1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does it mean to you to be KJVO?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by MRCoon, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    M'am, I once asked Mr. Oakley to defend his KJVO myth by Scripture, and called him down for posting some false Terry Watkins trash. He showed his mental stability by going ballistic & removing his whole forum he had in Ezboard. I believe a coupla other members here had "spoken" with him before.

No, Mr. Oakley didn't twist Scripture...he ignored it entirely. He reminded me of that "pastor" Anderson who was here & flatly stated he worshipped the KJV.

"Mess with false doctrines & they'll mess with your mind."

2. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe...but long as some Baptists & other Christians are pushing a false doctrine,(the KJVO myth) my DUTY takes some of my time.

3. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mr. Correa:So then We should listen to Jesus and King Jesus has Ordained the KJB and Not any other in English!

SCRIPTURE, PLEASE?

No SCRIPTURE = no TRUTH.

4. kubel

kubel New Member

What does KJVO mean to me:

KJVO doesn't mean to just use the KJV. I use the KJV, and I might add, it is the only translation I use for studying and at church. But that doesn't mean I put faith into the KJVO belief. As robycop3 said, you can use a KJV (even exclusively) without falling into Onlyism.

Here's my KJVO history. As early as I can remember, I was going to church. My brother and I were picked up on a bus ministry out of our local Baptist church. From a very young age, I was taught out of the KJV (excellent, I love the KJV) and taught that it was the only legitimate, inerrant Bible.

As I grew up, I didn't second guess this. In fact, I argued it. Anyone who read out of a MVs were deceived and were reading satans corrupt translations. Jesus ordained the KJV, no one else. It was perfect, and had to be perfect, because if it wasn't- we would have no perfect final authority with which to base our beliefs on!

I said this in another post, and I'll say it again:

Romans 10:17 - So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

In a KJVOs mind, faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the KJV only. I believed this, and I'm positive others believe this as well. Without the KJV, it's as if there would be no faith.

I came to a point in my life (while I was a strong KJVO believer) where I refused to accept any doctrine that was not in the Bible. I re-examined all that I believed in. I came across these boards and saw a few KJVO debates. Just like robycop3 said, I could not find scriptural support to back one-version-onlyism.

No amount of proof would have convinced me that KJVO was a lie. There are many KJVOs here that will agree with this. In fact, I wouldn't even have considered any evidence to prove KJVO wrong.

Finally, it all came down to a simple question, "is it scriptural?" When the answer was "no", I dropped it from my faith, but I wasn't ready to just give it up entirely. When I dropped it from my faith, I was able to consider the proof that it was a myth. I hope that makes sense. It does for me, but it's hard to put into words. My faith was blocking me from considering the possibilty that it was false.

KJVOs won't reject KJVO unless they demand that all their faith/beliefs be backed by scripture. Paul wrote to Timothy "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness". Then they must realize that one-version-onlyism is not supported by scripture. If they do this, they drop KJVO from their faith. Then they can begin to consider the facts.

Until they come to a point where they agree that they should not put their faith in scriptureless doctrine, they will not accept any facts- no matter how obvious and definate they may be- because it is part of their faith.

I read and study at home and use my KJV at church. I don't own any modern versions, except for those that I have on my computer. I can still hang on to my KJV without hanging onto the KJVO myth.

KJVO is a doctrine (something that is taught) that has no scripture to support it. No scripture doesn't necessarily mean no truth. It just means that if something is not found in the word of God, we shouldn't take it by faith. If something is not in Gods word, we should take it by facts, not faith.

I think it's important that both sides remember the fruit of the spirit when discussing this issue. It is a heated one that often stirs up emotions, and those emotions can not only hurt others, but it can also hurt your own stand.

Galations 5:22 & 23
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

God bless you all.

5. Slambo

Slambo New Member

Well,has your "DUTY" eradicated KJVO yet?

6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, and it won't, same as another Christian duty, to evangelize wherever/whenever isn't gonna lead the world to Christ. However, if we steer people to CHRIST, one person at a time, or away from false doctrines, one person at a time, we will be doing our duty.

Unless you've changed since last I last "spoke" to you, we have an example of a believer of a false doctrine to advise.

7. Slambo

Slambo New Member

Can you prove that I am???

8. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

That is a smokescreen.

One could just as easily say 'Please show us the SCRIPTURE where Jesus ordains the MV's or admit you're just blabbering.'

The fighting over the versions does not do anything to show the love of Christ to a lost and dying world. Instead of going back and forth with, 'you're wrong, I'm right - no, you're wrong, I'm right,' get out there and witness to the lost.

Do something productive for the Lord instead of trying to tear down another's belief.

9. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

Diggin,

If a mormon repeated your final sentence, what would be your response?

10. standingfirminChrist

Desiderio,

We are not talking Mormon here. We are talking christians that are fighting back and forth.

My final response? I would tell them about Jesus!

11. Diggin in da Word

Good answer sfiC!

I wholeheartedly agree.

I might also add that we should study up on sects such as Mormon and JW, so we know key errors in their doctrine when they knock on our doors.

12. kubel

kubel New Member

The difference here is that robycop3 is not suggesting that God established one-version-onlyism for any particular MV.

13. Diggin in da Word

Smokescreen Kubel, smokescreen.

If KJV camp is demanded to show scripture that Jesus ordained the KJV, then that one should be able to produce scripture to show any other version is ordained.

The only reason those in the MV know there is no such scripture to say a version name. It is nothing but a smokescreen.

14. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

AMEN Diggin!

15. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Is a mormon a Baptist? If not, please throw it out of this forum.

16. David J

David J New Member

KJVOist claim that God did something special that only applies to the KJV. KJVOism is taught as a doctrine and the gospel truth therefore KJVOist must prove KJVOism by the KJV. Since the KJV is silent on one version O'ism there must be another authority that is equal to Scriptural support for KJVOism. What is your authority that is equal to Scriptural support for KJVOism?

Don't spin and dodge my question. Since KJVOist are making claims that God did "this and that"concerning the KJV and the bible is silent on KJVOism you are required to list your source for this teaching.

KJVOist should be honest and admit that KJVOism is a man made myth that has zero Scriptural support and admit they reject Sola Scriptura.

It's all about being honest people. I've meet some Mormons and JW's that would have a field day with KJVOist because KJVOist refuse to answer hard questions. How can KJVOist refute another man's myth with a myth that has ZERO Scriptural support? How can a KJVO refute Mormonism's faith based claims with KJVO faith based claims in which neither can prove their “words” using only the Scriptures?

Then again I don't expect any real answers from KJVOist anyway. I post to many forums trying to get honest KJVOist (like myself when I was KJVO) to see the spin and deceptions posted by many internet KJVOist. An honest person will not pardon a lie in order to protect a belief.

Too many KJVOist sacrifice truth for KJVOism. They allow KJVOism to cover a multitude of sins and deceptions as long as the offender is KJVO. Sorry all but that is the truth. The truth should not be edited or deleted. I would ask the mods to prove me wrong before snipping this post.

Thanks all,

17. kubel

kubel New Member

Diggin,

With respect,

You are saying that since I request scriptural support for KJVOism (a doctrine), that I must find scriptural support for non-KJVOism (which is essentially, a lack of that doctrine). Your request is asking for negative proof, and on top of that, you are placing the burden of proof onto the challenger of KJVO, not the proposer- it's a logical fallacy.

There is no scriptural support that says God established any one transation of the Bible. That is the issue.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I hear speaking when it comes to the Biblically silent KJVO doctrine.

Take things where the Bible speaks with faith. Take things that the Bible is silent on with facts. KJVO is taking things that the Bible is silent on with faith, and ignoring the facts that plainly prove it wrong.

I know you directed that question at robycop3, so I'll shut up now. I just had to jump in [​IMG] .

18. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your previous posts spoke volumes.

19. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is so sad to see so many Baptists drifting into the liberal lane....we need more people with strong convictions - Is the candlestick still lit in your church? Ask yourself this....as I pray for you.

20. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Diggin:If KJV camp is demanded to show scripture that Jesus ordained the KJV, then that one should be able to produce scripture to show any other version is ordained.

I have never said any one version is ordained, & I don't need any Scripure to say that. Anyone who says any given version is ordained must prove it by Scripture.

The only reason those in the MV know there is no such scripture to say a version name. It is nothing but a smokescreen.

No, the smokescreen is the KJVO myth. Piece by piece, various KJVO authors wrote the salient points of the KJVO myth, mostly from the 1930 book our Authorized Bible Vindicated by SEVENTH DAY ADVENTIST peacher/preacher/official Dr. Ben Wilkinson. Then they started dissing every other English Bible version...in short, they CREATED A DOCTRINE. It is incumbent upon those who create/advocate a doctrine to PROVE IT IS TRUE and not just hawk it. And a legitimate and basic demand for evidence for KJVO or any other doctrine about Scripture is that it be SUPPORTED by Scripture.

There is NO Scripture supporting KJVO whatsoever, so it remains false, and a myth. And the gent who proclaimed King Jesus ordained the KJV cannot even begin to prove it. He was just running his "mouth".

I need no Scripture to reject the KJVO myth; the advocates of the myth need Scripture to SUSTAIN it, and there is NONE. Therefore I reject KJVO as a false doctrine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.