1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What happened to Sunday night service

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, May 17, 2015.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I always liked Sunday night services more than the morning ones.

3. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

People stopped coming, and the preacher grew tired to preaching to himself and his wife. If there were a groundswell of demand for Sunday night service, it would once again find its place in our worship schedule.

Oh, you want to know why people stopped coming? Mostly because they are busy. I stopped going because I have to work nights Sunday through Thursday to get ready for the next day. Now I probably could do Sunday night's work on Friday or Saturday nights but I don't.

Besides where is it written that we must have two or three services a week?

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sunday night TV.

Some of the Old Baptists still meet once or twice a month, usually with visitors from other congregations attending during their 'off' Sundays because the invention of the horseless carriage now allows them to make the round trip to another Church over the weekend.

5. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it does. Nothing special about it, like Bob Gray describes in his post. It's identical to the two Sunday morning services and the Saturday evening service. Since seating in the two morning services was maxed out, it was decided to add the Saturday and Sunday evening services. It's worked out rather well. Sunday evening is my preferred service.

:)

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We still have one, but it is pretty much going the way of the dinosaur as the people coming are all older.

We stopped doing the mini-Sunday morning service format a while ago and started doing more interaction and in depth Bible study. But younger couple and others don't come because Sunday nights are a time to just relax before the work week begins again.

About the article, what is so spiritual about not seeing the 2nd half of the 4 PM game or in my case, the end of a NASCAR race?

7. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

We have Sunday night service every Sunday with a few exceptions. My church has never had service the last Sunday night of the month. We also take off Sunday night for Mother's Day, Father's Day, Easter, and Christmas. If our Spring or Summer Revival services go through Saturday night, they will often call off Sunday night service to let everyone rest up.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't even know when our church stopped Sunday night services but it was before '96 when we started here. We enjoy Sunday afternoon/evening as a time to get together with church friends, fellowship, do something active and/or social (hiking, going to lunch/dinner, games, etc). We also have a college ministry that meets on Sunday night at the church so the college kids do go out but we've noticed that it has taken our kids away from our family activities which are important to us. I know they enjoy it but I miss them.

9. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Yes we do and we just revived the mid-week service.

BTW the folks who come really enjoy the mid-week. I have them place questions in a box and pull out the question form a message around it. So they get to learn something they had a question about and I get to delve into the subject to bring a message.

One of the questions was, What will you do if Jesus Comes Knocking on Your Door?
    Another What about cursing God?

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles Spurgeon, "A Dirge for the Downgrade and a Song for Faith" (1889):

"The evil over which I now mourn is not only prevalent among the outlying masses but it taints Christians themselves. Look at your half-Sunday professors—content with only one service and weary of that! How is it with many Christian people as to meetings for prayer? Prayer Meetings are the very soul of Church work and they bring down the blessing upon all our spiritual agencies. Yet they are despised by our high-fliers. In many Chapels two services in the week have proved too great an effort for the constitution of the ministers and too much of a tax upon the time of their hearers who are occupied with the far superior avocations of card games or lawn tennis."

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It was my favorite service. We would have anywhere from 1500-2000 in the chapel on Sunday evening.

Now we do special occasions where we might have one Sunday service a month.:tear:

12. Gib

Gib Active Member

We didn't have PM services for several years. We started Sunday evening services again in 2012 and it is usually well attended. We meet every Sunday evening. Period.

13. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I used to like the PM service more than the AM service, but not so much now. I could go for one but not both, and I am not really sure why. Are both really necessary?