1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Baptism by Full Immersion?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Marco, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Marco

Marco Guest

Does this mean your entire body is submerged under water? Do you have to wear certain clothes? I'm just wondering if any part of your body is exposed to the public - like do you wear see through type material that can show off your body when wet...or can you wear anything during the baptism? How do you dry off during the ceremony? Strange questions perhaps, but just curious.

~Marco

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, your entire body is submerged, but your clothing can vary. Many churches provide robes for baptism, so you don't have to get your normal clothes wet. Even these robes, though, aren't required. It's up to the church. Generally churches avoid "showing off" the body of those being baptized.

As for drying off, usually immediately after the baptism, you go into a changing room of some sort to dry off and to change back into normal clothing.

All of it depends on the location of baptism and church policy. My church does not have a baptistery, so I baptized someone last week in a pool at the house of one of the church members. We wore normal clothes.

3. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Dear Bro. Marco,
    I think it may be helpful to you to add a site or two to your favorites list.
    e-sword.com
    biblecentre.org
    These sites are free and there is much useful information there for you.There are Bible dictionaries,encyclopedias,commentaries,concordances,lexicons,and many other helps.
    When you go into biblecentre.org it might be a good idea for you to read"Great Bible Doctrines"by Evans. That is considered by many to be a standard introductory book on Bible doctrine.Knowing sound Bible doctrine will help you be able to know and recognize when you are in a Biblical fellowship of believers. Some churches teach false doctrines and you want to stay away from those.I hope this helps.

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Excuse me I abbreviated the books title.The title is,"The Great Doctrines of the Bible" by Evans.

5. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good information here. We have navy blue non-see-through robes for baptismal candidates in our church.

Baptist tradition usually immerses once.

Sorry to confuse you but Mennonites and other Anabaptists (Amish, Hutterites, Bretheren) as well as Eastern Orthodox tradition usually immerse three times, once for each member of the Trinity (God, Jesus, Holy Spirit).

6. baptistk

baptistk New Member

Not mennonites and anabaptists, or at least not the groups I'm familiar with. They don't even immerse but rather use the pouring method.

7. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not mennonites and anabaptists, or at least not the groups I'm familiar with. They don't even immerse but rather use the pouring method. </font>[/QUOTE]I think you are correct. It appears to be the Mennonite Bretheren that practice triple immersion while Mennonites, Amish and Hutterites usually use the practice of pouring/sprinkling. Of course all Anabaptists subscribe to believer's baptism, regardless of mode, one of the defining characteristics of Anabaptism. Thanks for the correction.

I believe EOC, RCC and Anglicans practice triple immersion when that mode is chosen.

8. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Marco asked:

Does this mean your entire body is submerged under water?

Yes. Jesus was buried, and baptism symbolizes his burial.

Do you have to wear certain clothes? I'm just wondering if any part of your body is exposed to the public - like do you wear see through type material that can show off your body when wet...or can you wear anything during the baptism?

Depends on your church. For my part, I was baptized outside, in the middle of summer, in a lake, so I was wearing a bathing suit. The church I attend now provides white robes, and I assume candidates wear something suitable underneath.

If you're worried about modesty, bring some dark-coloured clothes you don't mind getting wet, or your bathing suit to wear under the robe. (Check with the church to see what advice they can give you, too.) Don't forget to bring a change.

How do you dry off during the ceremony?

There is probably a room nearby that you can change in. In my church, the baptistry is flanked by offices, so they just put up some curtains and use those - one for men, one for women.

9. bapmom

bapmom New Member

and usually, Marco, its about a 3 minute ceremony....maybe not even that long....so you will not be standing there wet and shivering while a long ceremony goes on around you.

10. Glory-to-God

Glory-to-God Guest

Greek-English Lexicon Baptism taken from Greek word baptizo - to dip, immerse.

Classic Greek-English Dictionary, by Pollet Greek word baptizo means to dip under.

Greek-English Dictionary, by Divry's Greek word baptizo - to immerse.

To symbolize Jesus....Death ~ Burial ~ and Resurrection.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

For the most part, yes.

That's up to you and your church/fellowship.

I'm probably biased. I got baptized in the ocean, wearing swim trunks and a tank shirt.

12. Glory-to-God

Glory-to-God Guest

I was baptized in a lake Buuurrrrr

13. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Every church handles it slightly differently.

If you are baptized in a building you'll probably enter from side of the Baptistry, be completely submerged, and exit to a changing room instantly.

If you are baptized in a river, and there is a long line, you might be there awhile.

Talk to your Pastor. There are no wrong questions.