1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What happens to our sin that was washed away in the blood of the Lamb?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by percho, Dec 20, 2015.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could some of you who have studied Lev. 16 comment upon my understanding of the two goats concerning the work of Christ as the redeemer and High Priest? The two post below came from another thread concerning Christ being separated from the Father.

I believe the goat for the LORD took place when the Passover lamb was slain and Christ rose from the dead and ascended to the most Holy place and what is relative to the goat for Azazel will take place when Christ returns from the most Holy place.

Martin said.............
    I suppose I shall have to reprint my post on the scapegoat from the other thread. Here you are:

Lev. 16:20-22. 'And when [Aaron] has made an end to atoning for the Holy Place, the tabernacle of Meeting and the altar, he shall bring the live goat.
    Aaron shall lay both his hands on the head of the live goat, confess over it all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions, concerning all their sins, putting them on the head of the live goat, and shall send it away into the wilderness by the hand of a suitable man. The goat will bear on itself all their iniquities to an uninhabited land; and he shall release the goat into the wilderness.'

Aaron, as the representative of all Israel, identifies with the goat and symbolically transfers the people's sins to it. The goat is sent away to 'an uninhabited land;' literally (according to one commentary), 'a place of cutting off,' that is a place outside the camp where the creature was expected to die. All through Leviticus, being 'cut of from his people' signifies being given over to death. eg. Lev. 3:20. "I will set My face against that man, and will cut him off from his people, because he has given some of his descendants to Molech, to defile My sanctuary and profane My holy name.' (cf. also vs. 5-6).

The goat is sent away, bearing on itself all the sins of the Israelites. 'Therefore Jesus also, that He might sanctify the people with His own blood, suffered outside the gate.' the goat perishes carrying the sins of the people of God so that they should not suffer the penalty for sin. The Lord Jesus Christ died and carried our sins down into the tomb so that His people should not suffer the penalty for sin. 'And the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.'

I responded to MM thread ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Martin let ask for I feel you probably have studied this much more than I have?

Then shall he kill the goat of the sin offering, that is for the people, and bring his blood within the vail, and do with that blood as he did with the blood of the bullock, and sprinkle it upon the mercy seat, and before the mercy seat: And he shall make an atonement for the holy place, because of the uncleanness of the children of Israel, and because of their transgressions in all their sins: and so shall he do for the tabernacle of the congregation, that remaineth among them in the midst of their uncleanness. And there shall be no man in the tabernacle of the congregation when he goeth in to make an atonement in the holy place, until he come out, and have made an atonement for himself, and for his household, and for all the congregation of Israel. Lev 16:15-17 -----

Does that not equate to?---

But into the second went the high priest alone once every year, not without blood, which he offered for himself, and for the errors of the people: The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing: Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience; Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation. Heb 9:7-10

And that pointed to Christ presently who has entered into the real holy of holies as our high priest? ----Heb 9:11-15

But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: And he shall sprinkle of the blood upon it with his finger seven times, and cleanse it, and hallow it from the uncleanness of the children of Israel. How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Relative to Lev. 16: is not Christ the high priest still in the most holy place? Has he returned from the most holy place to deal with the goat for Azazel? "The Scapegoat."

Is that not still in the future and does it not take place after the day of trumpets? What do you think will take place on the day of trumpets, relative to those who were given the firstfruit of the Spirit beginning on Pentecost following the resurrection of the Passover Lamb?

I believe:

Jesus being the firstborn from the dead, washed away our sins in his own blood which has been sprinkled on the mercy seat in heaven, propitiation. Comparing Rev 1:5 with 1 Cor 15:17

Therefore what does our sins, that are wash away in Jesus's own blood, have to do with the goat for Azazel, which I believe to be a still future event?

I do not know how to make this relative to the OP but I believe it is.

I should have commented upon Martin's third paragraph that begin with, " The goat is sent away," because it contained a verse from Hebrews 13 verse 12.

Verse 12 is relative to verse 11 which equates Jesus suffering outside the gate to the bodies of the beasts, whose blood was carried into the sanctuary. That was the bull killed for Arron's sin and the blood pf the goat, for the LORD for the sins of the people. The bodies of those beasts, were burned without the camp and had nothing to do with the scapegoat.

No where is death, relative to the scapegoat, to my knowledge.

2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello Percho,
    My apologies for not having come back to you on the other thread. Yesterday was very busy for me, and today isn't looking much better, so this will be briefer than your questions deserve. Also, let me say that I am by no means an expert of the various offerings and festivals, so I shall be more than happy for anyone to come and supplement my meagre knowledge and/or correct my errors.

I consider that the Yom Kippur is one event and that the Lord Jesus Christ is depicted in all of it (cf. John 5:39 etc.). If I may put it this way, it is a composite picture. Christ is the High Priest who sheds his glorious accoutrements (ephod, breastplate, robe- compare Lev. 16:4 with Exod. 28:5ff), and comes to the holiest place to offer up Himself to God. He is the bull for the sin offering for the people as a whole (Lev. 4:13); He is the two goats (which are really one sacrifice), the first dies for the individual sins of the people (4:13), and the second is the sin-bearer for His people, having their sins laid upon Him and bearing them away. Christ is both of the goats. He has not only made expiation for those sins, but He has taken them far away from us. 'As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgression from us' (Psalm 103:12). He is also the ram for the burnt offering, a sweet savour to the Lord, symbolizing our acceptance into the favour of God.(Lev. 1:13).
    I believe that the tomb symbolized the place where the scapegoat was driven. When Christ was raised from the dead, He left, symbolically, our sins there- they are gone for good. Christ is now seated at the right hand of God (Heb. 10:12), 'for by one offering [of Himself] He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified' (v.14). His work is over; everything necessary for our salvation has been done.

3. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things that have come, then through the greater and more perfect tent (not made with hands, that is, not of this creation) he entered once for all into the Holy Place, taking not the blood of goats and calves but his own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption. Hebrews 9:11,12

I assume the Holy Place is in Heaven where God the Father was. When did Christ enter the Holy Place as high priest in a tent not made of hands? When did the one who said, "Thou art my Son, this day, have I begotten the," glorify Christ to be high priest?

Another interesting thing I noticed there I have not noticed before is the phrase, then through the greater and more perfect tent (not made with hands, or as the KJV has it, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands. Where have I seen that before?

For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven: If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked. For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.
    Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit. 2 Cor 5:1-5 Are we to be clothed in the same kind of tent as Christ?

Other than the weekly Sabbath which is an holy convocation day Lev 23 lists seven other days that are holy convocation which were preceded by the sacrifice of the Passover Lamb on the 14th day of the first month, the death of Jesus Christ. The giving of the earnest of the Spirit spoken above began on the third of those holy convocations. I believe that is still going on today, the giving of the earnest of the Spirit, Acts 15:14 a people for the name of God, to rule with Christ. Those holy convocation days appear to me to be chronological with the next being the day of trumpets, the 1st day of the 7th month, which to me appears to point to, in a moment in the twinkling of an eye at the last trump and or, For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: or that is when he returns out of the Holy Place.

The next holy convocation day being, Yom Kipper the 10th day of the 7th month, showing something that took place and something to then take place. What does Revelation say takes place before the reign of a thousand years and right after the thousand years?

The 15th day? The 22nd day?
    In-gather who, the tabernacle Acts 15:16? ----- ????the rest of mankind Acts 15:17?

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t know if he’s still on this forum, but Thousand Hills would sometimes offer observations to “noodle.” By that he meant to contemplate. Along the same lines I want to offer a few points, ideas, and difficulties that I have with understanding this thread – not to debate or assert, but to contemplate, to “noodle.”

Our sins are not things. They are immaterial (I don’t mean non-germane, but literally not material). Sin simply is not a thing upon which one can act. Here is an illustration: suppose yesterday I saw a man in need, felt compelled by the Spirit to help but dismissed doing so because I did not want to take the time or offer the money to help the man. This is a sin. What will happen to that sin? Nothing will happen to that sin, it is an act of disobedience that has passed. What happens to our sins is not the question. The question is, what will happen to me for that act of disobedience. God cannot act upon our sins, but He will act upon us in regard to our disobedience.

When God takes our sin, washes away our sin, removes our sin as far as the east is to the west, we are not really speaking of sin. We are speaking of us. Our sins are washed away is simply another way of illustrating that we are cleansed through the blood of Jesus Christ. God has sprinkled clean water on us and we are forgiven our iniquities. The problem was never sins, it was our sinfulness. We are reborn and our past actions of disobedience are forgiven. As we go through this life we pass from grace unto grace. We become more and more like Christ and our acts that are unlike Christ are forgiven.

Sometimes I also wonder if we do not make a separation or distinction between our sins and ourselves (between our actions and our being) that may not actually exist. So my "sins being washed away" may not refer to my sins but to me.

Anyway, I just thought I’d toss this out there to consider and take or leave. I could very well be missing the entire premise of this thread (if so, my apologies).

This looks to be an interesting discussion.

#4 JonC, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the living water was sprinkled on the dead Jesus Christ, in other words spirit life other than life that was in the blood, thus washing away our sins in his blood. That is what makes the last Adam, the resurrected Adam, life giving spirit.

It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. 1 Cor 15:43-46

And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Matt 28:18

Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead: Rom 1:3,4

Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel: 2 Tim 2:8