1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What I have leaned

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Salty, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not a game. I was thinking one day about some spiritual appliations of this game board. I sent a PM to Diane about this and she thought it was a good ideal.

So to start off I will begin with "I can't think of a name for this game" The games requires you to write a sentence without the letter "E". It is surprising how many BB posters including yours truly failed and were given lashes with a wet noodle. ( I wonder how many went back and did a quick edit!)
    I thought about Roamans 3:23. No mattter how hard we tried it was hard to write that sentence without the letter "E" and we "fell short of the glory of the game".

Likewise, no matter how hard we try to live a good life, we all fall short of the Glory of God. We can only praise the Lord that it is not "by works of righeteousness" that we are saved. Eph 2:8-9. And in eternity, we will not be able to "edit" our lives.

Hmmmmm, I wonder how many messges will be inspired by this thread?

In Christ
    Salty

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

We had a game, 'Is This In The Bible' and I learned that we seem to attribute any 'good sounding' quote to scripture.

Some that stand out are:
    The lamb will lie down with the lion.
    The Bible ACTUALLY says "The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them. The cow will feed with the bear, their young will lie down together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox. The infant will play near the hole of the cobra, and the young child put his hand into the viperĀ¹s nest" (Isaiah 11:6-8).

God Helps Those Who Help Themselves... not in the Bible.

Cleanliness is next to godliness.... a John Wesley remark in a sermon but NOT in the Bible.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

One thing I've learned, by looking at Today's Active Topics, is that most of our most actve members post on the 'chatty' threads and never get involved in serious biblical discussion or devotionals.

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

1 Corinthians 13:10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. 13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

The game, Before and After is based on the Wheel of Fortune type game where you have to use the middle word in both phrases such as:
    Faith, Hope and Love
    Love your neighbor as yourself

The Before and After game reminds me of the verse above and many more!

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread started in the "Games" thread. Diane, in her wisdom thought it might be better to bring it to the General Baptist Disscussion. Many of you may not go to the Game Forum, but give it a try once or twice. It is a lot of fun, but also, it does make you stop and think. As I stated in the orginial post you may find some spiritual applications. Maybe, just maybe one of those lessons you learn could be an inspiration for a Sunday School lesson or message.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Also not in the Bible:
    "There is no room at the inn."

Mary rode a donkey when she was pregnant.

There were 3 Magi who brought gifts.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Luke 2:7 And she brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling cloths, and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.

God helps those who help themselves:
    This isn't in the Bible but people believe it is!

God works in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform: NOT in the Bible!

God moves in a mysterious way
    His wonders to perform;
    He plants His footsteps in the sea
    And rides upon the storm.
    (From "On The Loss of the Royal George")

8. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

About posting without using an "e" . . .
    Why would a man want to do that, anyway? Would it count for any kind of glory to his account? Will it put stars in his crown? Should it actually occur, would anybody pull out that post for honoring him? It'll probably not occur at all in this forum.

9. Victory in Jesus

Victory in Jesus New Member

Post without a WHAT?

Nah, I couldn't do that.

Psssstttt!!!! If you put gum on that particular button, you'll fly through your posts. ;)

10. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Diane,

"God Helps Those Who Help Themselves... not in the Bible." Is from Poor Richard's Almanac by Ben Franklin

11. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

It is not difficult to post without that. Just think about what you want to say.

12. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

A quick brown fox jumps around a lazy dog.

13. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Now is an opportunity for all good individuals to approach and aid my national land.

14. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Regarding what is not in there: "Thou shalt not dance."

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

'Tis not that hard.

A man in Russia hid his gold.

Four goats took hats for food.

Bring him a washcloth that is hot.

You may find forks and spoons in that cubby.

Sing a song to him tonight.