1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What establishes your hermeneutics?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Isaiah40:28, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

well...
    I did use the Bible. :)

what gets me is how some try to tell us how we came about to believe the Bible. They think they know Calvinism better then a Calvinist and Calvinist are fools that have come under a spell and well....those poor foolish Calvinist...they just don't know what they believe...so it is their job to TELL them. All Calvinist were tricked by other Calvinist...so they say....and they need to wake them up and tell them the truth, because they are so far into this, they no longer know the truth.

The only think they do wrong.....

They tell us about it...and it becomes clear they do not understand.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So my understanding (and the majority of believers) of Scirpture is purely "human understanding"?

You guys really need to get over yourselves! The prides is so thick you can cut it with a knife!

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Curious...were you invloved in drama in school? Your posts are full of it...

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and another post from the BB peanut gallery...

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

We need to learn to move from Text to Theology back to Text and Then Theology and Application, resulting in Doxology.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It was said somewhere in all these threads that Calvinism is once again growing among the churches (or something to that effect). Does anyone have an idea why that is?

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Ooh, I've been dissed by webdog. That's another two years of therapy to undo the emotional damage.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe the need to proselytize?

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=42563

Another reason, possibly they are the more vocal? Insecurity? Could be a number of reasons...

#28 webdog, Oct 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2007
  9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I too have heard it from Macarthur and Piper; I suspect more and more people are returning to pure expository preaching and where it is leading.

10. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Would the Holy Spirit be divided?

11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I don't know. I think free-willism grew because that's what the colleges taught, and they simply churned out a bunch of free-willer pastors who are too lazy to do anything more than regurgitate what they were taught. Maybe the teachers are becoming more Calvinist, and they're churning out Calvinist pastors now? It's a shame if it works that way, but that's just a guess.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Absolutely not...which is the point behind the influence thread I started that Isaiah was railing against. If the Holy Spirit is our "only" influence, we would all believe the same! There IS and ARE outside influences and to why one becomes indoctrinated into calvinism...regardless of what is stated otherwise...and you just helped me prove that point.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wow...now you are calling out God's servants as being "lazy". I'm glad you hold this kind of authority... :BangHead:

Pride is a very common trait amongst calvinists...and it can be seen in this thread full force.

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

By the same token, we are influenced by the non-cal, free will side as well. How does one avoid being influenced? You have been influenced as well by someone.

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Isaiah, I apologize for your thread getting hyjacked.
    My hermenuetics (sp?) were pretty well accepted until I started thinking like a Calvinist. I seem to have lost some respect.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not entirely true. It would be more of returning to one's roots, thatof God being true and all men liars. Scripture clearly teaches both the soveriegnty of God and free will of man.
    One is born again as a non cal. One is indoctrinated into calvinism AFTER being born again.

17. reformedbeliever

No... actually you just proved my point. You think it was the Holy Spirit who influenced you and your doctrine.... and it was other outside influences who influenced us poor Calvinists.

I was not born again until I had heard (from the Holy Spirit) that my being born again was not dependent upon an exercise of my will. It was His sovereign choice of me.... and His sovereign grace that caused me to be born again. I was born again by the Holy Spirit of God........ and no free will doctrine ever caused me to be born again. Using your logic.... how is that?

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You didn't lose respect, but you did lose some hermeunetic accuracy :D

19. reformedbeliever

What a joke! I was not born again a non cal. I was not born again until the Holy Spirit taught me different than the free willism I was taught my whole life. I'm living proof that proves you wrong web.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Bible clearly teaches man's responsibiltiy...man's ability to choose...and God's sovereignty. I've believed that from the moment I've been born again to the present. That's Bible, my friend. I ALMOST was a full fledged calvinist...I know.