1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What have been your experiences with pentecostal churches?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Mar 17, 2008.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

This past Sunday, a new Church opened up around my neighboor and I wanted to stop and say hi!! Well, when the Church service started it was pretty cool but the guest preacher man.. he was yelling out of the top of his lungs. I mean yelling.. In my mind I was like.. Whoa.. dude chill out you will have a heart attack. :laugh:

Anyways, this was a small pentecostal church. It didnt say so outside but I could tell by the service it self.

What has been your experiences with Pentecostal Churches in General?
    Pros and Cons?

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pentacostal service

Loud, LOud, LOUD.

Have not found the preaching enlightening. But their services seem to suit the needs of lots of people. Methods do not matter as long as the message is there.

3. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Yeah it was pretty loud.. I mean.. loud.

4. D28guy

D28guy New Member

For years I've referred to myself as a "bapticostal". In my 26 year christian experience I have developed roots in both groups, and have great respect for both groups.

There are of course positives and negatives in both groups, but I can say that my most rewarding, fullfilling and spiritually fruitfull "gathered church" experiences have been in pentecostal/charismatic fellowships.

God bless,

Mike

5. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

I was invited to service by a co-worker a few years back. I told him I'd go, as most do. I'd had people stand me up, too, and I knew it stunk, so I stood by my word and went.

Long story short: probably the most unscriptural bunch of LOUD nonsense I've seen, before or since.

People running around the auditorium, waving banners, shouting, falling down, even rolling across the floor. I thought one old fellow was going to have a heart attack. As mentioned earlier, there was very little actual content in the "sermon", such as it was. What I've heard called "long-horn" sermon: a point here, a point there, and a whole lotta bull in between!:laugh:

1Co 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

1Co 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

Please understand, I have no ill-will toward any of the Pentecostal persuasion, I just think they're missing the boat on more than a few areas.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

I found it to be complete unbiblical garbage. Like one church who preached if you had faith in God you'd quit taking your medication for high blood pressure.

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because of one church you condemn all of them?

8. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Yeah.. I know but not everyone is like that. Like I know a evangelist who thinks that way and he sometimes doesnt take any medicines for colds. God thought me a lesson though, because I critizized him for that in private with my wife. Well, one day we had a need and he supplied. He not only supplied he went overboard and was and is one of the kindest person I know. We agree on everything else, its just that he prefers to trust God as he says and not take any pills. He says that he just feels thats the best way for him and that in the old testament or even new testament they didnt have tylenol so why I have to take it.. lol.. I mean he has a point but who cares if he takes a tylenol or not thats his life. All I am saying is that we cant just be quick to judge people.

My friend the evangelist, even though he doesnt like to take medication. One thing he is doing that most who take medication are not is going into missionary camps and preaching God's word. He goes to Peru and over there he established a center for abused widow's and orphan's and with donations received in the US they send clothes, food, materials, bed sheets ext. to help those that are in needs.. This is why I say that we cant just say... Its unbiblical Garbage, because with all do respect, how much unbiblical garbage you or I do everyday yet we are saved by Christ. I hope you get my point, and thats why I included my self with an I.. because we all fail and say things that are not right. :godisgood: :wavey:

9. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

I have frequented two Pentecostal congregation groups:
    1) Assemblies of God,
    2) Apostolic Pentecostals.
    I had the former for church home for two years even though I never agreed with Pentecostal tenets; I enjoyed their enthusiasm in serving the Lord. I have visited congregations of the latter group many times.

Experiences have varied widely. At first, I thought, like Sgt. Fury, that things were not done "decently and in order" like 1 Corinthians 14 prescribes. It looked like chaos. However, as I observed more, I saw that for the most part, it is `controlled chaos.'

Assemblies of God that I saw vary from
    i) a small rural congregation that was not much different from a Baptist church, to
    ii) an urban church at an upscale city.
    The emphasis seemed to be very much on `show' in the two congregations I saw from bigger towns -- the bigger the town, the more emphasis on `show.' On the other hand, the people filling the pews did not seem that much different in Christian character than most other fundamentalist/evangelical denominations.

The procedure for tongues is that people may babble `in tongues' privately at set times in the worship. You stay quiet during the sermon except perhaps a toned down `Amen' or `Hallelujah.' At times when private tongues are okay, such as during praise time, a person may start yelling what is thought to be a public tongue. The band stops, and the congregation goes silent until the yelling stops, and everyone waits silently until an `interpreter' speaks.

Assemblies of God are Trinitarian; Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are seen to be distinct Beings within One God. Assemblies of God are also frequently cooperative with other denominations. Also, for congregation prayer, a person is appointed to lead, and everyone prays orally for petitions listed for the congregation; when the appointed person says "Amen," everyone is to stop their prayers. This corporate prayer model is based on Acts 4:24.

In Apostolic Pentecostal congregations, there is no public `tongues'/`interpreter' thing. Corporate prayer is the same as in the Assemblies of God. Interestingly, preachers do not want a quiet auditorium when they preach. They want vociferous "Amen" and "Hallelujah" and similar, as well as clapping and standing ovation for `the Word as it is preached.' Believe me, they can yell right over it.

Dress codes are commonly quite strict, and women are taught not to cut their hair, which they believe 1 Corinthians 11 prohibits. The King James Version is the most commonly used translation, often by rule -- but not always. The most common greeting is not `Hello,' `Hi,' or `How are you?' The most common greeting is "Praise the Lord" as you hold out your hand.

They are Oneness, meaning that they believe God was the Father, then changed form to incarnate as Jesus Christ, and then after Ascension, returned to us as the Holy Spirit. This is the reason that baptism is in "Jesus' Name," and the person `speaking in tongues' is expected to be evidence of salvation. Adamance about Oneness varies: some insist that Trinitarian Christians are polytheists who are Hellbound, while others value all Christian denominations even if `wrong' on this. Adamance about Oneness baptism and tongues varies as well: some insist these are needed or a person can expect `eternal barbecue,' while others others value all Christian denominations even if `wrong' on this.

As for entirely non-denominational Pentecostal churches, one never knows what s/he is going to see and run into. When emotions lead church congregations or religious organizations, anything can happen. Some non-denominational Pentecostal churches are at least somewhat controlled; others can be very wild.

Pentecostal Bible interpretation differs from most other groups. Pentecostals seem to view the Bible as a Book primarily of promises to us.

Pentecostal groups tend to have services on Tuesday, Thursday, or both. Many also meet on Sunday afternoons. Their unusual service times enable someone like me to visit them. While I do not agree with the religious tenets, and do not always approve of the excesses, they do have an attention-getting way of reminding me to live out my committment as a Christian.

#9 Darron Steele, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2008
  10. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Wow.. pretty Cool!!

11. nunatak

nunatak New Member

most of what I have seen is strictly a salvation by works message. They generally view anyone who has not spoke in tongues as unsaved.