1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What if SC had not fired?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Salty, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt had a good question from my "was the South justified"
    So I am starting a new thread. Thanks Matt

Matt Black [​IMG] vbmenu_register("postmenu_975237", true);
    4,000 Posts Club

[​IMG] RE: Was the South justified in firing on Ft Sumpter
    Interesting thread; another interesting question for me is "would there still have been a civil war if SC hadn't fired on Ft Sumter?" After all, this was before Virginia had seceded and Lincoln had called for volunteers, both of which flowed from the events of April 12-14 1861. Any opinions on this one?

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I suppose the question behind the question is "was Lincoln determined to have a war in any event?" If so, how well could that have been sold to the North without a casus belli like Ft Sumter? Could there have been a peaceful parting of the ways?

3. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I think there was such a simmering of so many hot button issues (including, but not excluded to state's rights and slavery)...that if SC had not fired, someone else may have.

4. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So are you saying that secession alone made war inevitable?

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the federals were able to resupply (and later to reinforce) Ft. Sumter, it seems to me that the tensions would only be increased.

Geographically, Ft. Sumter is in a position to intercept trading vessels entering and exiting the harbor. If SC had not "gone to the mat" to oppose resupplying the fort, then I think that the federal government would have been far more likely to attempt more aggressive, albeit non-combat, measures.

IMO, it was only a matter of time after secession before SC would attack Ft. Sumter. If they had waited longer to do so, they would have been in a far less desirable position.

Just imagine if SC had delayed long enough for the Union navy to send a fleet to Charleston harbor to complement their fortified artillery battery!

6. billwald

billwald New Member

Lincoln did not "believe in" the Declaration of Indepndance and neither has any subsequent president. Lincoln would have found another reason to start the war.