1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is an Idol?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by psalms109:31, May 26, 2011.

1. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Scrpture

John 5:
    36 “I have testimony weightier than that of John. For the works that the Father has given me to finish—the very works that I am doing—testify that the Father has sent me. 37 And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard his voice nor seen his form, 38 nor does his word dwell in you, for you do not believe the one he sent. 39 You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

Luke 13:34
    “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing.

How do we avoid worshiping words over God even if it is His own word?

I know of a certain group, who believe that worshiping on Sunday and not Saturday is heretic?

#21 psalms109:31, May 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2011
  2. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

What is greater than these?

#22 psalms109:31, May 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2011
  3. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

archaic : teaching, instruction
    2a : something that is taught b : a principle or position or the body of principles in a branch of knowledge or system of belief : dogma c : a principle of law established through past decisions d : a statement of fundamental government policy especially in international relations e : a military principle or set of strategies

The Doctrine of Soteriology is taught therefore it is a doctrine.

1: a brief authoritative formula of religious belief
    2: a set of fundamental beliefs; also : a guiding principle

The doctrinal statement of a church would fall into the creed definition. The over total beliefs on has would be his creed. One concept taught such as Soteriology is a doctrine within that persons creed.

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Gleaned these online..What is a creed?

Answer:
    Creed comes from the Latin "credo" meaning "I believe. A creed is a set of fundamental beliefs usually expressed by a follower of a religion.

In the Christian Church, creeds are not considered the words of god or scripture, but rather are thoughtful answers to various situations and issues.
    Additional Info: Creed is an authoritative or formal statement of religious belief, or confessions of faith. Any statement or system of belief, principles or opinions.

Creed

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A creed is a statement of belief—usually religious belief or faith—often recited as part of a religious service. The word derives from the Latin: credo for "I believe
    http://www.jesus.org/early-church-history/early-churches/what-is-a-creed.html