1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What Does "Inspired" Mean, Relative to the Bible?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Archie the Preacher, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its as the brother stated, that one attempts to keep intact as much as possible the Grammar/sentence construction.syntax etc of one language going over into another!

for example, one might translate "was a full head taller" as a formal rendering, or "was very tall" for dynamic!

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, that's a pretty good example. Right on target! :thumbsup:

3. Archie the Preacher

Thanks for clarifying

I'll have to look around and see what is available in my own library. (I have a KJV, but find it hard to read in some places. Perhaps I'll have to brush up on my Shakespeare as well.) I'll look into one of the others as well.

I have noted the NET Bible seems to be 'dynamic' in some places at least. The meaning isn't changed, but sort of like your example. I still find it very enjoyable and quite instructive for daily reading.

4. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

good
    I actually address this on my first post on this thread. So no, I didn't ignore it. The writer is expressing what happened from his perspective. I'm not pretending something's not there. Instead, I understand that he's writing just like I would say I saw the sun set or the sun rise. Someone misinterpreting the passage to think that the sun revolves around the earth doesn't present any error in the original words.

As noted above ...
    Again, Galileo misinterpreting the passage doesn't make the passage an error.

5. Archie the Preacher

I really laughed about this one...

{sound of nearly maniacal laughter}You're kidding, right? "Galileo misinterpreting ..."?

No, JBH. No. It was NOT Galileo who did the misinterpreting. It was the "The Bible Says..." faction of Christianity who misinterpreted the Bible and jailed Galileo for being correct. Some four hundred years or so later, Pope John Paul II issued a formal apology in favor of Galileo on behalf of Christendom for the wrong done to Galileo by the faction of "The Bible Says..."

Between the 17th Century, when your "The Bible Says..." forebears jailed Galileo and the last Century, most Christians have realized the mistake.

Do you have any idea of how the "The Bible Says..." faction finally realized their mistake?

Or will you continue to think up excuses not to understand this?

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure why that has to be explained.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again not sure why someone would need this explained. It is rather obvious.

8. Archie the Preacher

Really?

Brother Mitchell, I try to be nice to you; I pray for you and accept you as a Christian brother. But I must point out, YOU need this explained to YOU, as you do not understand this at all. Not a teeny, tiny bit.

Unless you are intentionally being obtuse.

This is reminding me of the impeachment of President Clinton. The impeachment charged perjury, abuse of power and wrongful use of government personnel. His defenders kept repeating "All he did was have sex with an intern..." Completely ignoring the charges.

9. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

You can laugh all you want but I've already explained it. It was a misinterpretation based on Galileo's lack of knowledge. It was language used from the writers perspective. You are reading it incorrectly(like Galileo) and then charging the Bible with an error.

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,"

Unless God made a mistake, there is not error in the passage, just a misinterpretation.

I guess you also think the Bible teaches that trees have hands and can clap as well. "all the trees of the field shall clap their hands." - Isaiah 55:12

If you are going to disagree, at least give a counter argument to what I have given here.

10. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've found Bro. Mitchell to be quite knowledgeable in many areas. I suspect he understands not just Bibliology, but theology in general much better than you. Your Facebook page doesn't list any theological training at all for you, but he is well trained.

But I've found you to be nowhere near the scholar you think you are. (In one post on this forum you referred to "other scholars," meaning you consider yourself to be one.) I recommend that you come on here with a learner's humble attitude instead of this "no one understands this but me" attitude. (But chances are you'll just insult me again, something you appear to enjoy, having done it over and over. :rolleyes: Of course you did apologize--once.)

11. Archie the Preacher

Not laughing now.

You are now obviously lying and you have no regard for the Lord; you are lying about Him as well.

As I told you before, Galileo determined the Sun was the center of the solar system and the Earth revolved around it.

The "Bible says..." crowd said, "Galileo, you're a heretic because the Bible says the Sun goes around the Earth!" Then they put Galileo under house arrest and forced him to recant his position.

Galileo made no mistakes, other than presume the "Bible says..." crowd would be reasonable. The "Bible says..." crowd made the error, and admitted it several centuries later.

I've explained all this prior and you pretend you can't understand. You are lying before God, and it doesn't seem to bother you at all.

Do you really think being stupid or lying gives glory to God?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.