1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What if you're wrong and we are right?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by William C, Feb 25, 2003.

1. William C

William C New Member

What???? Calvinist now believe that the Fall of man and Arminianism can cause people to be non-elect?

So, God decides to elect Joe, but Joe runs into an Arminian like Billy Graham and because he believes that it was his choice that saved him he ends up going to hell while God sits up in heaven shaking his head in disappointment? This is a new one for me.

Npety, Sturgman, Dallas, Larry, can one of you Calvinistic guys help ol' Ken out here, I think he might be confused.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He would not believe that his choice saved him. People like you might confuse him so that he thinks his decision was a part of the salvation mix but he would never proclaim, "I am saved because I walked the aisle", or "prayed the sinner's prayer", or "repented", or "believed", or "was baptized". A truly saved person will come to understand that he contributed nothing to save himself - that, as Jonah said, salvation is of the Lord.

3. William C

William C New Member

Ditto back to you, Brother Bill, ditto back to you. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]I'm not the one who thinks I couldn't be mistaken. I have considered both sides of this argument and I'm still not 100% sure either way. I'm very careful when handling these doctrines with immature believers because I realize the ramifications they could have.

I'm just not willing to risk causing disunity and confusion for a doctrine that is not clearly taught in scripture, especially when that doctrine leads to what Calvinism can lead too.
    1. Unfavorable views of God
    2. Confusion
    3. Disunity
    4. Abuse of Grace
    5. Anti-evagelism

There is no eternal value for holding to Calvinism, none whatsoever, except to be able to brag to all your Calvinistic friends once you get to heaven--and that's only if your right. Just consider the ramifications of your teaching if you are wrong!

4. William C

William C New Member

He would not believe that his choice saved him. People like you might confuse him so that he thinks his decision was a part of the salvation mix but he would never proclaim, "I am saved because I walked the aisle", or "prayed the sinner's prayer", or "repented", or "believed", or "was baptized". A truly saved person will come to understand that he contributed nothing to save himself - that, as Jonah said, salvation is of the Lord. </font>[/QUOTE]Ken, your still not being consistant here. Was this imaginary guy that "believes that it was his choice that saved him" going to hell because he has adopted a sin nature and God "passed over him." Or was he elect and became non-elect when the Arminians got a hold of him? Your not making any sense, please explain.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And for some reason you have a terribly wrongheaded notion that one can believe in Arminianism and escape any dire consequences if it is false(which it is).

Just far do you take this idea, Brother Bill? Is any non-Calvinistic teaching okay with no dire consequences? What about the teaching I was taught from my youth in the Church of Christ that a person is not saved until he is immersed and the teaching in that same denomination that the Holy Spirit gave us the Bible and that's bascially all of the impact that He has on conversion. Or the teaching in the Church of Christ in which I was raised that only members in good standing in the Church of Christ are saved? These are certainly not Calvinistic teachings so is it okay to adhere to them?

I am afraid your hatred for the doctrines of God's amazing grace has gone to seed, Brother Bill. And it is truly a sad sight to behold. :(

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am afraid you are not making any sense, either. Could you please formulate a clearer question? :confused:

The elect are always elect. One doesn't switch between being elect and non-elect.

7. William C

William C New Member

Ken, don't play dumb, you know what I'm asking. You said that fewer people would be in hell if not for Arminian's teachings, how is that possible if the number of elect does not change?

8. William C

William C New Member

And for some reason you have a terribly wrongheaded notion that one can believe in Arminianism and escape any dire consequences if it is false(which it is).</font>[/QUOTE]What dire consequences will result from someone who believes exactly like a Calvinist except for TULIP. If one believes in Lordship Salvation and that God receives all the glory for salvation but he doesn't believe people are total unable, unconditionally elected, or in a particular atonement for those elected and an effectual calling. Exactly what eternal consequesis could I have if I neglected teaching any of those things and taught the gospel message of Christ's death, resurrection and our responsilbity to follow him.

Again, I've never once said that any false belief doesn't have negative effects. I'm only comparing the eternal effects that Calvinism has compared to Arminianism.

The burden for you being careful is much greater because the risk is much greater if you happen to be wrong.

9. The Harvest

The Harvest New Member

brother bill said
    i think you are a bit confused.
    For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Rom 10:13

you must think this verse says "For whosoever shall call up on the name of the Lord and then make sure to work real hard and never sin again shall be saved"

-----

Joh 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

If you believe on the Son you have everlasting life. everlasting has no beginning and no end. once your spirit is joined with Christ's (1 Cor 6:17) you are apart of His eternal life. eternal life is never ending. you can't have it and then not have it. if that's true, then it isn't eternal.

-----

1 John 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

when you get saved you have the Holy Spirit of God indwelling you.
    John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
    28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
    29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
    You have God living inside you when you are saved. You are His child (John 1:12). He will never let you go and nothing can take you away from Him.

-----

Rom 8:38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
    39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Now tell me if there is anything missing from this list. Is there anything that can separate you from Christ?

Besides, where is the list of which sins will separate you from God if there are any. if i have to keep my salvation by working and not sinning, does it include all sins? or just big ones like murder or adultery? i asked a catholic priest this question before when he was attempting to explain which sins would send you to hell and which would send you to purgatory. he couldn't come up with a response. and i'm guessing you won't be able to either.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for finally asking your question clearly. [​IMG] I said nothing about the number of people being in hell being affected. Please go back and read what I said. I was offering a reason why some will end up in hell even though some Arminian had told them they were saved because they had performed what the Arminian believed to be a salvific act - because Arminianism teaches that election is conditioned on man.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Frankly, Brother Bill, and I say this with love in my heart for you, that is a stupid statement. I am saved by the finished work of Christ on my behalf based on the truth that the Holy Spirit has shown me in God's Word. The finished work of Christ is all that can save me and all I can rely upon to save me. I contribute nothing to my salvation. I am safe and secure from all alarms in the arms of Jesus, my Savior and Lord.

Frankly, you should be ashamed of yourself for trying to cause people to worry about frying in hell because they have trusted in the finished work of Christ alone for their salvation and urge others to do the same.

Well, your scare tactics won't work with me. And you other Calvinists who read this thread - you don't buy this snake oil from Brother Bill, either. And you non-Calvinists that read this thread - look at what Arminianism had led Brother Bill to do - trying to make those who trust Christ's work alone for salvation to shut up from telling others the good news of God's amazing grace.

Remember that God's people are safe in the arms of Jesus. [​IMG]

12. William C

William C New Member

Thanks for finally asking your question clearly. [​IMG] I said nothing about the number of people being in hell being affected. Please go back and read what I said. I was offering a reason why some will end up in hell even though some Arminian had told them they were saved because they had performed what the Arminian believed to be a salvific act - because Arminianism teaches that election is conditioned on man. </font>[/QUOTE]Oh, I get it now. The eternal consequesis of Arminianism, if we are wrong, is that there will be some people in Hell saying to themselves, "Darn it that stupid Arminian told me I was saved and really I'm not!" But they were going to hell anyway because they weren't elect in the first place, right?

So the horrible harm that we did was giving a non-elect dude hope of salvation when in reality he had no hope at all. We shouldn't have given him any hope so that he wouldn't be surprised when he got to hell.

Is that what you mean?

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the poor fellow had not fallen for the Arminian trap then he might have been open to hear the gospel of God's amazing grace instead of trusting in human effort for salvation.

I am quite confident that all of God's elect will be saved. But I wouldn't want to be among those who put stumbling blocks in the way of their journey to the truth - which is what all false teaching does. The consequences are not pleasant.

14. William C

William C New Member

Yeah, well the statements you make supporting Universalism are stupid too, but we all endure it.

Once again you resort to misquoting me because you can't answer my actual argument. I never said Calvinists are going to fry in hell. Go back and read my posts. We both believe in the "finished work of Christ alone" but we disagree as to how this work is applied to us. So, just back off the misquotes and the misapplications of my arguments!

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's what you started this thread by stating - "Please...please...please be careful that your doctrine is sound. If you have the least bit of doubt that you could be wrong, hold back from teaching it to others. Why risk damaging the eternal future of others over a doctrinal belief that is not even practical in our daily ministry? It can only do damage to the cause of Christ!"

You said "damaging the eternal future of others". You said "damage to the cause of Christ". Do you think that one can damage other people's eternal future and do damage to the cause of Christ and go unscathed?

You are hoisted upon your own pitard, Brother Bill.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You believe it is applied by something you do. I believe it is applied by something God does. There is a wide gulf between those two positions.

17. William C

William C New Member

If the poor fellow had not fallen for the Arminian trap then he might have been open to hear the gospel of God's amazing grace instead of trusting in human effort for salvation.

I am quite confident that all of God's elect will be saved. But I wouldn't want to be among those who put stumbling blocks in the way of their journey to the truth - which is what all false teaching does. The consequences are not pleasant.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Before you posted this: And bad doctrine such as Arminianism must be opposed every step of the way so that the fewest number of people will be there [hell], not because one cannot be saved as an Arminian, but because it gives a certain number of people a false security that they are already saved when they are not as my thread about the core danger of Arminianism points out.

You just said all the elect are going to be saved so the people going to hell must be the non-elect ones. Our Arminian doctrine, if it is false, causes these non-elect people who have absolutely no hope of salvation to think that they might be saved. They go to hell either way, so I'm not understanding the ETERNAL HARM here?

Second, if we misguide an elect person by giving them a false since of security, how does that affect his ETERNAL SECURITY? We are only teaching him that he is going to be saved, which according to you is going to happen to all the elect, so once again where is the ETERNAL HARM?

You just don't want to accept the fact that your doctrine, (if it is wrong) has more eternal consequeses than does Arminianism (if it is wrong). Its a fact your going to have to accept, because it's true anyway you look at it!

BTW, its the P in TULIP that is the most likely to give one the false since of security. Just thought I would point that out.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Bill,

I am more than willing to stand before God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit with my understanding of the doctrines of God's amazing grace intact, knowing that the finished work of Christ alone is the only basis for my salvation.

Your statements do not trouble me in the least. But we Calvinists must stand up to you so that others will see the errors you are stating and the consequences they are having in your own life by going on this witchhunt against Calvinists.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. And there are a lot of Arminians that believe the falsehood of the first four points of Arminianism and then stick eternal security in at the end when their first four points are in direct opposition to it and which gives them a flawed basis for believing in eternal security.

20. William C

William C New Member

Oh, Ken don't make it sound like Calvinist never go witchhunting for us Arminians. You guys used to burn us, remember.

I'm just pointing out a fact that you should keep in mind as you go around teaching your doctrine, it may come back to bite you.