1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does this mean

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Kay, May 1, 2008.

1. Kay

Kay New Member

1 Corinthians 6 11 But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within the church? 13 But those who are outside, God judges. REMOVE THE WICKED MAN FROM AMONG YOURSELVES.

Does this mean we can not judge false teaching that only God can?

2. AAA

AAA New Member

I believe this is saying that the church only has a right to shun the so-called brother that is within the church, but does not have the right to discipline the ungodly OUTSIDE the church.

Think of it this way: A parent that love thier child will discipline the child that is within thier own household, but this same parent will not discipline a niegbors child for the same offence. The church will only discipline those that are within the household of faith...

The church should also judge (judging without discipline) false teachers and they should beware of false teachers that are outside the household of faith, but GOD is the one who will bring discipline to those who are outside the faith.

#2 AAA, May 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2008
  3. Kay

Kay New Member

So we can judge false teachings but not discipline

4. AAA

AAA New Member

Yes, I believe that we are to judge the false teachers with a right hearted judgment, but we can not discipline those that are not in the household of faith.

5. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Not a big deal, but to set the record straight, the verse you mentioned is in I Cor. 5, not chapter 6.

In this verse, Paul is not attempting to deal with what to do with false teachers. He does that elsewhere and in numerous places:

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. 18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

Titus 3: 9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain. 10 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject; 11 Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.

II Tim. 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. 6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, 7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith

As did John:

I John 2:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. 10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: 11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.