just learned in class is wrong!" :tongue3:
    My argument is very simple. Does God have bad breath? In other words, if God breathed out the Scriptures (metaphorically, of course), why in the world would they not be inerrant?
    Sorry, I can't picture what you mean here. Can you give an example?

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing profound, I've read enough old English translations recently to know that what we precieve as a spelling err was probably just another way of spelling the word - grammar and spelling were not standardized but reflected how a word was spoken or pronounced.

I like that picture!
    In the Genesis creation story we see God creating the universe and calling it, "good… very good".
    Interpreters have taken that phrase and imagined perfection – picture a warm, summer day, the grass is always green and never needs mowing, a place where the sun never stops shining.
    The biologist in me envisions a more diverse, wild and grand creation – and the theologian in me agrees: our God can't be held to so clean a definition of "good"; to paraphrase C.S. Lewis, our God isn't tame.
    I have similar thoughts about our concept of biblical inerrancy.
    I accept God's word as authoritative, not because I can demonstrate that it is without error but because it carries his authority.
    Scripture is exactly as God wanted it, with all the bumps; prejudices, biases, ancient tales of war, death, and murders, perceived errors …any ideas an author expressed; they were written with God's full oversight and for his purposes.
    It is inerrant because of its source, not because I can understand it, explain it, or reason it out.

As a result, I don't have to know or explain everything.
    I can wonder and pursue other explainations for a scriptural difficulty that may be out-of-bounds for those structured in a ridged theological framework.

My God doesn’t have bad breath.

Rob

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    was Archie trained/schooled at Fuler? As his replies line up exactly with their answers regarding inspiration, as basically the bible fully inspired in NT regarding jesus and Gospel, the 'spiritual facts", yet were also know errors/mistakes in dating/historical facts/dates etc, especially in OT books?

they would see the bible fully inerrant in area of getting to us the revelation of jesus and the cross, the rest of it, not so much?

#47 Yeshua1, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
  8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arthur doesn't say where he was trained (assuming he was), but Fuller is pretty much as you've painted it. That's if it hasn't changed since Harold Lindsell wrote Battle for the Bible and The Bible in the Balance. To be fair, other seminaries such as Southeastern have come back to an inerrancy position.

#48 John of Japan, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
  9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is correct. Another factor is regional differences, like "Saviour" in England and "Savior" in America. The Greek word for "immediately" occurs usually as eutheos in the Byzantine tradition and euthus in the Alexandrian mss, showing a regional preference. (There are exceptions on both sides.) Neither is right or wrong, just different.

Well said! The doctrine of inspiration should be squarely based on theology proper, the doctrine of God. And Aslan is not tame!

10. Archie the Preacher

Yeshua, I don't think I'm getting it all, but...

If by 'spiritual' you mean the ultimate meaning, yes.

What I'm saying is a name spelled more than one way - which is observed - or the same person identified with more than one name, or a dirt smear on the margins or right through the middle of the scroll makes any difference in the inspiration or authenticity of the message.

No, not at all. All of the Lord's message is intact and suitable for instruction, etc.

11. Archie the Preacher

Thanks, Deacon

Deacon, you're a breath of fresh air. I know you said you were interacting with JoJ, I trust you will permit me to address you?

Sounds familiar. My background is science and lawman; both are rather particular about details, facts and repeatable observations.

Also familiar. 'Because I said so' and 'That's God's secret' never did impress me much.
    Yes, clearly.
    Perhaps even appreciate God's message was initially delivered to a group of people who were late stone-age, perhaps early bronze-age? A discussion of DNA would be very tedious and ultimately useless; so 'blood lines' could be understood and useful, even if not completely accurate?

For that matter, I would not be surprised if 'heredity' is more complex than DNA.

Again, thanks for your input.

12. Archie the Preacher

This is way too funny. John takes my position when he's talking to Deacon! What a HOOT!

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the first place, I never said I disagreed with you on everything. In the second place, theopneustos demands inspiration based on theology proper, and from the start I've believed that and never said anything different. (Look at my post #2 in this thread, which you said in post #7 had no content.) In the third place, one of my early posts to you was that you were mixing up the doctrines of revelation (truth from God) and inspiration--a point you pretty much ignored, then said I didn't know what I was talking about. But that was an attempt to interact with you.

P. S. I can't apologize for misrepresenting you unless you tell me how I did that. Tell me in a PM or right here, either way. You said I would be intellectually dishonest if I didn't, but I honestly don't know how I misrepresented you. Call me dense if you like.

#53 John of Japan, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2014
  14. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No problem Archie, through the grand filter of the internet it may seem like fresh air – but my wife tells me I'm passing gas.

So...is the Bible is only "inspired in matters of faith and practice"?

Rob

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And that is what is wrong with Christianity today. The word of God gets interpreted by manmade science.

16. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

And yet Rev, science and rational thought appear in every logical way to be a gift granted by God.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aside from things in the Word pertaining to Creation what possible meaning do you have that it gets interpreted by manmade science?

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do yuo hold that then originals had no errors/mistakes regrading any thing that was addressed?

that all the names were correct, that all dates were correct, that there were NO mistakes in facts recorded down?

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    many seem to assume that things were just written to culture back then, that somehow we have become more 'enlighted", as per lifestyles/abortion etc!

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, but how can it be logocal and scientific to create theories like Global warming, billions of years old, evolutionary processes, when NONE of them can be verified and proven?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.