1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Exactly Is The ....

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by wpe3bql, Aug 12, 2015.

1. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

.... "Fire" by which a Christian's works will be tested at the Judgment Seat of Christ?

I started a thread that asked some questions about some of the specifics regarding the classifications of the quality of works that a Christian can perform for Christ while in this life.

A corollary to that subject is this:

I Corinthians 3:13-15 states that each of these works will be tested by fire, but as best I can determine, God's Word doesn't specifically state in that passage what this fire by which they'll be tested is.

I've read some speculations from various sources as to what exactly this fire might be, but IMHO none of them seem to be able to conclusively prove from the Bible what exactly this fire actually is, but none of the sources I've read so far has definitely convinced me that any of their speculations regarding what this fire really is.

What do you think this fire is?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's of course not a literal fire. It the fire of God's judgment of our works. It's not going to be a judgment of us because we are saved. It's a testing of our works.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After conversion, yet still living in our physical world, as creations created for good words, we build on the foundation of Christ. What can be built on the foundation of Christ that is eternal, i.e. cannot be destroyed by fire? Serving Christ and helping in His ministry as ambassadors of Christ. Beseeching others to be reconciled to Christ by our witness, whether by our words and or by our walk.

Other stuff we have done, stuff that did not contribute to the growth or edification of the body, will be revealed as straw or hay that gets burned up. Such works might look good to us, but when measured with God's value system is worthless.

Scripture tells us of folks who enter heaven abundantly, which I believe means with many rewards, and are greeted by our Lord thus: Welcome home, faithful servant.

#3 Van, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
  4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My college prof for the class on Corinthians taught that it refers to the eyes of Christ as seen in his glorified body, as in Rev. 1:14--"and his eyes were as a flame of fire." Made sense to me.

5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is usually an O.T. reference for statements like this.
    'The crucible for silver, the furnace for gold, but the LORD tests the hearts' (Prov. 17:3).
    '.....That the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honour and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ' (1 Peter 1:7).

The purity of gold was tested in ancient times by putting it in a furnace, where any impurities would be revealed and removed. In the same way our works will be tested by Christ, and the dross burned up.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To my understanding, it will be the time when the Lord tries out all of the good works/deeds/things we claimed to have done for Him after salvation, and he will see the real intent of our hearts each time...

Did I do that in order to love and please God, or due to me wanting to be seen doing it, otr by just :going thru the expected motions?"