1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is a Primitive Baptist?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sopranette, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

There is one Primitive Baptist church here, and I was curious...what is a Primitive Baptist? Am I correct in saying they use no musical instruments? That appeals to me..but could I easily adjust after being in a Fundamentalist church? Thanks!

love,

Sopranette

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why wouldn't you want to attend a church that uses music?

3. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

No, I like music very much . But I'd like the idea of singing older hymns a capella.

love,

Sopranette

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Aren't you in a church that will allow this? Maybe you can bring this up to your pastor or worship leader? Just a thought.

5. JustPassingThru

Site Supporter

Please don't take offense, but when I hear the term Primitive Baptist I think of the guys on the Geico Auto Insurance commercials. You know ... "So easy a caveman can do it."

6. JustPassingThru

Site Supporter

But seriously, variety in music is a good thing. I love accapella(sp?) hymns! But I love it when the brass is blaring, too!

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:laugh: I've kidded my PB brethern with that also. One thread asked where PB's meet...and I stated "in a cave" :laugh:

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Serious inquiry ?

check out these links:

http://www.pb.org/

http://www.primitivebaptist.org/

9. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Now that is funny! I think I could be a Primitive Baptist pretty easily..... except for their view on missions....... and I maybe could go along with that... I probably just don't know enough about it.

10. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A split among Baptists in the US occured in the early 1800's or thereabouts over the desire of some brethren to do what the established churches (Episcopals, Methodists, etc., and some Baptists) were doing re sending out of missionaries, establishment of Bible schools, Sunday Schools, and so on.

reference: the black rock address

the pitts resolution (today's issues)

Those who split out called those who remained "Primitive" which basically refers to their desire to remain within what they perceive to be the Scriptural way of the New Testament worship: Singing, Praying, and Preaching.

11. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately PB's have been labeled anti-missions, and this is not a correct perception.

We are anti-missionism.

We do not deny that God still sends out people to the mission field to preach the gospel to His people. However, there are certain things we deem unscriptural in most churches, including Primitive Baptists, who do have missionaries.

* Many will not go out without the "proper education", which means Bible school, college, or seminaries;
    * Many churches, not just Baptists, and especially those who are not Baptists, will not send out a missionary unless he/she is "properly fitted" which means, again, Bible college or seminary educated;
    *Those who present themselves to the congregation as having been "called" by God to foreign or even local fields mostly go about on "deputization" or fund-raising;

We believe that if God called you, and you know that God called you, then, by all means, pack up, go, preach, teach, and leave everything else to God, and any support should come from your church, and if there are other churches who want to help you out, well, good. But, GO !

And then we also do not agree with the purpose of missions, as declared by those who go on missions: To get souls saved !

We hold that all who need saving, in the eternal sense, are already saved, redeemed, and paid for.

The purpose of missions, if at all, is to preach the gospel, not get souls eternally saved. Jesus Christ already did that. The gospel never results in the eternal salvation of souls, it is simply the good news to God's elect child among sinners that his God has already secured his salvation.

If God called one to preach the gospel, then God calls that one to where God has His people, prepared and ready to hear the gospel. That was the way it was in Acts, and that is the way it is now, or else God changed, and Jesus Christ is not the same yesterday, today, and forever.

And if God calls that one to where He has people, then God calls that one to where He also has prepared someone to supply his needs.

12. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Why would you select a church based on their use or non-use of musical instruments?

13. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I just started attending the local Primitive Baptist church. It has only been one visit so far, but I was impressed. The issue about not using instruments is probably the only one I don't agree with, but that's incredibly trivial. I appreciate their faithfulness to other Biblical principles that I think many other Baptist churches get wrong - but I'm not going to list them because I don't want to start a fuss.

By the way, I'm not saying it's a VERY small church, but next to the dot on the map, it says "Actual Size Shown".

14. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's the church name ?

lol.....:laugh:

15. reformedbeliever

Thank you for the clarification brother. I'm not so sure I couldn't agree with that. I do think however that the Gospel is the power of God unto salvation. I'm not sure what to think of eternal justification.... the idea that one is justified before they actually receive Christ as their Savior. I still think we have to make that decision... even if the Holy Spirit is the one who gives us that ability.... and that all that the Father gives Him will come to Him. Thanks again brother.

16. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the gospel is the power of God unto salvation. The question is: salvation unto what ?

It cannot be eternal salvation, else we not only have a tension, but an actual break. Christ alone authored, secured, and gave eternal salvation to His people.

However, the elect child of God that a gospel preacher reaches may be in the bondage of other things from which he needs to be delivered thru the preaching, or presenting, of the gospel, read : the Bible.

Look at that Scripture where the phrase you quoted is: "power of God unto salvation". Romans 1:16.

Paul wrote it to the Romans, after he tells them he is ready to preach the gospel to them (the Roman Christians) also, after he greets them and tells them they were called to be saints. And after that phrase he speaks of the ungodliness of men and describes these ungodlinesses. Apparently, he is not referring to eternal salvation, but, doctrinal and practical salvation.

I know how one can struggle with this, Brother. And I will hold anything I want to say in abbeyance in deference to that struggle. I apologize for the above discourse.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Does that mean you agree with it then? :laugh: Just pokin a little fun at how this sentence was constructed.

18. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It just says Primitive Baptist Church on the building, so I'm guessing that's the name. ;)

By the way, I agree with the stance on missions you stated. I have a problem with missions whose goal it is to get people to say the sinner's prayer, and then count up the people who said it and chalk them up as "souls won". Yes, I've witnessed this personally, so I'm not just making that up.

19. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that must be it, then.

In the Philippines I've seen missionaries approach pastors of small, struggling, organized churches, missions, and outreaches in the mountain areas, and convince these to allow them to take pictures of the church building and the church in service, and promise these pastors aid.

A few weeks later, they hand these pastors 500 philippine pesos, which is at today's rates, the equivalent of ten dollars, and at those times' rates, the equivalent of forty dollars. Because their maids and houseboys were natives, I learned they sent the pictures to their supporting churches.

I'm not saying those are the rules rather than the exception.

There's a big Baptist church in the Philippines whose pastor is a regular visitor to the States. This church has about 2,000 regular church attendees and over the years have baptized over 10,000 people, and was started by an American.

It is now run by a Filipino pastor, a former doctor.

The church has over 50 missions locally, and about 10 internationally.

It still receives support and pledges from the States (why ?), not to mention those that are personally handed to the pastor whenever he comes to the States.

Their own tithes and offerings should be more than able to support this pastor, their Bible college, and their missions, but for some reason they act as a sort of "mission board" where all the funds emanate from. Including those that are sent from the States.

We find that unscriptural. The Bible speaks of no boards, or monetary dispensing authorities among brethren.

Like practices have been the cause of issues right now among Primitive Baptists, although I have heard that "corrections" have been implemented by those who went out to "missions" among us.

20. reformedbeliever

Does sound a little like double talk doesn't it? :laugh: That is the answer an Arminian teacher gave me after I further explained a very Calvinist doctrine from our text book. :godisgood: