1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What happens at a drum clinic?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by youngdavey, Jun 23, 2007.

1. youngdavey

youngdavey New Member

Hi all

Can someone please tell me what happens at a typical drum clinic.

Our local shop is holding one but the publicity does not explain what actually happens. What's the format?

Cheers.

david

2. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

What Happens at a Drum Clinic ?

Dear David,

The format is that there's a "meet & greet" time where you meet the person giving the clinic and the other drummers that hqave come. Next, there may be some discussion and instruction on the particular aspect of drumming being covered (i.e. bass drumming technique, playing jazz,rock,country,& Latin rhythms,using brushes,playing "odd time or meter",playing "time" and how to improvise off it ((think Joe Morello's solo in Dave Brubeck's "Take Five")),etc.). As you can see,there are plenty of topics that can be covered in playing and each can be it's own clinic.

Next,the clinician will demonstrate the topic being covered and then the attendee's might be able to play if a drumset or practice pad is available and after that maybe a "one on one" if time permits.This is pretty much the format of a clinic.

Clinics are a good way of learning and honing your drumming skills and have fun at the same time!

Your Fellow Drummer In Christ,

Dale

3. Chessic

Chessic New Member

They can be very inspirational and help motivate you during those times when you need some extra motivation to practice. There are many short clips on google/youtube that give brief glimpses into clinics, including some by really fine drummers and/or teachers. Many top drummers make instructional DVD's that are basically in a clinic format, and those DVD's often end up in clips on these sites. I just watched a good one last night by the late Jeff Porcaro on his famous groove from "Rosanna" by Toto.

4. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

If I attended a drum clinic - I would expect to get a headache!:rolleyes: :smilewinkgrin: :tongue3: