1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What groups are represented here?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Mark Fesco, Jul 29, 2006.

1. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Presbyterian (PCUSA). Fear me. :smilewinkgrin:

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Is D. James Kennedy PCUSA?

3. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

Well, the short version is...

Methodism was founded in the mid-1700s by John Wesley, an Anglican priest who underwent evangelical conversion while attending a meeting of Moravian Brethren. He started a parachurch movement of Methodist societies, so named because of their distinctive methods for seeking after holiness, which Wesley called "Christian perfection." Pietists, they were originally known for their stand against slavery and alcohol, and their practice of holding small-group meetings weekly to confess their sins and admonish one another. Because of their respect for Wesley, his societies in Britain waited until after his death to separate from the Church of England, but the brethren in America were forced to do so as early as 1784 because of the Revolution and its aftermath. Methodists, along with the Presbyterians, Congregationalists, and Baptists, were the churches that saw the greatest growth during the (First) Great Awakening. The foremost preacher of the Awakening, George Whitefield, was a Methodist of Calvinist beliefs. Methodist services are based on Wesley's abridgment of the Anglican liturgy, which was itself a simplification and Protestantizing of the Catholic Mass in English. Their 25 Articles of Religion include Wesley's abridgment of the Church of England's 39 Articles, with all the Calvinistic elements removed. Methodists were among the first to let women take a very active role, and began ordaining women in the 20th century. Today, Methodism runs the gamut from strict fundamentalist churches to churches with lesbian pastors and New Age workshops, and from congregations holding to Wesley's original programs and views to those indistinguishable from any other kinds of Protestant. Methodists practice infant baptism, usually regard the Lord's Supper as symbolic, and typically use grape juice instead of wine for Communion.

"Continental Baptist" is a term some Baptists use when including the Anabaptists in a makeshift apostolic succession trying to prove that there have been true Baptists in every century back to the first. "Continental" highlights their location on the European mainland; they were not the English Baptists, who were the forerunners of the Baptist movement in America. The first English Baptists were Separatists living in Holland who came under Mennonite influence, then returned to London about 1611.

The Anabaptists were so named because they re-baptized any converts who had undergone infant baptism by Catholics or Protestants. They initially were students of the Swiss reformer Zwingli, but rebelled against him in 1525 when he didn't go far enough in his reforms and recanted some of his earlier, more radical ideas. These Swiss Brethren, and the related groups that sprang up in Austria and southern Germany, disavowed infant baptism, swearing legal oaths, all warfare and violence, and advocated separation of church and state. They retained Zwingli's radically rationalistic and naturalistic views of sacraments, considering them only material symbols of spiritual reality, rejecting the ancient view that they are material means of communicating God's grace spiritually. They also rejected all non-Anabaptist church authority, relying on the Bible alone.

An apparently unrelated group in origin formed in the Netherlands and northern Germany, and affiliated with the Swiss Brethren later. One of their converts was a Catholic priest named Menno Simons who joined them in 1536, as I recall. To distinguish his peaceful sect with other German-speaking Anabaptists who advocated violent theocratic revolution, a sympathetic noblewoman dubbed them Mennists, which came into English as "Mennonites." They essentially agreed with all the doctrines and practices of the Swiss Brethren, but also practiced footwashing as part of the Communion service, as well as excommunication and strict shunning of unrepentant members who fell into sin. It was attempts to foist these Dutch distinctives on the Swiss a century later that led to the Amish schism. Mennonites are fairly strict congregationalists in terms of church government. Conservatives dress plainly and eschew radio, TV, movies, and instrumental music, and stand strongly against divorce and remarriage; they accept as ordinances of the NT Church believers baptism (usually by pouring), the Lord's Supper (typically using leavened bread and grape juice), footwashing, the holy kiss, the Christian woman's veil, the three-fold ministry of bishops, ministers, and deacons, and anointing the sick with oil. The most liberal Mennonites cannot be told apart from other Protestants except for possibly a strong pacifist commitment, and may even ordain gays and lesbians as pastors. Most Mennonites in the world live in Africa, Asia, and Latin America, as a result of missionary activity.

The Orthodox Church is one of five that can document a claim to unbroken succession back to the apostles. (The others are the Church of the East, or Nestorians; the Oriental Orthodox, including Copts, Jacobites, and Armenians; the Catholics; and Anglicans.) They practice infant baptism, baptize by trine immersion, and believe as the early Church did in baptismal regeneration and the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. They perform chrismation (laying on of hands with anointing oil) as part of the baptismal ceremony, to receive the Holy Spirit; conduct Communion with leavened bread (because Christ is risen) and wine mixed with water; may practice the holy kiss and the veiling of women; ordain both celibate and married men to the diaconate and presbytery, but elevate only celibates to the rank of bishop. The Orthodox celebrate a weekly liturgy that dates back largely unchanged to the fourth century, based on a longer, earlier liturgy attributed to James at Jerusalem. The Orthodox churches at Alexandria, Jerusalem, and Antioch were founded by the apostles. Orthodox do not believe in papal supremacy, indulgences, the Immaculate Conception of Mary, or purgatory, and do not require assent to belief in the ever-virginity of Mary or her bodily assumption. Traditionally, Orthodox churches do not use instrumental music or pews or contain statues; parishioners stand for most of the worship and usually pray with eyes open. Nearly all of an Orthodox service consists of sung and chanted Scripture readings and prayers, in the language of the people in most places. Historically, all of North Africa, the Middle East, Asia Minor, Greece, and most of the Balkans were Orthodox, before Islamic armies swept into those areas. The Orthodox are known for their use of icons as testimony to the Incarnation of Christ, and for frequent fasting, including most Wednesdays and Fridays throughout the year (see The Didache).

4. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

I think he's PCA.

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Is it not true as well that the Orthodox Church believes it is the true church?

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And is it not true that ALL groups view their own doctrinal statements as the most correct? (After all who would want to belong to a group that said - "Well we have a bit more error in our beliefs than the Southern Baptists but we prefer to believe this way anyway")

7. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Possibly to a degree, but not to the degree that I have witnessed by the Orthodox Church, Roman Catholic, SB, COC, and a few others.

I have heard some good news lately concerning the SB in that in at least some churches they are not requiring baptism within their church as a prerequisite of fellowship, and are recognizing baptisms even from other denominations as the fulfillment of their requirements. (Hope I said that just right)

8. drfuss

drfuss New Member

HP writes:
    "I have heard some good news lately concerning the SB in that in at least some churches they are not requiring baptism within their church as a prerequisite of fellowship, and are recognizing baptisms even from other denominations as the fulfillment of their requirements. (Hope I said that just right)"

We joined our Southern Baptist church 13 years ago and there was no question about them accepting our baptism in another denomination.

9. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I have heard that by some others as well, but there have been other such churches that such has not been the case. I applaud the SB’s that have accepted this needed change. I hope in time all will see this practice accepted.

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is certainly true in the SDA church. As long as a person has undergone believer's baptism (no matter what denomination) they can join by profession of faith.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

We accept no one's baptism but our own. We feel to do so is to agree with the doctrine of whoever did the baptizing and in most cases we do not know all they believe and if it even comes close to what we believe as faith and order. So we insist on a baptism by our own ministers. I said no one's baptism but our own but that includes all churches of all Associations we correspond with of the same faith and order. We have taken in entire churches before without baptism but we organize them under our articles of faith and constitution. It is like a ordaination.

#31 Brother Bob, Jul 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2006
  12. Heavenly Pilgrim

I have to admit that the whole denominational scene has been problematic with me. I can see a need on one hand, due to the way reality has forced our hands, and a curse on the other. It is as though God allows it, seeing it necessary due to the stubborn hard hearts of men, as the best way possible to spread the gospel under the circumstances. We cannot even come to terms with questions regarding the nature of faith. How are we to work together for the spreading of the gospel? I happen to believe that God uses most of us in spite of all our quirks, not because of them.

Where would missions be today apart from the unified efforts of denominations? Still yet, many have been used to spread the gospel that have refused to be part of a denomination or mission group. I have no quarrel with anyone that finds a denomination that is honestly in agreement with Scripture as God has granted them light. I just have not found one that I can in good faith raise my right hand to, nor have I felt compelled by God to find such a one. I try and seek ways to be used of God regardless of what banner I presently worship under. I do not wish my plight on any other. It does make one a bit less comfortable with the ways things are here and inspires me to continue to seek that ‘other’ country as my only hope. It leaves one in this world feeling a bit unfulfilled and somewhat in the dark as to how to direct others seeking fellowship. It would at least ‘seem great’ at times to be able to say, “There is a Church that teaches and practices the truth!”

I ask myself the question often, “Is it I oh Lord? Show me Thy truth!!”

13. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

:smilewinkgrin:

I was saved in a Baptist church 13 years ago. I got a good grounding in the Word in Baptist circles for my first five years. For the past two years, I have taught third grade VBS at a Baptist church near a school I have been working at.

14. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

I have the same problem. I have found that if a Christian does not agree with any denomination's precepts 100%, and has good reason being well-grounded in the Word, it is hard to find a church that really wants that Christian for very long and/or is willing to let that Christian have good and full standing in the church.

15. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Guess it is time for me to chime in :thumbs:
    Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod:saint:

16. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Grew up Baptist. Now Presbyterian (PCA).

Yes, Dr. Kennedy is a member of the PCA - Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

Other well known pastors/teachers include RC Sproul and Steve Brown.

17. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

edited as redundant.

18. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. A Believer in Jesus (I'm not real excited about the term Christian since so many non-christian use it).

2. Southern Baptist.

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I notice that Dr. Kennedy is getting hammered by Eric on the "Debilitating disease of atheist darwinism" thread for his recent sermon on "The root of the Problem" showing the historic impact that atheist darwinist doctrine had on Hitler and what a key role it played in his published actions in indoctrinating his armies about "the master race".

Is this pretty common to slam Dr. Kennedy for exposing the damaging impact of atheist views?

20. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

After falling away from the RCC, following my own path (a disaster), following Buddhism (for a while) , then attending a Lifegate Baptist Church ( back to the loving arms of my Saviour) and finally back to where I started from.