1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is a hyper-fundamentalist?

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Shiloh, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

1. It's ok for a Christian to "drink" because it taste good.
    2. It's ok for a Christian to "smoke" because Scofield did.
    3. It's ok for a Christian to "dance" because David did.
    4. It's ok to welcome a "cocaine addict" into our fellowship, woman preachers are fine and on and on and on. The only thing that you people criticize consistently is the KJV.
    Be careful...before you cut my head off with your snide remarks read the first two posts on this "fundamental" page. There are two men quoted. In what category would you put these two fellows? Just what is a hyper-fundamentalist?

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Hyper-fundamentalists are the polar opposites of hyper-liberals. They believe they and their little group (which usually grows smaller and smaller as they split hairs and eventually run out of hairs to split) are the only ones who are right and anyone who does not cross their t's and dot their i's EXACTLY like they do is a liberal, if not a hyper-liberal. The Pharisees of Jesus' day would be considered hyper-fundamental and the Saducees would be the hyper-liberals. Jesus aligned himself with neither group.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, to me, they are well-meaning Christians who, in their zeal for the Word and for God, unfortunately end up being very "hard" on people.

Now I'm not saying that we should be "soft" at all when it comes to God's Word.

But to me, you can tell a extreme fundamentalist by one or more of the following:

1.) Their views and attitudes on women are hurtful. They may be CORRECT in their interpretation of the bible when it comes to women, but their voices imply a disdain for women that they may not even be aware of. There is a lot of this on the BB.

There was a visiting fundamentalist pastor once at my church (which is a fundamentalist church) who was leading a revival. I played the offertory song on the piano and when I sat down, he went ON and ON and ON and ON about how he enjoyed my playing and how talented he thought that I was and how he wished that he could play like me.

I was quite embarrassed as I do not like that type of "let's sing the praises of the pianist" in the middle of a worship service, so to stop him from continuing, I smiled and said, "well, brother, I can't preach."

The smile left his face and he looked at me with a hateful face and SCREAMED at me from the pulpit, "Well, sister, you WOULDN'T preach at MY church. Your twin brother maybe...but not YOU!"

I was mortified beyond belief.

2.) They hold to a "hardline" interpretation of how to treat unbelievers. Yes, homosexuality is a sin, drunkeness is a sin, divorce is a sin, and so is conforming to the image of this world.

But homosexuals are people, drunks are people, divorcees' are people, and people lost in the cesspool of the world are people. We are to pray for these people, reach out to these people, and when they come to our churches, we are to love them and to present the gospel to them without malice.

The world full of lost people will NEVER be saved as long a Christians are making a mockery of lost people. There are Christians who would NEVER invite "sinners" to church. Why?? Because they are too full of sin!! I don't get it.

3.) Their ideas about the "worship" service are stagnant. They are marked with an unwavering and sometimes unfruitful view of music, sermon topics, order of services, and how to extend an invitation and more.

I am not talking about "organ vs. the drums" nor am I saying that contemporary worship services are more fruitful than traditional. But I am saying that a person who absolutely refuses to bend on "style" of music or "style" of preaching or "style" of worship is hung up on traditions of men.

And that is a fundamentalist at the core.

Are they my brothers and sisters in Christ? Yes.

Are they just as valuable to the Lord as us moderates? Yes.

Should I, as a moderate ever think myself more "holy" than they? NEVER!!

But you asked our personal definition of a fundamentalist. That is mine.

Others will disagree with me. Quite vehemently.

I love you anyway.

Peace-
    Scarlett O.
    <><

4. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

It might be more accurate, in historical, scholarly terms, to just call such men "jerks." It has little to do with Fundamentalism.

A term like "hyper fundamentalist," since it has no definition, is just a slur term for somebody who is stricter than someone else regarding one issue or many. In communicates nothing more than the taste of the one doing the name calling.

A jerk is a jerk, whether he's Druid, Jainist, or Fire-Baptized Holiness.

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I agree! Answers can be found in the Bible and that answer fits even today.

6. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

In what category would you people place Dr. David Innes and Dr. George Dollar?

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Since I don't know either of them I could not categorize them. I am not too big on 'categories' anyways, that is the 'Sword of the Lord''s job. ;)

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not actually, the Pharisees were actually more liberal in the sense that they accepted far more (the Oral law, the Writings, and the prophets) than the Sadducees, who only accepted the Pentateuch.

Nevertheless, I don't find very much correspondence between modern day fundamentalism vs. liberalism and ancient religious .

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Well, my friend, that just goes to show the folly of categorizing. One man's 'liberal' is another man's 'fundamentalist'.

10. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I think its easy to define hyper-fundamentalist. Hyper means anything over and above, so it would be anythin over and above the fundamentals of the faith which are pretty clearly spelled out in the Scriptures and outlined in the classic set the Fundamentals.

11. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Dr. David Innes and Dr. George Dollar are quoted in the heading of this Fundamental board.
    1. Categories of Truth 2004 by Squire Robertsson
    2. Some Definitions in Fundamentalism, by Squire Robertsson
    I wonder if these men would fall in your category of hyper-fundamentalism? Side by side these two men by Dr. Smith of the Sword of the Lord......would make Dr. Smith look like a liberal. In fact I'm not sure both of these men haven't called the Sword of the Lord a moderate to liberal paper at one time or another.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

They do lie in the same bed. Just at opposite ends.

I would disagree. I think it is the other way around because the Sadducess only considered the Torah credible.

Jesus always pointed to what God wanted not a group of politicians.

13. Rob't K. Fall

Rob't K. Fall New Member

While, I can't speak for Dr. Dollar. As a member of Hamilton Square Baptist Church, I believe I am in a position to speak to Pastor Innes. Truth be told, I can't remember Pastor Innes making any remarks positive or negative about the SotL. SotL just isn't a factor out here in San Francisco.
    I was in the Sunday Evening services when Pastor Innes first preached on the Columns of Truth. If I correctly understood the messages, I believe you are incorrect in your characterization of Pastor Innes' thoughts about The Sword.

14. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Shiloh to mirror on the wall:

Mirror, mirror on the wall,
    whose the most fundamental of them all?

Mirror to Shiloh:

Why you are Shiloh.

You don't help other christian's view of fundamentalists by referring to people who oppose your opinions as "YOU PEOPLE"

BTW, Shiloh I was doing coke and going to church with my parents at the same time when I was a teenager. Nobody knew about it but I was still doing it. Of course I got saved and quit all that mess.

David did dance it is recorded in Scripure. Now he wasn't "dirty dancin" but he was dancing. What are you going to do ignore the fact that he was dancing?
    I've heard many posts on here from people with the same kind of views as yourself. I myself have some of the same convictions. Your problem is your attitude. You come off as trying to sound superior. I believe if you were debating in person you would probably be the guy yelling louder than the rest simply because your arguments are weak therefore you have to out talk people to make your point. A strawman is still a strawman no matter how much straw you add to him.

15. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Thank you for the insight ShannonL. I am trying to help folks understand just what a "fundamental Baptist" is, or at least was.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Could we leave the "hyper" off please Shiloh and then would you present your interpretation of what a Fundamentalist is please?

I think you will be surprised by how many posters would come very close to fitting your interpretation.

17. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A fundamentalist is one who accepts scripture literally as the final authority... neither adding to nor subtracting from. A hyper-fundamentalist adds their opinions between the lines of scripture when they aren't satisfied that God was sufficiently conservative.

The Bible does not condemn things because they taste good or are pleasing to the senses.

By principles that I will both live by and teach, I believe that Christians should not smoke.

However, due to the fact that scripture does not give a direct command on the subject, I must trust that God will direct other Christians on how to apply biblical principles to their own lives. IOW's, I do not have a biblical basis for turning my convictions based on principles into a LAW that all Christians must submit to... which differentiates me, a fundamentalist, from a hyper.
    David did dance... and so have other Christians including those around the time of the fundamentals and before. They went to community socials where they had ballroom or square dancing.

So there is a context in which dancing may not be forbidden. There are also places and dances that are sinful instead of social.
    No more so than allowing a legalist into our fellowship... the judaizers in Paul's day were no more welcome than the drunkard or adulterer.
    A literal reading of scripture demonstrates that women cannot pastor or teach or usurp authority over men.

Why do you have a habit of lumping everyone who disagrees with you into the same pot?

I allow others the liberty of conscience to drink if it can be done thankfully and without harming their testimony in the social environment they minister in because scripture doesn't declare it a sin. I deny that a woman can rightly serve as a pastor because the Bible only qualifies men.
    Nope. We criticize KJVOnlyism... because once again, it is a man-made rule not found in scripture.
    Probably best defined as someone who demands that their personal beliefs that fall into categories 3 and 4 are category 1 truths for all Christians... or else they are "liberal" or worse.

18. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

I believe a fundamentalist does not question the Word of God, Gen.3:1-5

I believe also a fundamentalist believes in separation not infiltration, IICor.6:17, Rom.12:2, in opposition to liberalism which promotes a philosophy that believes personal and ecclesiastical separation is not important.

In the book, "New Evangelical Theology" Millard Erickson (Wheaton College) wrote, "The fundamentalist has condemned too many things such as wine, dancing and the movies. The new evangelicals think of this as the spirit of leagalism."

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

So you never study?

If you do not ask questions then you either claim to know everything or you are content to stay ignorant.

20. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

quote, "If you do not ask questions then you either claim to know everything or you are content to stay ignorant."

1. I don't understand this, if I post something like this I would get censured by a moderator.

2. A fundamentalist doesn't have to re-write the Bible everytime he finds something he/she doesn't agree with. When the fundamentalist reads "Thou shalt not" they don't! The liberal looks for a verse to twist to agree with them or as I said change versions.

Is that plain enough for you gb93433?