1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does the BIBLE say is Worldly/Sinful

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We've got a thread on WHACKY rules that men have sucked out of their thumbs, legalism run amok.

What does the BIBLE (not man's rules) say is "wordly" or "sinful". We have a Bible for some black-and-white standards to which we should all ascribe.

No other gods
    No images
    No use of God's name in vain
    Honor the Lord's Day
    Honor parents
    No murder
    No adultery
    No stealing
    No lying
    No covetous spirit

Others?

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ohh.. my life verse... (joke)

Don't covet another man's ox.

Yep, there's some strange ones in the Bible too.

3. FRED WILSON

FRED WILSON New Member

BROTHER BOB,
    Everything that is not of God is sin.Man believes we can get to heaven by our good works,helping the poor,giving to the church.
    But the Bible says,Romans 6;23-For the wages of sin is death;but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 3;23-For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God.

God Bless.

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Dr. Bob:

If that's all we need to know; why are there 1377 pages in my Bible? :confused:

[​IMG]
    Sue

5. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

Black and white NT prescriptions:

Great Command (Love God and others)

Great Commission

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, my list was just the first TEN absolute black-and-white activities that are "worldly" or "sinful".

I'm looking for YOU ALL to supply the other 200 or so. Like Galatians 5:20-21 list of works of the flesh that are indisputable: (words taken from NASB/NIV since I want everyone to actually know what they mean)

immorality/sexual misconduct
    impurity
    sensuality/debauchery
    idolatry
    sorcery/witchcraft/drug dealing
    enmities/hatred
    strife/discord
    jealousy
    outbursts of anger/fits of rage
    disputes/selfish ambitions
    dissensions
    factions
    envying
    drunkenness
    carousing/orgies

7. Preacher Nathan Knight

Taking away or adding words to God's word. Rev. 22:18-19.

8. Molly

Molly New Member

This may repeat some of Dr. Bob's...but I was looking over a recent Bible study I did and found these listed from Eph.

speaking falsehood
    anger that is sinful
    stealing
    unwholesome words
    bitterness
    wrath
    anger
    clamor
    slander
    malice
    unfruitful deeds
    silly talk
    foolishness
    filthiness
    drunkenness
    anxiousness
    abusive speech

9. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Hardheart and unforgiveness.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

HankD

11. WonderingOne

WonderingOne New Member

The "seven deadly sins" from Proverbs 6:

Pride
    Greed
    Lust
    Anger
    Gluttony
    Envy
    Sloth

So we are not to be puffed up, and think ourselves better than others. We are to share. We are not to look upon others with lust. We are not to let anger control our attitude. We are not to be envious of someone else's appearance, personality, or other personal attributes. (This would be in addition to coveting their material goods). We are not to be lazy.

There are also admonitions here about sowing discord...which I personally believe is a real biggie.

But if you think about, if we have humble, loving,and obedient spirit, we will not be tempted by these things.

12. Istherenotacause

Istherenotacause New Member

Wouldn't all the subsequent causes for these be included? Of course these wouldn't be sins, but temptations. I've found it good thinking, (I know that is another thread), to consider in my mind, "Am I tempted to do this?". IF so, I do my best to avoid going ahead with it altogether.

The Ten Commandments are the general guidelines to avoid all sin. We receive them by faith, and faith alone.Then the right quote is "Whatsoever is not of "faith" is sin".

The two most profound sins would be the only two: Those agianst the Lord, and those against our brother, but then those against our brother are also against God, and vice versa. Then we could surmize there to be only one sin.

To make a list of sins usually leads into a discussion ruled by opinion, but our opinion is never more authoritive to the Lord's opinion. When it's offensive to your brother, then all effort should endeavor to avoid that offence, that is God's opinion .

But then we could catagorize sin in this manner; lust of the eyes, lust of the flesh, and the pride of life. Also those sins would be either sins of omission or comission, failure to act, or the act itself, but then to continue the cirlce, all sins of omisssion become sins of comission due to the act of omitting the act that should have been committed! :confused: ;) [​IMG] :( [​IMG]

I used to smoke, but not long after I got saved , I got under conviction for smoking, not because the preacher had said so, but way before he ever preached on it to my knowledge, we(my wife and I) would do our best to make sure we got that last "puff" in before we got to the church, and hid our smokes under the seat, so as to keep them form everyone else at church. The only problem was that God knew they were there. It didn't take some profound revelation to discover that smoking was offensive to my brother, and to God. I firmly believe when some one defends their smoking, it is because it is just another of their "gods" thay like to keep, but then it would become a sin against God as well, having another god. (Poor Spurgeon, if he only knew) :( I think many tend to immortalise Spurgeon, I do think he was one of the most eloquent, but not the authority, neither do I consider myself the authority , except under the Authority and in my own household.

Brother Ricky

13. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

Jesus soundly condemned the use of clerical titles; specifically Rabbi, Master, and Father.

I've not yet figured how Baptists justify the use of "Dr." which is a step higher than "Master." Perhaps "Dr. Bob" could clarify this for us?

Mark Osgatharp

14. kung_foo_christian

kung_foo_christian New Member

I wouldnt say these are black and white.
    Take "No images" for example.
    Are we not to create likenesses of creatures?
    In Ex 25 v 18 the Lord told Moses to make Golden Cherubims... was that a sin?

Honour the Lords day... What does that mean?
    Go to church in the morning, the rest of the day is yours?
    Fast all day?
    Do no work?
    And which day? Saturday? Sunday?

Where is the black and white, hard and fast rule here?

-KFC

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is your problem, brother? I use titles all the time and am wondering where Jesus condemned someone calling a "rabbi" by that title? Or a Pharisee (elite group of rabbis)? Etc.

I call the minister of the church "Pastor" or "Reverend" (yes, I know, Holy and reverend are both names of the Lord, but did He say I couldn't use it as a title?)

So is using my title (I am a college prof and 33+ year Baptist pastor) as "Pastor Bob" or "Rev. Robert" or "Dr. Bob" or, as my wife opts, "The Seldom Right Reverend . . " now going to be added to the list of "sins"?

That is the subject of the topic. If you have a problem with my name or title, I'd encourage you to get used to it. I post a lot and it will appear automatically every time.

Sorry to vent off topic, but just wonder where this came from???

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 23:8-10 -- But do not be called Rabbi; for One is your Teacher, and you are all brothers. Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. Do not be called leaders; for One is your Leader, that is, Christ.

17. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I know when I am sick and I call for an appointment I ask for DR. _______. He earned that title. The receptionist would think I was crazy if I asked for an appointment with 'Joe'.

[​IMG]
    Sue

18. Baptist Bible Believer

I believe you earn the teacher's golden apple there brother.

"And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind."

and part "a" of the verse you quoted. Not that it speaks of losing one's salvation - rather it states that it is the doubt that should indicate something is wrong with our act.

19. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

What is your problem, brother? I use titles all the time and am wondering where Jesus condemned someone calling a "rabbi" by that title? Or a Pharisee (elite group of rabbis)? Etc.

I call the minister of the church "Pastor" or "Reverend" (yes, I know, Holy and reverend are both names of the Lord, but did He say I couldn't use it as a title?)

So is using my title (I am a college prof and 33+ year Baptist pastor) as "Pastor Bob" or "Rev. Robert" or "Dr. Bob" or, as my wife opts, "The Seldom Right Reverend . . " now going to be added to the list of "sins"?

That is the subject of the topic. If you have a problem with my name or title, I'd encourage you to get used to it. I post a lot and it will appear automatically every time.

Sorry to vent off topic, but just wonder where this came from???
    </font>[/QUOTE]Bob,

Sorry to take so long to answer you, but I was out of town for a few days. You asked us to give additions to the 10 commandments of things the Bible says are wrong. Jesus said it is wrong to call men Rabbi, Father, or Master. You know the passage.

I hardly think Jesus would forbid the use of "Master" and yet condone the use of "Doctor" which is a step above a "Master." Since you use the title of "Dr." it seems to me you should be able to give a reasonable explanation as to why it does not violate Jesus' commandment not to use Rabbi, Father, or Master.

Mark Osgatharp

20. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist