1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is a "LIFE VERSE"?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by dianetavegia, Apr 28, 2003.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

A woman at church got all excited and said "That's my 5 year old's LIFE VERSE". Then today I saw a post on another board where a woman is sending out graduation cards to teens she's never met and she wants to give them each their own "LIFE VERSE".

What is meant by this? I've been in church my whole life and have never heard this term until the last two weeks. Is it something recent?

Diane

2. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Diane, a life verse is a scripture from the Bible that is especially poignant and very personal to the person. Some people can not limit themselves to picking just one. I myself have a couple.

A life verse should be picked by the individual...someone saying that they were going to give someone else their life verse, makes it have little personal meaning usually.

It's got to be a verse that speaks to the person in some personal way. Some type of "missions statement" as a person in business would call it, or a personal admonishment that that person tries to adhere to, or something that speaks to their belief or their goal in their Christian life.

Mine are:
    2Cor. 1:3-4: Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted by Christ.

Prov. 9:10: The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

Often Pastors when signing children's Bibles will sign with their name and their life verse. My Pastor signed my childrens Bible's with Rom 1:16.

When I asked a Missionary friend of mine and his wife to sign my Bible before they left for Russia, He signed with Rom 10:14, and she with Phil. 4:13 which is of course is "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" Very poignant considering her fears of going to a foreign country at the time.

Life verses should show something about the person who holds it dear. It's a verse that should say "This is who I am, or who I desire to be"

In Christ,
    Laurenda

3. wizofoz

wizofoz New Member

4. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Believing the entire Bible and loving the entire Bible is very good, but very different from what a "life verse" is.

For instance do you personally identify with the scriptures about being a submissive wife or those that discribe homosexuals, or Satan etc. do they tell others who you are personally, or who you want to be?

In Christ,
    Laurenda ;)

5. wizofoz

wizofoz New Member

I just think that comes close to picking scriptures out of context and trying to live your life by just those certain ones.

The entire Bible is a life instruction book; you need it all, not just parts of it.

I'd prefer "favorite verse".

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Hmmm. My life verse is from Samuel: I will play music before the Lord

But if I had to choose a "favorite" verse, it wound be from Genesis: And they were naked.

Now, if I had to choose one to go on my tombstone? Which one wold be more appropriate??? :eek:

7. wizofoz

wizofoz New Member

How about 1 Timothy 6:7? "For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out."

8. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

My favorite verses are different from my life verses. I have lots and lots and lots of favorites...here's a few:

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen. Hebrews 11:1

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Prov. 16:24

Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is the power of thy hand to do it.
    Prov. 3:27 (This was my life verse when I was newly saved)

Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding. Prov. 17:28 (whenever I open my mouth and someone makes fun of me for what I say, I recite this one to myself)

John...this is what I want on my tombstone:

Those that be planted in the house of the LORD shall flourish in the courts of our God. Psalm 92:13

And, this is what I want read at my funeral:

Psalm 90:10: The days of our years are threescore years and ten: and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow: for it is soon cut off, and we fly away. ;)

In Christ,
    Laurenda

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

I have several, hard to choose just one, but maybe it would have to be,
    Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen. Hebrews 11:1
    Becasue I've gone through sometimes that would have been easy to give up, except for the Holy Spirit in me giving me strength constantly reminding me there were things I didn't know about that God was doing.

10. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Katie, that is one powerful verse isn't it? I love that one.

I used to have it displayed on the outside of my front door, until some traveling sales man wrote something on it. People without Christ sometimes hurt Christians, for no other reason that that they are rebelling against what deep down might be pricking their spirit.

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Well your explanations make sense. I guess I was thrown by a 5 year old having a 'life verse' and someone giving strangers a 'life verse'. I have verses that mean a lot to me and favorites but I would never have thought to use the term 'life verse'. I looked up that term on the internet and there's a number of 'groups' who write poetry about what is going on in their life...

Thanks!
    Diane

12. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

My 'life verse' is II Timothy 1:7, "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

To me a 'life verse' is something I can personally relate to...and has special meaning in my life. I chose this verse right after I got saved in 1976.

Kate and Diane: You both know why this verse has special meaning to me after reading my posts and praying for me the past couple of weeks. This verse gives me strength to do things I otherwise would not be able to accomplish.

I have too many favorites to list them all. But one of them is Colossians 3:13, "Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any; even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye."

(Forbearance is putting up with and giving in to)

Blessings,
    Sue

13. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Diane, when I dedicated my children when they were little babies, the Pastor chose a verse for each of them. I think this is kind of like what you were talking about in a way.

editted to added the word "were", I think I'm overly destraught, I'm getting to where I can't even write a complete sentence. :rolleyes:

[ April 30, 2003, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Wisdom Seeker ]

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Mine is 1 Corinthians 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

This verse just says so much at once and I couldn't even begin to explain how much it has worked in my life as a reminder, a comfort, a promise, etc..

One day, vision of crystal seen with crystal vision. [​IMG]

Gina