1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does James mean by " the word"?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by franklinmonroe, Nov 13, 2018.

1. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

In the Book of James in Chapter One he refers to "the word" several times (as in "be ye doers of the word", etc.). Since the NT was not yet written (James may have been the very first epistle) or compiled, "the word" cannot refer to the modern Bible as we know it.

By "the word" does he mean the Old Testament or the Law? Or, does he mean the gospel? Does he specifically mean the teachings of Christ and/or of the Apostles? Please substantiate your answer.

Thank you!

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think James was at the very least written after Matthew's gospel. James seems to parallel Matthew. (For an example: Matthew 5:33-37 and James 5:12.) So I am inclined to believe James refers to the written word.

3. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe James is speaking here of the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ, both His own teaching and the teaching passed on to His apostles (the apostles' doctrine - Acts 2:42).

Matthew 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
    25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
    26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
    27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
    (KJV)

I believe the "sayings" of Christ here and the "word" in James' epistle would be recognized by his readers, at that time, as being the same. For you and me today, it certainly applies to the written Word of God.

4. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

You would be in a minority position. Most conservative scholars would put James about 45AD and Matthew around 50AD.
    Indeed. That does not mean that James borrowed from Matthew. Instead, they could have had a common source.

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree he is referring to a common oral tradition among the early Christain community. Few people could actually read.