1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What exactly was the KJV translated from?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by uhdum, Mar 9, 2004.

1. uhdum

uhdum New Member

I am sure the answer is in various threads, but one more thread specifically answering this question will not hurt. What exactly was the basis for the translation of the King James Version? I have been reading a little in Herring and Stagg's book "How to Understand the Bible" and it mentions that the Bishop's Bible was one of the primary sources for translation, as well as relatively late Greek texts, some Latin texts, and other translations from the "Tyndale tradition."

Could someone help me out... am I way off?

God bless!

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    85% of the AV was simple revision of other existing English translations. That was, of course, the purpose of the AV - not to "reinvent the wheel".

About 5-7 Greek documents that had been collated by Erasmus and others over the previous generation were used. The Masoretic Hebrew text was the basis for Old Testament translation.

These were all very learned scholars, so we can assume reading in church fathers, checking against the Latin Vulgate, etc was also a part.

They also were Anglican priests and had very strict guidelines from King James as to what words could be accurately translated while others had to use obtuse "church" terms that would not be offensive to Anglican or others.

3. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Dr. Bob said:
    Be so kind as to elaborate on that!

4. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

I doubt it. His foolish Ruckmanesque position regarding "church" and "baptize" have already been refuted in another thread. :D