1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Arminianism? Really?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by robustheologian, Nov 22, 2020.

1. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is really Arminianism? I'm not sure non-Calvinists know. Consistent Arminians acknowledge that human freedom and divine sovereignty are incompatible. This is even admitted in Joseph Dongell and Jerry Walls' book, "Why I'm Not A Calvinist". However, members here seem to not see the logical incompatibility with their definition of human free will and God's sovereignty and omniscience. After all, how could God know a future event if it isn't determined?

Now some will give the response that God knows because he knows what we will choose. But there are several problems with this.
    1. How free is a pre-known choice?
    2. A free choice really means we can choose otherwise, but if so, wouldn't that also mean that God could possibly turn up being wrong about something he was supposed to "know"?

What's even more interesting is when someone claims they're neither an Arminian or Calvinist. I suppose a possible exception would be to call oneself a Molinist, but those who claim this "neutral" standpoint aren't even sure what the tenets of Molinism are and would probably disagree with its compromised definition of God's omniscience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Barry Johnson

Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say Arminianism is essentially ' soft Calvinism ' . Its wrong for all the same reasons Calvinism is wrong . I reject molonism also . All these systems start with a philosophy about the nature of free will instead of scripture .

#2 Barry Johnson, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  3. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinists think Armianism is the opposite of Calvinsm when its really stemming from the same faulty ' Agustine ' pot .

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When your entire theological paradigm is wrapped up in Calvinist vs. Arminian then your view is warped and excessively narrow. But Im sure it makes you comfortable.

5. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would also say that in order for any Christian to grow, they need to learn to a certain degree theses system s as it will arm them with a knowledge on how to discern and avoid them . Until a believer learns the issues with Calvinism and Armianism to one degree or another will fall prey to them at some point as they both have permeated into most traditions and denominations . Until they have let go of either system they will not grow in understanding the scriptures. I contend that if you hold to one or the other system you do not know your bible as you ought . The solution is to drop them completely and read the bible without them .

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ummm....no ones growth is dependent on knowing either system. Both are mans attempt to describe their understanding of scripture but neither of them are God breathed.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Robert Picirilli offered a good argument for Arminianism, but this inconsistency was obvious in his works as well.

Edwards argued from a standpoint of omniscience (rather than decree). And he was right.

The issue boils down to whether or not God is omniscient. If an omniscient God creates then everything has to be predestined. If even one contingent outcome was not predestined then God is not omniscient.

8. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your theology is not very robust. An Arminian is an Arminian, not simply a non-Calvinist. You generalize too far. True Arminianism is in perfect agreement with the absolute sovereignty of God.

9. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Technically?
    I see actual "Arminianism" as being what some here on the BB have identified it as...

What was strictly contained in the Five Articles of the Remonstrants in 1610, which was a reply to the Belgic Confession of 1561.
    It was a "systematized" summary of how Jakob Hermanzoon's ( Jacob Arminius' ) followers saw salvation being accomplished, from the Scriptures.
    I'm not sure that many who consider themselves "non-Calvinists" even give the doctrines of Scripture much thought past what they have been taught in the churches...
    I know that until I was about 37, neither did I.

I simply took what was taught from the pulpit as having authority,
    and didn't really question much of it until later on when I started actually studying my Bible for myself.

To me, most professing Christians would rather leave it to the "theologians" to wrestle with.
    But for those that do dig into the differences, I see them defining some things much the same as so-called "Calvinists" in some areas...
    And other things radically different.

For an example of what is defined differently, some would bring up what Scriptural "foreknowledge" means to them versus what it means to the "Calvinist"...
    To one it is merely informational, and to the other it's an intimate knowing expressed in passages like Jeremiah 1:5, Psalms 139 and Ephesians 2:1-10.

#9 Dave G, Nov 23, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.
    It is what I was taught as a child and into my 20's and 30's...

Basically put, the idea was that God's sovereignty never steps on or violates man's free will.
    I'm not sure who Joseph Dongell is, but I do know that Jerry Walls is a "Wesleyan" who believes and teaches loss of salvation.
    I've seen some of his videos on YouTube.

I also have a good idea why he is not a "Calvinist"...
    Because when he reads the Scriptures for himself, that's what he sees;
    Basically what John Wesley taught.

As for "logic", I'm very reluctant to deal in terms like that.
    I see the Lord actively determining many things, and I see Him passively-but-with-full-knowledge-and-control-of allowing many things.

To me, it all falls very neatly into His plans to work all things after the counsel of His own will.
    I've seen that among many professing Christians over the years, including myself.;)

In fact, I was a member of two churches and attended a Christian school that all led me to believe that one is an "Arminian" if one held to loss of salvation.
    The other 4 "points" of what some call "modern Arminianism" were never brought up and I never asked...
    As I felt ( and was never discouraged from feeling this way ) that one should not question the church's teachings if one is a "layperson".:Unsure

As an example of the above, I once asked a former pastor of mine about loss of salvation...
    He replied, "that's Arminianism";

Later on I found that there were 4 more doctrinally summarized points that self-professed "Arminians" hold to, that he basically agreed with.
    They are listed here:

An Outline of the FACTS of Arminianism vs. The TULIP of Calvinism

#10 Dave G, Nov 23, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps...
    But speaking for myself, I've never looked too far into Roman Catholic "Molinism" except in a few instances.
    Once I saw it's uncanny similarities to "Wesleyanism", I basically knew what I was looking at without really needing to look any farther.

However, having done a bit of digging into it, I do know that it is a system of doctrine developed by Louis de Molina...
    A Spanish Jesuit priest who was, apparently, very adamant about man's will being free to choose God.

#11 Dave G, Nov 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've made your theological position "clear" before. So the irony of you calling someone "comfortable with having a warped and excessively narrow view" is rich. :Laugh

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean true Arminianism is in perfect agreement with the Arminian view of God's absolute sovereignty.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly...I still can't get how people haven't gotten this. It's really basic logic...but looking at Reynolds and Revmitchell's response, this basic logic really isn't that common lol. While I disagree, I can respect Arminians who at least see this logical inconsistency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not say warped.

16. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I mean exactly what I said.

17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God not required to directly cause and determine all that happens in order to still be sovereign!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me it hinges on how one is elected, does God directly determining that, or by Him using His foreknowledge and us making the "right choice"?

19. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So basically, is God ultimately the initiator of our faith or us? Hmmm...Hebrews 12:2

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that is a deciding factor, does the Lord grant to His own saving faith, or does he make us one of His own when we exercise our own faith?

• Useful Useful x 1