1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Is A Predenominational Christian?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by adisciplinedlearner, Jul 23, 2010.

1. adisciplinedlearner

adisciplinedlearner New Member

I did not ever intend to use it as a title or label. I am opposed to the use of all denominational titles or labels.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Well yes and no. Even if you meet as a group regularly you are organized. Your organization (like his) is not scriptural but it is organized. I am very aware of the heretical house church movement. Which is not to be confused with all people who hold services in a home.

3. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Very good!

4. adisciplinedlearner

There is nothing heretical about the house church movement. If Obama has his way, all of us might soon be worshipping in our homes. This is what Christians did originally.

5. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

You failed to understand what he said! He distinguished between a church that meets in a home versus the house church movement. They are not the same.

6. adisciplinedlearner

I do not agree with this distinction.

7. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

You better study it further before you take a stand. I will ask you one question - Do you know how many different kinds of conflicting religious beliefs are found within this movement?

8. adisciplinedlearner

I am very familiar with the house church movement, and I realize that many house churches are heretical. This does not mean the movement itself is heretical. Of course, Landmark Baptists automatically regard it as heretical, since it has no organic connection to Landmark churches.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Watchman Nee popularized the house church movement. He wrote a very good book, "The Normal Christian Life." But he wrote some other works as well, which exposed some of his heretical beliefs.

His belief on the church is this:
    http://www.watchmannee.org/major-teachings.html

Sound familiar?

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Where do Landmark churches come into this discussion.
    Just because you were one, doesn't mean all Baptists are.
    Quit making sweeping broad generalizations.

11. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

So you beleive it is unscriptural to meet anywhere but in a house? If not, then how is the "house church movement" any more scripural than a church which meets in a house or a temple or in a field or in a purchased building?

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Like it or not you are a denomination in and of yourself. How many followers do you have?
    You probably have your own website.
    What is it?

13. adisciplinedlearner

My convictions are based upon my own study of the New Testament. I studied some of the writings of Watchman Nee and Witness Lee when I was in seminary over 25 years ago, but I have not been influenced by them.

14. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

So you beleive it is unscriptural to meet anywhere but in a house? If not, then how is the "house church movement" any more scripural than a church which meets in a house or a temple or in a field or in a purchased building?

15. adisciplinedlearner

I believe it is totally consistent with the New Testament to meet in a house, but I do not think this should be made a law. I am personally opposed to church houses, which came along later in church history, but I do not condemn those who use them.

16. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

What about in a massive complex like a "temple" in Jerusalem? What about in the open field? Why would the purchase of a house for the church to meet in be any better or worse for you to purchase a house for you to live in or use for a church to meet in?

Do you believe a church should purchase a piano or organ or buy a car - none of these things are mentioned in the New Testament either?

#96 Dr. Walter, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2010
  17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Where did the idea of making it into a law come into being? Who suggested that?
    Don't you believe in soul liberty? How about separation of church and state?