1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What if we met in person?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Herald, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Discussing biblical doctrine can be done without animosity, but one of the ways to "win" a debate, is to disparage the opponent rather than his or her views. When someone employees the logical fallacy of arguing against the man (ad homenim) those reading should conclude biblical truth is against him or her. Peer pressure will also mitigate our problem, when someone steps out of line, i.e. saying an opponent has a thick skull, or does not know his poo stinks, readers should post these sort of comments are not how we should treat our brothers and sisters. Both Webdog and Quantumfaith have made those sort of helpful posts.

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent post!!!

No one's poo stinks to them as much as other people's do! That is the way sin is, too.

I think it might be just wonderful for two or three gathered at Cracker B. to loudly discuss viewpoints.

Other customers might have one of several reactions: Be discussed with the display of un-Christlike behavior. Amused that the argumentors (don't you like that word) are so "puffed up" to not notice those around them. Perhaps some will quickly leave.

Isn't that like those many who lurk outside the posts everyday, reading and not participating? What testimony do we leave behind in the words displayed for all to see.

But wait! There's more!

I want to tell a story of an angry preacher. He was really upset with some member(s) who were anonymously attacking him, and he actually was removing his coat to openly challenge who ever it was to stand up and confront him openly.

Unbeknown to the folks, a visitor and his wife were in the congregation. Now this visitor (a marine) had no desire for the things of God, but when he heard and watched the preacher, he returned Sunday after Sunday just to see if a fight would break out.

It came to pass, that as this marine heard the Scriptures that through the Word this tough marine actually came be converted. I got to know this man and wife in another church setting. As we visited, his testimony was not only unusual but one of the clearly unique character changes in a person's life - a life that truly reflected Christ.

I have lost track of them over the decades, but I do trust he and his wife are still safe and serving Christ.

Even in the midst of turmoil, God's Word is not ineffective, but will be used as He desires.

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Why don't you take that up with them?

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

5. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

you have to take in consideration also that every person is not alike--whether attitude or personality--God didn't make us all alike--we are all different than each other in some form or another.

Preachers behind pulpits are the same way--they have more Boldness to preach the word of God and tell it like it is--but when they are out in public---they are no longer in their surrounding in the Church but in the World--So they take a different approach to their communication.

same as us in these threads--we have more boldness speaking on these forums to one another than if we were out in public and the world together--doesn't mean we will not tell the same truth but taking a different approach in doing so---this is my 2 cents worth on the matter :love2::love2:

6. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

that's true in one sense in the agreeing on the main doctrines of the bible such as--Christ's VIRGIN Birth,Sinless life,Horrible Death,Resurrection,ascension, and so forth--these we MUST agree on or the question of one's salvation does enter the equation ................

on the other hand---we can disagree on such things like who the 7 heads of the dragon were or the 10 horns---even on Futurism and Preterism--only if we hold to the main principles as I have stated that we MUST agree on.

we can disagree on many things--BUT there are some that are NOT non-agreeable on :love2::love2:

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We must also agree on a literal and physical future return of Christ. Anything outside of that is complete heresy.

8. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

I can agree with you cause I must on the return of Christ

But I can disagree with you on the time of his coming--I believe it was at ad 70---the end of the new testaments age

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm betting that if any of us met face to face, it would be a friendly time. I doubt if any of us would want to debate any of the stuff we argue about here on the BB. We'd just want to enjoy each other's company.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is complete heresy

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some of us already know each other. We have either met or at least talked on the phone.

Salty has been to my house on vacation in Florida.

John Morris and I went to India and preached a crusade together.

Padre and I have spoken on the phone a number of times.

#31 Revmitchell, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2013
  12. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

13. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

according to your view friend--because that's all you can see at the moment--
    May the Lord send his Light upon you that you may see !!!

:love2::love2::love2:

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and may I add Revmitchell was a very gracious host!:wavey:

I met Padre at a restaurant on evening (wont mention he was late)

Have spoken to a number of others on the phone. And as Tom said "it would be a friendly time. ... We'd just want to enjoy each other's company."

So why don't we all take a trip out to NM. Revmitchell - do you have enough horses for all of us?:smilewinkgrin:

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

I don't like nobody,

Nobody likes me,

And that's just the way I like it :tongue3:

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    double negative - that means you like everbody!

17. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tried. They don't want to hear that they're not alone in the universe and I just don't care enough to argue with them. If they want to think those things about us, what do I care?

18. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    and here I thought we were becoming friends :(

Im way up in the frozen canada so, no one is ever out this way :tear:

I was just in California though at a conference... I wish i just hid down there.

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

I feel your pain brother. When I get lonely, I watch hot videos like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiGhVjkVIVo

The F-86 is my favorite. :tongue3:

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I still say the group that would pay the highest price are the pastors who post like that, if they talked the same way to their congregation on Sunday morning. It would look something like this.

[​IMG]