1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What does it mean to say God is "Good"?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by HeirofSalvation, Apr 12, 2013.

1. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

This is very well written and I agree with it. There are some here who believe God can do "whatever" and that would make it good. That is false and proven false by Jesus himself. Jesus said that if he were to deny his Father he would be a liar like those who heard him (Jhn 8:55). God cannot do "whatever" and be good, he must truly do what is good.

Good is not a quality greater than God, but it is a quality that cannot be separated from God, as God IS good, or rather HOLY.

Rev 4:8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.

The very view being discussed here is where Calvinism in particular goes off the tracks.

Source- http://www.pfrs.org/calvinism/calvin09.html

3. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

This argument is critical to the Cal/Arm debate....

Calvinists must insist that ANYTHING they claim God "does" is good, simply because he does it...

But this is not so.
    Calvinists insist that God creates beings who are inescapably pre-disposed towards evil, and are therefore condemned because they are guilty at conception and ALWAYS do that which is evil because it is in their nature to do so.

Calvinists tend to avoid explaining that is was (in fact) GOD HIMSELF who decreed that it would be their nature to always choose that which was evil.
    Calvinism further asserts that men "choose" that which is evil (always) because God has DECREED that it was their nature to do so.

Calvinism further asserts...that mankind exists in that state because of Adam's fall (that's fine) except that, they cannot argue that Adam's wickedness is imparted to ALL of mankind by some necessity....they must admit that all mankind is tainted with the sin nature because God has decreed thus. It seems to me that the Calvinist likes to act as though that nature and pre-disposition towards sin exists inexplicably by some natural phenomena that God had no control over.

It is (vis-a-vis) Calvinism, God's Sovereign decree however, that Adam's sin (and subsequent guilt) is imparted to all of his progeny.

There is NO reason, that this must necessarily be the case... Why exactly, must ALL of Adam's progeny be thus tainted??? Why must they be inescapably tainted by default??
    The Calvinist must admit that this is merely in accord with God's decree.

Calvinism futher asserts, that God has pre-selected a certain "elect" few whom God has chosen to release for his glory from that taint of guilt.
    But, a Calvinist must also submit that God has Sovereignly decreed that any not "chosen" or "elected" must suffer the consequences of their sin (even though it was God's decree that they be inescapably pre-disposed towards such sin to begin with).
    Therefore, the non-Calvinist has a legitimate argument when they assert that that is not in accordance with what is revealed to us as "justice" or "goodness".
    There is a legitimate version of the "Calvinism makes God a moral monster" argument...most people simply rely too much upon emotion to assert it.
    It's a valid argument....it just needs to be articulated correctly. That's the point of this thread.
    God...as he has revealed himself to us in Scriputure, in Natural Theology, and in Intuition, is NOT such a being that he would simply and randomly "choose" to save some...and eternally punish others with no definable explanation.

That is not "Good" nor "Just". And God has told us that he is both.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it does, but you'll just respond by saying no it doesn't. So we're at an impass.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True.

Noncalvinists tend to think of God as a man. That there is a moral standard outside of man and independent of man to which He is bound and by which he is judged. And so the argument against Election is ever "Why doth He yet find fault."

But God is God. By what standard is God measured? If He does this or that, who can bring a charge against Him?

Not only is God God, but He is also the Creator. What He does with His creation is His business. Who will charge him with unfairness? Remember the parable of the workers.

They say they aren't judging God, and they mean it. They say they're rejecting a notion of God that appears to go against His nature. But not His nature as revealed, but the measure of morality to which He holds His creation.

6. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I agree for the most part. God cannot act outside of his nature. If He does something, it's his nature. We say God is love. We see God's love and conclude that God's nature is love. As you said, and I agree, we only know goodness from God. So if God does something, it's good.
    His actions will follow who he is as I gave above. As I asked someone else, on what basis do we call something good or evil. Man cannot say that God cannot be cruel because being cruel is evil. God is not cruel because it's not in his nature to be cruel. God is not cruel. Therefore, we conclude that being cruel is not good.

My example:
    View 1: (incorrect view)
    Truth is good
    God is truth
    God is good

View 2:
    God is good
    God is truth
    Truth is good.

View 2(evil)
    God is good
    God is the opposite of cruel
    Cruel is not good.

No one is arguing that God will act outside of his nature, at least I'm not. However, we learn the nature of God by his actions. So it is by what God does that we learn the nature of God and thus what good is. We don't dictate what God's nature is. We only can see what God does and therefore know his nature. This comes from the reading of his word. What we cannot do is say being cruel is evil and then see if God is cruel. And if God is not cruel, then call Him good. That's backwards. We say being cruel is evil and not good because God is not cruel and thus we conclude that God's nature is not cruel.

#46 jbh28, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2013
  7. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Please explain then, how my own statements require that conclusion. If what you say is so, than my own statements will demonstrate it. I have chosen my words VERY carefully, so, If you cannot force that conclusion from my statements (you can't) than you are wrong. It really is that simple.

8. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

:thumbsup:
    Yes....I agree with your assessment.

#48 HeirofSalvation, Apr 14, 2013
  9. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

#49 HeirofSalvation, Apr 14, 2013
  10. Winman

Winman Active Member

Where I disagree with Calvinism is shown in this statement;

Here is where I would disagree with JBH. He would say that God ordains all that comes to pass, including evil. If so, then evil would be good.

Now, I don't know if that is what JBH believes, but I have seen more than a few Calvinists who hold to this view.

Most Calvinists will deny that God ordains or determines a person to go to hell, they will say he merely passes these persons by and allows them to perish in their own sin. But as HoS has correctly pointed out, it was God who determined they would be born sinners incapable of doing good. And if JBH is correct, all this is GOOD, simply because this is what God has done.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If God is His own standard by which He can judged, if He is the personification of goodness, etc., then whatever He does is good and godly, because He has done it.

To say no is to say that He is not His own standard. That a standard exists outside Him by which He can be judged, and you have set yourself up as His accuser.

It really is that simple. He is God or He isn't. If He is God, than whatever He does is good for no other reason than that He has done it.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You think of Him like you think of men, that there is a moral standard outside of Himself by which He can be judged.

See my post above.

The argument that Paul preempts belies your assertion.

"Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own?" If God created the wicked for the Day of Judgment, who is going to correct Him, and by what standard?

13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd layeth down his life for the sheep. Jn 10:11

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

15. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

#55 HeirofSalvation, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013
  16. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

17. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By what standard?

Very good. Now if He is the Standard, then anything He does measures up to Himself.

Now you have to stop there, because there is nothing else but Himself. But you don't stop there. You go on to judge Him by another standard. That demands something other than God. It just does, like 2 + 2 = 4. You can argue against it all you want, but you must stop with God.

There is none greater by which to judge His actions as either fiendish or noble. Only those things lesser than He is can be thus judged.

Nobility is that which is godly, and ignobility is that which is ungodly. Who will say that anything God does is ungodly, whether or not it appears fiendish to a carnal mind?

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a perfect illustration of that which I am saying.

You concede God has a right or power to do something, while at the same time you assert a separate standard by which to judge the thing that He does.