1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is a Baptist?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by noregrets1987, May 24, 2007.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think you're right, skypaid, that a huge number of Baptists are dispys.

In my neck of the woods, though, I'm finding that more and more Baptists are becoming less and less enthusiastic about the idea.

2. skypair

skypair Active Member

And believe it or not -- that's a GOOD sign! :thumbs: Half the "virgins" weren't ready.

skypair

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

Be my guest. I'm listening.

John 1:1 -- "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." Then, in the beginning of time (we call Jesus "Alpha" at this point), John 1:2 -- "The same was in the beginning with God."

Is John confused or just you?

skypair

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    John isn't confused, but I'm not sure about you.

The Word (or Son) is eternal and co-existent with the Father; where would you find scriptural support that "there are 3 of Him because He decided to make His triune Persona into 3 Persons"?

5. bubba jimmy

bubba jimmy New Member

This was an excellent question, and there is still a lot to be explored in connection with it. When I consider vast differences between different denominations that use the "Baptist" name, it is bewildering. For example, there are the Old Regular Baptists who are vastly different in their doctrinal undersandings than say a Free Will Baptist. Missionary Baptists are different still, and many churches that don't call themselves "Baptist" have many of the attributes I've ready here regarding baptists. For example, the Calvary Chapel churches believe as Baptists do regarding scripture, the Trinity, baptism, communion, etc. They are somewhat "unbaptist" in their beliefs regarding gifts of the Spirit, and they don't use the Baptist name, but I think they would blend in very well at a Baptist convention.

You see, there is no one unified "Baptist" statement of faith. There are some who call themselves Baptist who are more different from your average Baptist than a Presbyterian. After reading all through this thread, I still could not give you a very good definition of what a "Baptist" is. I suppose you just have to know one when you see one?

6. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I forget which TV preacher it was, but this is beginning to sound like the guy who said each member of the trinity has 3 parts, making a total of 9. Now that was weird.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be Benny ( Heretic ) Hinn .

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Oh yeah, thanks. I only heard about it, I didn't hear him preach it. I couldn't tell if it was a story about Benny Hinn, or about George Lucas. (Star Wars was originally meant to be a trilogy of 3 movies, totalling 9.)

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

AMEN RIPPON!

11. Allan

Allan Active Member

I have ALOT on that garbage they preach. It deals specifically with the Word of Faith Movement.

I actaully post a lot of it and specifically that portion of Ol' Benny "new revelation on a TBN broadcast" in the other denominations forum concerning the whole Word of Faith heresy.

I have done a great deal of studying up on it because it is creeping into the churches of denom's but specifically into the many baptist Churches through the back door of friendly home bible studies. Espeacally up here right now in the Dakota's (South) in the area I have begun a new Church work just a few weeks ago - De Smet. ( Once the home place of Laura Ingles Wilder in her childhood - Little house on the Praire)

I was astounded to hear the stuff people was comming up with. I remember one lady told me after she god back from a trip to Israel, that before she left her bags wth the airline she commanded God to "make sure her bags go to her airport when she did. And guess what?" she said. "When I go there God did just was I said - Praise God!"
    I had quite a long talk with her about that and not more than 2 or 3 more studies later she left because my beliefs aren't scriptural. "We are in Christ and therefore Christs ourselves. We are made in the image of God and therefore we are God to like God is, by commanding things to be by the word of our mouth and God is bound to obey."
    And I need to become more spiritual and grasp that.

If I ever go that way, I give absolute permission to anyone here on the BB to shoot me, if My wife hasn't already done it first.

#31 Allan, May 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2007
  12. bubba jimmy

bubba jimmy New Member

But doctrine is a big part, isn't it? I mean can you imagine a church that practices infant baptism being a Baptist church no matter how the church is administered?

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

If one wants the short description of a Baptist, it would be centered around baptism.

Historically, Baptists have held to:
    Baptism of believers only.
    By immersion
    To picture the gospel, and to demonstration one's death to sin and resurrection to a new life in Christ.
    Baptism (and the Lord's Supper) are non-sacramental.

Others are, the Trinity, the deity of Jesus, eternal security, soul competency, priesthood of the believer.

Polity has involved generally a congregational government, with no hierarchy.

Individually, these beliefs and practices are held by other church and denominational groups, but taken together as a whole, they describe a Baptist.

Southern Baptists and Independent Fundamental Baptists are actually quite similar in doctrine.

There are always exceptions, of course. General Baptists and Free-Will Baptists (who are quite similar) do not hold to eternal security; Seventh-Day Baptists worship on Saturday.

14. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rejection of infant baptism is subsumed under polity because Baptists believe in a church membership only of regenerate individuals able to testify of the work of Christ in their lives. That rules out paedobaptism.

Seriously, I probably overreached in trying to minimize the doctrines involved, but my point is that the distinctives that make Baptists Baptists are overhwlemingly related to principles that set out the relationship of the Christian to Christ, the Church to Christ, the Christian to the church, and the Christian and the church to the broader world, not doctrines like soteriology, eschatology, etc.

15. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gentlemen et al:

I have not read the thread all the way through.

But, it seems that any discussion of who or what a Baptist is should entail a rabid commitment to the separation of church and state.

From my own personal study of Church History and Historical Theology and the History of Christian Thought; this is one of the major premises the Ana-Baptists on the continent came against and possibly to some lesser degree the Puritans and Separatist groups in England.

Ain't it funny that the Independent Fundamentalists Baptists of the 20th century think they are big on primary "separation" and "secondary separation" issues. HA!:laugh:

Don't get angry, it was only meant as a joke!

This issue is the very one that the moderate Baptists groups have been screaming about b/c Dr. Falwell, the SBC, and other conservative and Evangelical groups helped to put Ronald Reagan and others in office.

They see this as a violent desecration of the Baptist mandate to maintain the "wall of separation" that Jefferson spoke concerning to the Danbury Baptist Association. And we know how that "doctrine" has been perverted and misinterpreted.

FWIW!

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This abstract of distinctions is taken from the website of the General Association of Regular Baptists :

Some of the other associations and conventions may differ somewhat from this list.

You can click on the website URL and get a full description of each distinctive.

There is an old barb: Ask 10 Baptists a question and you will get 12 answers.

HankD