1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What If???

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by tyndale1946, May 17, 2017.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many of us on here know what I have heard called the faith chapter in scripture Hebrews 11... What is interesting to me is those who went through the various trials and tribulation received not the promise... We have!... We are permitted to look down through history and to see those who stood in their steadfastness of faith as those in Hebrews 11 who also received the promise... From the Apostles down through the ages of those who thought more of following their Lord and God Jesus The Christ than their lives... They embraced that scripture FOR ME TO LIVE IS CHRIST AND TO DIE IS GAIN!... If you have read some of the old writers Eusebius Ecclesiastical History, Saint Irenaeus Against Heresies and Foxe's Book Of Myrtyr's of those who stood even in death after having received the promise you know where I am coming from... We can see the atrocities of evil around us everyday and we remember those of the past and how some of us stood in the breach, protecting our freedoms and those of others... You may be asking yourself so what is the purpose of this post?... A friend of mine who has been a minister over 60 years brought up this question... If your faith was tried as these were what would you do?... You can say well I would do this or I would do that but the fact remains if faced with these trials, tribulations and afflictions you don't know what you do unless you come face to face with it... I can say well if I was that brother or sister I would do this or do that but unless you are in their skin you don't know... What would you do if they came to your house took all your Bibles and religious books and then closed your churches and said you will not worship in the name of Jesus Christ anymore?... Is this going to happen in my lifetime or yours?... Some on here say yes it's coming, while others are just waiting to see and others say its past... Will we stand united as brothers and sisters in Christ or divided as we are on here?... Would you defend some brother or sister who doesn't exactly believe like you do?... Isn't that what Christianity is all about?... What Would Jesus Do!... When faced in life with "WHAT IF!"... Brother Glen:)

#1 tyndale1946, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  2. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Glen, before Yeshua died and rose again, Peter boldly proclaimed his allegiance and utterly failed. It is not insignificant that Yeshua talked with Peter after the resurrection and asked Peter if he loved him (Yeshua).
    The answer to your question lies in whether we are walking in step with the Spirit or living by trusting in our own willpower. If by the Spirit, we will certainly stand fast. If by our own flesh, we will certainly fail.
    As for standing with others...our hope is in Christ. May we treat our neighbors as ourselves even under persecution. May we be forgiving like our Coptic brothers have been in Egypt. We are ambassadors of God's Kingdom.

3. Calv1

Calv1 Active Member

Interesting question, is that the exegesis of that passage? I always thought it meant "Promise=Heaven", well I'm sure you're right, you wouldn't post if you weren't sure.

Here's my take on that question, so the FG declares martial law, anyone professing Christ, in possession of a bible, etc. will be killed on the spot.

If we are TRULY REGENERATE, not a professing Christian, I think God would give us the grace to stand up to it, and yes die for the faith, while the professors most certainly would recant. This is biblical.

God grants us repentance, He grants us faith, He opens our heart to understand the scriptures, He takes out our hearts of stone and puts in a heart of flesh, He does these things. In ourselves, no, but if we are regenerate we are in Christ. I do think He'd give us the grace to say "Kill me then", not saying it would be easy, but I think we could do. I'm not afraid of death, but am afraid of dying, you know being aware of it, the pain of it, just something about it that scares me. Then I get in the Spirit and all fear is GONE.

I believe it was the second century, there was a large group of Christians being slaughtered if they wouldn't recant, some did, some didn't, then the question arose, as far as I know for the first time among Christians "Can we be saved if we deny Christ", here is my view, I say, as does scripture, that IF we are a truly regenerate Christian, we CAN'T DENY HIM. So those who did deny Him showed themselves as phonies, if we don't love Christ more than our lives we can't be His disciple. It's like Johns teaching on perseverance, "They went out from us, but there going out only illustrated that they never were of us", I think it's the same thing with facing death, as our Lord died, so would we IF we are truly regenerate. Yes Peter denied Jesus three times, but He hadn't the Spirit yet, the Spirit was with him, but not in Him.