1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What if you partake in the holy communion and aren't worthy of it?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Aug 8, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

The bible says that people have gotten sick from it or even died from it! :eek:
    How do I know that I have never done this?
    This really bothers me. In the house meeting where I go to it's always like this:
    You sit there and expect nothing and then all of a sudden the leader says: "Today we gonna have holy communion" and then he already reaches the bread basket to everyone and everyone just grabs a small piece of bread and directly eats it like candy and next is the vine. They simply drink it and that's it. They sit there and talk and just eat and drink it.
    There is no time at all to think about wether there are sins which you should confess or not you're totally taken by surprise.
    I don't think this is okay. I really miss the seriousness. What if I have taken place in the holy communion and had some unconfessed sins? How am I supposed to know this? What did those in the bible do wrong that they got sick or even died?
    Did they have sin in their life and then took part in the holy communion or what was their mistake? Does this only refer to unconfessed sin or sin in general? Does this mean that if I sin and a few hours later I want to partake in the holy communion then I bring a curse upon myself?

#1 xdisciplex, Aug 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2006
  2. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Find a Bible reading, Bible preaching church, then read your Bible and prayerfully request God's help in understanding.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

That is great advise!

4. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Read the part of 1 Corinthians you're speaking of in its context.

5. bound

bound New Member

Grace and Peace,

I would be more concerned if you partook of the Lord's Supper and thought yourself worthy of it. Knowing your are saved by grace through faith is a testament that you're never been worthy and never will on your own.

In my opinion it is within the complete abandonment of thinking yourself worthy that we embrace the grace of God given us. Amen! Praise the Lord!

Am I wrong?

Regardless Peace and God Bless.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Read the rest of the Scripture and you will find its in God's hands if you are a child of God He will take care of you. Live the best you know how and don't read something into that Scripture that is not there. There were many in those days that followed just to fill their bellies with the bread and wine and in no way were they honoring The Lord.

When I take communion I just trust in my Lord. What else have I got. If I am mistaken about being worthy to take the communion then maybe I am mistaken in my Salvation. Always keep your eye on the Lord and you be alright.

31: For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
    32: But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.
    33: Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.
    34: And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

7. mojoala

mojoala New Member

This was another turning point in my belief as a Baptist.

For 27 years I have heard this story in Luke 24 about Opening of the Scripture to their minds. Every single Pastor I have heard preach this stops short of verse 35.

Some Pastors have even been to so bold to misquote this in this manner:
    Breaking of the Bread?

This was one heck of an event if
    They recognized him as the Christ not because they were made known the Scriptures, but in the BREAKING OF THE BREAD. And these guys were not part of the Last Supper bunch. They were outsiders. The Last Supper's breaking of the bread is more significant then scripture.

Then we have the other references to the BREAKING OF THE BREAD which occur after the Ressurection:

Act 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Act 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and
    breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

Act 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to
    break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

Act 20:11 When he therefore was come up again, and had broken bread, and eaten, and talked a long while, even till break of day, so he departed.

1Co 10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The
    bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?

1CO 10:16 was never read to me by any Pastor in 27 years.

15 I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say.

16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?

WHY WOULD SOMEONE BLESS A SYMBOLIC IDEA? ONE CAN ONLY BLESS SOMETHING LITERAL AND TANGIBLE. THERE'S THAT CATHOLIC WORD AGAIN! COMMUNION!

Paul is blessing a physical thing. He is blessing an actual cup. And is blessing actual bread.

PAUL IS SAYING THE WINE IS THE BLOOD OF CHRIST. PAUL IS SAYING THE BREAD IS THE BODY OF CHRIST.

17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

18 Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar?

19 What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing?

20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.

A CLEAR INDICATION OF THIS CATHOLIC PHENOMENON KNOWN AS THE "SACIFICE OF THE MASS". PAUL IS CALLING ON THEM TO OFFER A SACRIFICE TO GOD IN THE FORM OF THE WINE AND BREAD.

21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.

SELF EVIDENT.

Then we come upon this verse in the same epistle:

"Therefore whoever eats the bread and drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord. . . . For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body, eats and drinks judgment on himself" (1 Cor. 11:27

WHy would Paul have to examine his conscience for mere Bread and wine? Why would Paul have to examine his conscience for a symbolic idea?

Ignatious of Antioch did not think it was mere bread or a symbolic idea:

"I have no taste for corruptible food nor for the pleasures of this life. I desire the bread of God, which is the flesh of Jesus Christ, who was of the seed of David; and for drink I desire His blood, which is love incorruptible." St. Ignatius of Antioch ("Epistle to the Romans," c. 105 A.D.)

"Heretics abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the Flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ." St. Ignatius of Antioch ("Epistle to the Smyrneans," c. 105 A.D.)

For those that do not know, Ignatius was a known Desciple of John the Apostle. Ignatius wrote what he learned from John.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Why do you think the prayer of asking God to bless it is for? When we take communion we think of it as being the actual body and blood of Christ. That is why after communion that I as Pastor take the remaining bread and fruit of the vine and actually bury it for I don't think its to be just thrown out or given to kids, or dishonored in anyway, but to be respected as if it were the actual body and blood of our Lord. Our table is cover with a white linen as if it were the shroud that covered Him. amen

#8 Brother Bob, Aug 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2006
  9. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

@ mojo

So you think that you're eating Jesus when you partake in the holy communion? :eek:

10. mojoala

mojoala New Member

That reverence you are showing is not a typical Baptist reverence. Most Baptist churches I have visited that do a once in a while communion, throw what's left into the trash.

11. mojoala

mojoala New Member

Yes, only when the Pastor consecrates(blesses) it. The early christians were called Cannibals because they "ate their God" because they did not believe.

12. mojoala

mojoala New Member

After reading 1 Cor. 11:27 about Paul's warning about discerning, I had to revisit John 6 and read again the bread of life discourse.

His listeners were stupefied because now they understood Jesus literally—and correctly. He again repeated his words, but with even greater emphasis, and introduced the statement about drinking his blood: "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him" (John 6:53–56).

Notice that Jesus made no attempt to soften what he said, no attempt to correct "misunderstandings," for there were none. Our Lord’s listeners understood him perfectly well. They no longer thought he was speaking metaphorically. If they had, if they mistook what he said, why no correction?

On other occasions when there was confusion, Christ explained just what he meant (cf. Matt. 16:5–12). Here, where any misunderstanding would be fatal, there was no effort by Jesus to correct. Instead, he repeated himself for greater emphasis.

In John 6:60 we read: "Many of his disciples, when they heard it, said, ‘This is a hard saying; who can listen to it?’" These were his disciples, people used to his remarkable ways. He warned them not to think carnally, but spiritually: "It is the Spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life" (John 6:63; cf. 1 Cor. 2:12–14).

v63. "It is the spirit that gives life" It is the grace of God given by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, that gives a spiritual life (2 Cor 3:6; 1 Cor 15:45-47; Jn 3:6). "the flesh is of no avail" A body without a Spirit is dead. Note that He doesn't say "my flesh" which is the subject of the Eucharistic passage, but "the flesh" of Jn 3:6 and 8:15. Throughout this discourse they have been asking for food for their flesh and He has been offering spiritual food. "the words" "Believe in Him whom He has sent", "eat My Flesh", "drink My Blood". If you believe, then you will be baptized and receive the Holy Spirit (Jn 3:3-8). If you eat and drink His Body and Blood, then you will receive everlasting life. Jesus is alive, His Flesh and Blood are not separate, both are present in the Eucharist. His Body and Blood can not be separated; He has ascended.

But he knew some did not believe. (It is here, in the rejection of the Eucharist, that Judas fell away; look at John 6:64.) "After this, many of his disciples drew back and no longer went about with him" (John 6:66).

This is the only record we have of any of Christ’s followers forsaking him for purely doctrinal reasons. If it had all been a misunderstanding, if they erred in taking a metaphor in a literal sense, why didn’t he call them back and straighten things out? Both the Jews, who were suspicious of him, and his disciples, who had accepted everything up to this point, would have remained with him had he said he was speaking only symbolically.

But he did not correct these protesters. Twelve times he said he was the bread that came down from heaven; four times he said they would have "to eat my flesh and drink my blood." John 6 was an extended promise of what would be instituted at the Last Supper—and it was a promise that could not be more explicit. Or so it would seem to a Catholic. But what do Fundamentalists say?

v66. "many of the disciples drew back and no longer went with him" Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of souls left; turned their backs on Jesus and eternal life. If Jesus had not been speaking literally, this was His last chance to correct their misunderstanding. Since He didn't, we have absolute assurance that their literal understanding is the correct one. This is the only incident recorded in Holy Scripture where anyone stops being a follower of Jesus for a reason of doctrine.

v68. "Simon Peter answered him" Peter, chosen by Jesus to be the chief Apostle (Mt 16:19), acts as spokesman for the entire group. "to whom shall we go?" If we had a choice, we would leave too, but there is no other choice. We know you have come from God. You speak the words of God (Jn 3:34; 17:8). We don't fully understand your message, but we have enough faith in You because of He who sent You that we'll stay with You. "You have the words of eternal life" You have given us God's promise of eternal life. 'Eat My Flesh, drink My Blood', these actions truly give us eternal life.

13. mojoala

mojoala New Member

How about some little Bible chapter and verse trivia?

In the NT the only Chapter and Verse combination of the mark of the beast 666 is in the Gospel of John.

JOHN 6:66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

What if John in Revelations when he saw 666 as a number of a man, he was symbolically seeing the those that refuse to acknowledge the "Real Prescence" of Christ in the Bread and the Wine? What if those that refuse this doctrine have in actuality accepted the Mark of the Beast?

14. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry; won't work! Thew chapter and verses were added later!

15. mojoala

mojoala New Member

So? John was seeing the future, was he not?

16. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

what!?:eek:

17. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Don't believe Mojola, xdisciplex. Read the Book. Remember where people come from in these forums. Get a handle on it. Back off, think it over. Take a break. God loves you, and so do I!

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I couldn't live with myself if I did that. Bless,

19. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

:) :wavey:

20. mojoala

mojoala New Member

So, when I make John 6 symbolic, this sounds logical to you?

51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven. 52 If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever; and the bread that I will give, is
    a cracker which will symbolize my flesh, for the life of the world. 53 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying: How can this man give us a cracker to eat as symbol of his flesh ? 54 Then Jesus said to them: Amen, Amen I say unto you: Except you eata cracker which is a symbol of the flesh of the Son of man, and drink grape juice as a symbol of his blood, you shall not have life in you. 55 He that eateth a cracker which is a symbol of my flesh , and drinketh grape juice which is a symbol of my blood, hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day.

56 For
    a cracker as symbol of my flesh is meat indeed: and grape juice as a symbol of my blood is drink indeed. 57 He that eateth a cracker as a symbol of my flesh, and drinketh grape juice as a symbol of my blood, abideth in me, and I in him. 58 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father; so he that eateth me in symbolic form as crackers and grape juice, the same also shall live by me. 59 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead. He that eateth this bread which is symbolic crackers and grape juice, shall live for ever. 60 These things he said, teaching in the synagogue, in Capharnaum.

61 Many therefore of his disciples, hearing it, said: This saying
    that we must eat crackers and drink grape juice to symbolize his Body and Blood is hard, and who can hear it? 62 But Jesus, knowing in himself, that his disciples murmured at this, said to them: Doth this scandalize you to hear me say that you must to eat crackers and drink grape juice as a symbol of my Body and Blood? 63 If then you shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before? 64 It is the spirit that quickeneth:the flesh profiteth nothing. The words that I have spoken to you, are spirit and life. 65 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning, who they were that did not believe, and who he was, that would betray him. And he said: Therefore did I say to you, that no man can come to me, unless it be given him by my Father. 66 After this many of his disciples went back; and walked no more with him. 67 Then Jesus said to the twelve: Will you also go away? 68 And Simon Peter answered him: Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. 69 And we have believed and have known, that thou art the Christ, the Son of God.

Questions for those who think the Body and Blood were 'merely symbolic.' Why did disciples leave and follow no more simply over a 'ceremony?' What is there that is scandalous about a 'symbolic ceremony?' They didn't have time to celebrate it? It would add too much extra time to the Sunday service and people wouldn't be able to get home in time to remove the pot roast from the oven? What?

You must explain the reaction of the listeners. It doesn't jive with the "symbolic explanation."