1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does this mean? 1.John 4:2

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not_hard_to_findPlease forgive the off topic question, but your statement confuses me. What about Acts 2:17 where we're told daughters will prophesy?

Amy G:
    Peter was quoting Joel 2:28 and saying that it had come true that day (Pentacost). That doesn't mean tho that it's still true today.

GE:
    Yes, in fact, were it still true today, Peter would have been lying.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Just how often should we invalidate the Word of God saying "it is no longer true" or "no longer applicable"??

Is there no end?

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Nothing prohibits God from giving visions today and nothing stopped him in OT or NT times.

Having absolute reference to all humans on the planet would tell you if anyone today is having Visions - my guess is that they are...

God's Word is True.

There is really no need to keep imagining that "it no longer applies"

having said that - I have seen very little from the Charismatic movement that would suggest they have the real deal.

4. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Hmmm...
    I just listened to a sermon about women and headcovering and all this stuff. The pastor said women must not prophecy in church and also quoted the verses which say this. I didn't know this until now. If women are not allowed to prophecy in church does this mean that if a woman prophecies then what she says is not from God but it has to be from a deceiving spirit and this actually means that this woman is deceived? :eek::eek::eek:
    Then a lot of women are deceived! A woman in my house meeting also said that she has prophecied. Does this mean that she can be considered as deceived and this means that I should not pay any attention to what she says at all because if you're being deceived one time then you can be deceived again and cannot be considered "trustworthy" anymore?

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

This is one of the problems of believing the sign gifts are still in effect. Anyone can come along and say God told me this or God told me that. The sign gifts have ceased therefore all the answers are right there in the COMPLETED Bible. Everything that God wants us to know has already been written. Trust only scripture for prophecy. I think these charasmatic meetings are confusing you. :tear:

6. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

Notice, xdx, that it is the Spirit of God that speaks. He says that every spirit (not flesh, not the natural man) that confesses. Be sure to keep the natural man, the flesh, the sinful aspect of man separate from the spirit that was imparted to you when you received Christ as Savior.

Anyone, including Hinn, can confess from the flesh anything you want to hear. This spiritual confession is not a mechanical or intellectual confession. It is the very spirit of man, the source of which is God, communicating with God Himself. Glory!:applause:

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Peter said it had become true on that day he was speaking on. Therefore 'it is no longer true. That day - pentecost - it was the end of it; or that day - the Apostolic era - at broadest, was the end of it. Mrs White does NOT fulfill that prophecy, neither does the Seventh Day Adventist Church -- which is the reason you ask your asserting questions.

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not only I, but all Christiandom at this point in history, are informed well enough to see right through you.

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You have very deep words here ...

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But then.... there was the "actual Bible" on this subject -- GE not withstanding.

1 Corinthians 14
    1 Pursue love, yet [b]desire earnestly[/b] spiritual gifts, [b
    ]but especially that you may prophesy.[/b]

A few key facts that easily escape most Christians.

#1. We are to actively pray for spiritual gifts - Even as we are to “pursue Love”. (Deut 6:5, Lev 19:18)
    #2. Prophecy is seen as the miracle gift most be desired and prayed for –
    (And notice how the Bible defines Prophets and how God works with them –

But for some Christian groups this text is “deleted” for women – women told not to read it and apply this NT text to themselves.

For other Christian group 1Cor 14:1 is “deleted for BOTH men and women” – BOTH are told not to read this NT text as applicable to themselves.

For yet still others – they practice a kind of revisionist history imagining that the promise of Joel 2 died in Acts 2 when it was fulfilled so “surely” this text in 1Cor 14 must not have applied to a single soul on earth – being written years AFTER Acts 2!!

It is all a mystery how the traditions of men are constantly used to invalidate the Word of God – still to this very day!

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1Cor 14
    23 Therefore if the whole church assembles together and all speak in tongues, and ungifted men or unbelievers enter,
    will they not say that you are mad?
    24 But [b]if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an ungifted man enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all;[/b]
    25 the
    secrets of his heart are disclosed; and so he will fall on his face and worship God, declaring that God is certainly among you.
    26 What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble,
    each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.

I can almost hear someone say "yes EACH one had a Revelation because WOMEN were not ALLOWED to go to church in those days!"

31 For you can all prophesy one by one[/b], so that all may learn and all may be exhorted;
    32 and the [b]spirits of prophets are subject to prophets
    ;
    33 for God is not a God of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.

“you can ALL prophesy” not “your MEN can all prophesy” and not “only men are allowed to read scripture so all you who read this can prophesy”. Rather it is “you can ALL prophesy”.

Prophets that have been given previous messages – are to take their turn relating what has already been spoken by God – and they are also “subject to the prophets” in that they must be tested “Sola scriptura” as was Paul in Acts 17:11.

I think what Paul really really meant to say was "hey STOP prophesying - because I am the one who is writing scripture.. It is WAYYYY tooo confusing for you to be exercising the spiritual gift of prophecy like me since I AM the one who is writing scripture - not you!".

Sometimes he just does not say it as clearly as he should.

In Christ,

Bob

#31 BobRyan, Dec 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2006
  12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1Cor 14
    39 Therefore, my brethren,
    desire earnestly to prophesy[/b], and do not forbid to speak in tongues.
    40 But all things must be done properly and in an orderly manner

How amazing that this “desire earnestly to prophesy” is one of the very commands that Christians today want to deny.

----

Perhaps they are thinking that this is another good example of Paul not saying what he really meant. He meant to say "forbid the WOMEN from prophesying and tell all new converts not to desire it at all since we are done with that you guys.."

13. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Read Pauls writings, all of them, and watch the involvement in sign gifts disappear. In some of the last of his writings he tells Timothy (ITim 5:23) to "take a little wine for your stomach, and thy other infimities". Why did he say that if the gift of healings were still in force?

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    Good thinking!
    Thanks!

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:
    Say what you want to say, BobRyan! Only then could readers rightly judge your intentions!