1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Happened to 7th Day Baptists ?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Tim Jay, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Tim Jay

Tim Jay New Member

Are there 7th Day Baptists around any more ?

I know that there used to be some, in the USA, during the mid-1800's

I'm just curious, as to why there is so little information about them anymore, and if they are any still around.

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    About 15 years ago (BPC) I corresponded with them a bit. Their statements of their beliefs in my opinion are sound -- basically. But they - to me - are too lenient or indicisive. They would let you be one of them whether you believed predestination or free-will - things that if allowed in the same community must breed bad feelings and strife, for sure, if honestly taken seriously.

But they have nothing of the SDA oddities.

Also what I don't like about them, is their leaning towards charismatics. Beforehand as for me thanks, uncompromisable.

In South Africa they are active in the south eastern Cape. As far as I know they have no congregations farther inland.

If they maintained a firmer stand on doctrine, and would have been near enough, I would have liked to worship with them --- that is to say, if they would have accepted me of course with all my own oddities!

I think I some time ago found a website of the SDBs. Am going to try again.

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  4. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

There are a few congregations around still in southeastern Indiana.

5. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

We have a congregation just 2 blocks west of our church.

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    Palatka51,
    Will you please do me a personal favour? Will you please make a copy of this post of mine, and give it to the Congrgation you are referring to on my behalf? I shall be so grateful to you and to the Lord Jesus if you could.

With Christian love'
    Gerhard Ebersoehn

Here is my little statement to practical worship, if you want,

Sabbaths’ Feast of Christ Assemblies

To joy in the Fellowship of Christians persuaded by God of the sanctity of the Seventh Day Sabbath for to be the Lord Jesus’ Day of Worship-Rest.

The urgency of Sabbaths’ celebration for the Christian Faith and Church, springs from the knowledge of the energy of God’s operation in the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. Ephesians 1:17-23.

The Sabbath, its engagement and enjoyment, are grounded in Divine Election and Predestination and realised in the “Gospel of God concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord”, whom God the Father “Declared the Son of God with Power according to the Spirit of Holiness by resurrection from the dead:— by Whom we have received Grace for the obedience of the Faith for His Name among all nations, among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ, to the end ye may be established and comforted by the mutual faith in the Gospel of His Son.” Romans 1:1...12.

“Where two or three are gathered together
    in My Name, there I am in the midst of them.”
    We are not a ‘Church’ – new, or, another!
    We do not take money or favours!
    We don’t have nor desire an ‘earthly tabernacle’ to worship!
    We do not want ‘growth’ in numbers!
    We do not ‘count the nation’ or record attendance!
    We do not baptise!
    We do not convert!
    We are few, and will stay few.
    We believe because God had given us faith first.
    We love because God first loved us.
    We love the Fellowship of Christ, and in Christ.
    We love the Name of God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
    We love the fear of God and His Word Proclaimed.
    We love the pure Gospel of God’s free Grace.
    We love the knowledge and increase in the knowledge of Christ.
    We are not ashamed of, nor let ourselves be judged with regard to, the Gospel of Jesus Christ. (Ro1:16, Col2:16)
    Therefore we remember, enjoy and celebrate “The Lord’s Day” Sabbath, in the name of Christ, because of Christ, and for the sake of Christ, being the Body of Christ’s Own.
    We occasionally remember, enjoy, celebrate and so receive Sabbaths’ Eating and Drinking of the Lord’s Supper.
    We proclaim Jesus Christ Risen from the dead.
    “For this cause we do not cease to pray that ye might be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding.” (Col1:9)
    ‘Singing in our heart to the Lord’, we ‘sing with the spirit and with understanding’, ‘speaking to ourselves in Psalms’. (Col3:16, 1Cor14:15, Eph5:9,19)
    We abhor self-righteousness or ‘legalism’.
    We abhor self-satisfaction or complacency.
    We abhor boasting or distinction of men.
    In case you would like to join in Sabbath’s Celebration through the study and proclamation of the Word ‘according to the Scriptures’,
    the contact person in your area is, Gerhard Ebersöhn, Cell phone: 072-550-0539

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

[​IMG][FONT=verdana,sans-serif] [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]

Ed
    [/FONT]

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is a strong characteristic of the Boere (of whom I am one), that they can laught at themselves, and can laugh with their adversaries at themselves, and really enjoy it. But boetietjie, are they serious all the while! and never ever, happy with themselves. I like to be a Boer. And I have said it all my life, when I laugh, I am at my most dangerous. I used to be, and still am - the aches and pains despite - a robust and very strong man. I take it as one of the things the Lord has 'punished' me with. There are so many things that war against Christlike character; like humour and physical strength. Do I by experience know Romans 7! God be merciful to me, a sinner!

9. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Will do GE.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Funny you should say this. I just started a thread venting on using scripture out of context and this one was my example.

The verse above is about church discipline.

There do not need to be 2 or 3 Christians for God to be present.

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    No sure, Marcia!

But you can go see the setting or context of this saying of Jesus, two components:
    1) Not many, not popular, not vogue;
    2) But togetherness, assembling, worshipping as the Body of the Members of Christ's.

Which, as such, is the 'place'; which 'place' requires from the nature of it's being or reality, a 'place' not only of space in the sense of togetherness; but also, for the possibility of this place in space, the need for its place in time.
    Which, as in everything Christian Worship, is appointed and ordaind and institutionalised by God, 'according to the Scriptures', or it could as well be an assembling of Hindu or Islam or Judaism or even atheists.

Simple Christian language: Congregation and the Lord's Day, is what 'worship in Truth and in Spirit' is all about!

12. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There was a guy here - screen name "BenH" that was posting on this section of the board a couple of years ago -- don't know if he is still around.

The Seventh-day Baptists are the one what introduced Adventists to the Sabbath -- and hence the emergence of Seventh-day Adventists.

in Christ,

Bob

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From a book I have - don't even know where on my shelves to find it - of their 'head elder' (Can't remember exactly his 'title') in South Africa (a Xosa gentleman), the SDB in the early 20th c. had some strange connection - in the line of co-operation - with the Old Apostolic Mission, here. I still am unable to understand how they could get along, because of the Sabbath.

Maybe you people nearer to their home, could get them to tell us about these things?

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    I, GE, said,

"Simple Christian language: Congregation and the Lord's Day, is what 'worship in Truth and in Spirit' is all about!"

I qualify, that is far too much attributed to 'Congregation and the Lord's Day'; over the top enthusiastic. "Worship in Truth and in Spirit" is the great mystery of infinite Grace. I retract.