1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What if Calvinism & Arminianism are both wrong

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by VDMA, Nov 18, 2021.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    They get to drink wine.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    #43 37818, Nov 24, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  4. VDMA

VDMA Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You realize Luther subscribed to the unaltered Augsburg confession, etc?

Sadly Calvinist “learn” Luther through a “Reformed” lens, from people such as the late RC Sproul and JI Packer. Luther,
    like Lutherans adhere sacramental theology. Luther or Lutherans never abolish the Mass, or sacraments (Baptism/baptismal regeneration, private confession and Holy Absolution, sacrament at the altar, for the forgiveness of sins), etc. Luther like Lutherans believe the sacraments impart faith and forgiveness. Where there is forgiveness of sins there is life.

LW 5:43-50 “I hear that here and there among the nobles and persons of importance vicious statements are being spread abroad concerning predestination or God’s foreknowledge. For this is what they say: ‘If I am predestined, I shall be saved, whether I do good or evil. If I am not predestined, I shall be condemned regardless of my works.’ . . . If the statements are true, as they, of course, think, then the incarnation of the Son of God, His suffering and resurrection, and all that He did for the salvation of the world are done away with completely. What will the prophets and all Holy Scripture help? What will the sacraments help?”

"I have wanted to teach and transmit this in such a painstaking and accurate way because after my death many will publish my books and will prove from them errors of every kind and their own delusions. Among other things, however, I have written that everything is absolute and unavoidable; but at the same time I have added that one must look at the revealed God, as we sing in the hymn: Er heist Jesu Christ, der HERR Zebaoth, und ist kein ander Gott, “Jesus Christ is the Lord of hosts, and there is no other God”—and also in very many other places. But they will pass over all these places and take only those that deal with the hidden God. Accordingly, you who are listening to me now should remember that I have taught that one should not inquire into the predestination of the hidden God but should be satisfied with what is revealed through the calling and through the ministry of the Word. For then you can be sure about your faith and salvation and say: “I believe in the Son of God, who said (John 3:36): ‘He who believes in the Son has eternal life.’ ” Hence no condemnation or wrath rests on him, but he enjoys the good pleasure of God the Father. But I have publicly stated these same things elsewhere in my books, and now I am also teaching them by word of mouth. Therefore I am excused."

https://ref.ly/o/lw05/155980?length=1313 via @Logos

————

If you want to read a good treatment on the subject on the differences between Luther and Calvin I would suggest reading this theological journal.

7-4 Bondage of the Will (PDF) — LOGIA