1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What internet service is best?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Gina B, May 18, 2003.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I have aol and compuserve. I don't want them anymore. Their service is horrible, the techs untrained beyond reciting what's in front of them, and they use a lot of resources.
    I don't have the option of getting cable connection.
    I don't like netzero.
    I'm not looking based on cost, I'm looking based on quality, although I'd prefer not to pay anymore than I do now, which is about $25 a month.
    What do you recommend?
    Gina

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Give Juno a try.

Earthlink has a pretty decent record, while being just as expensive as AOL.

3. Andrey

Andrey New Member

Earthlink was very reliable for me, before I switched to broad-band.

<><

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

HAve you checked into any local companies? We had a local ISP and I paid half what you are on AOL. Now we have DSL, I wouldn't have it though if the boys hadn't agreed to help pay for it monthly.

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I've heard good things about earthlink, and only one person who didn't like juno.
    I'll be checking both of them out.
    I never thought of a local service provider. Where would I look?
    Gina

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Gina, your local phone company would be a local ISP. We use Bellsouth and because I have their extra phone services, I pay only $14.95 for unlimited service.

PLUS, if you get friends to switch to Bellsouth, they give you money off your bill. Several times I've gotten $10.00 credits.

Diane

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If it's within one's budget, I HIGHLY recommend DSL or cable modem. I have SBC Yahoo DSL, and it runs me less than $40.00/mo, less than the cost of dialup and a second line. Plus, when the kids are over, I find that they'll spend more time on the internet researching homework and class projects. Who'da thunk?? Homework being fun?? I don't think I'd ever go back to dialup.

I've only had one technical problem, and the girl on the other end was on the phone with me from beginning to end. She refused to get off the phone until the problem had been solved. I was so impressed that I had to send them a letter letting them know how great this employee was!!

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Look in your yellow pages, and like Diane said try your phone company. I have my DSl with my phone company, and could pay less if I had their cable tv(half), but don't want 10 extra sports channels. Their regular internet(dial up) is a very ggod price though.

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

We can't get DSL in our new subdivision! Bellsouth ran too few lines and old type wiring when this subdivision was built 4 years ago.

The man at Bellsouth told me it doesn't matter what ISP you have IF you have old wiring or noise on your line. You'll still get bumped or have slow reply time. Hubby tried MSN for a few days last year and nothing changed.... No big deal... some double posts or lost replies sometimes but I don't spend that much time online anyhow.

Rainy.. Yukky....... Cold....... Sleepy weather today.... Yawn!

Diane

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

John, I did check and dsl/cable isn't available in our area. It SAID it was, but I guess it's not. LOL It's ok, it was gonna be close to 80 a month anyhow, which I wouldn't pay.
    Gina

11. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I pay $16.95 a month for local ISP (not through phone company). I don't need an extra phone line. I leave my cell phone plugged in and turned on when I am online. I also have CallWave which I pay $80.00 a year for and when I get a call, I hear it immediately on my pc and I have the option to have it transferred to my cell phone or just call them back when I get offline.

One advantage of having a local ISP is they fix my computer when it breaks down and I only have to drive about 10 blocks to get it to them. They have also made housecalls!

12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had Earthlink and the service was excellent. (A co-worker who has it agrees.) The price is in the range you mentioned.

In fact, I'd still have Earthlink had it offered DSL in my area.

13. Pastork

Pastork New Member

I have bee using paxway for some time a love it. Paxway provides filtered internet access that keeps the bad stuff from ever reaching my computer. It costs about $20.00 per month for dialup access. http://www.paxway.com/

14. preacher

preacher New Member

Gina....go with an ISP, they may be slower with the dialup but its really cheap compared to these others out there. Plus there are ways to speed thing up a little...like keeping your're history file clean & temp files...etc. also in some areas you wind up paying long distance charges with some of the aol types. Just look in your yellow pages & let your fingers do the walking!!! [​IMG]

15. shadow_of_the_cross

shadow_of_the_cross New Member

we use an ISP called CleanInter.net ( http://cleaninter.net) It's a Christian filtered internet service and costs about $20/month. Anyway, it's been pretty reliable for us; you can check it out if you want