1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Biblical Inerrancy?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JustChristian, Jun 3, 2008.

?
  1. No current Bible translation contains any errors

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. Current Bible translations are inerrant in message but contain some factural errors

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. The original manuscripts of the Bible were inerrant but errors were introduced in translation

34 vote(s)
    72.3%
  4. The original manuscripts of the Bible were inerrant in message but contained some factual errors

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  5. There are no differences between different versions of the Bible

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Only the King James translation of the Bible is without error

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  7. Only the King James translation is inerrant in message but it does contain factural errors

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

2. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

It means that everything in the Bible is accurately recorded--not that everything is true in it. Satan's lies are not true. Also, Paul was fond of expressing his own opinions on things and usually said that it was just that--his opinion and preference. I think we have to be careful what we take as gospel and build a religion around it. The gospel of Christ's death, burial, and resurrection is all true,a nd many other things. Some of it is symbolic--like trees and floods clapping their hands. I've never seen that happen yet.

3. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

IMHO You have a very precarious position on the scripture.

Bartimaeus

4. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No no no no. I said the originals are not in existance (not extant!). They were destroyed long ago. They were copied. The first copies were destroyed long ago. They were copied again. Those were destroyed long ago. Eventually, the copies in Jesus' day (for the OT) were saved by a group of Jews who lived in Qumran and those were lost (to be clear lost until 1948). But copies kept being made. All modern English translated bibles are translated from copied texts. The Qumran find in 1948 allows us to compare our copies to the copies made 2,000 years ago (closer to the originals than ours but still many years after them). The fact that there was no significant change leads us to believe that the copies 2,000 years ago (and by logic ours) are faithfully transmitted from the originals which NO LONGER EXIST. :BangHead:

5. PK

PK New Member

6. PK

PK New Member

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Ok, I will answer:
    There is no promise that you written words will be around next week much less in 100 years or even 2000 years.
    To compare that text with the preservation of God's word just doesn't fit the context.
    God's Word however HAS been preserved. We may not have a Xerox copy of the original manuscripts but God has not only providentially preserved His Word in many centuries but also many languages throughout the earth as well. NONE of God's Words have been lost in translation. We may read the Bible in English but all of God's words are preserved.
    Paul did not write the book of Romans in 16th century English.

Now since, I have answered your question, please answer a couple of mine:

1. If you insist on a 100% perfect and literal translation, which edition of the KJV contains 100% word for word THE Word of God?
    There have been many revisions of the KJV and I highly doubt you use the 1611.

2. By what authority is the KJV "The Bible" and other translations are not, such as the Geneva Bible, the ASV, the NKJV and the NASB et al?

3. What was THE Bible in the years prior to 1611 in England and at what exact time did the KJV become "The Bible"

I have answered your question now please answer mine.

Thanks.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

9. PK

PK New Member

Dale,
    I will answer your questions but first I must deal with your answers to mine.

#129 PK, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  10. PK

PK New Member

11. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Are you arguing that since God faithfully records everything we say that therefore the Bible must be inerrant because he would certainly preserve his own words? Or, are you lamenting that everything we say is recorded exactly but that the word of God is not preserved without error? One is an argument for inerrancy and the other is a lament because there is no inerrancy.

12. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Simply saying......hopeful for understanding........
    God is keeping Record. He is able to bring back every word that I ever spoke and cause it to be heard again. How He will do it...I know not. Will he do it? He will or He is not God. He will be a liar.

Mt. 12:
    36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

Here it is again. I am sure it only means ideas and thoughts. It really doesn't mean every word.

Now comes the point. IF God can keep every word of mine.......why hasn't He kept every word of His?

Bartimaeus

13. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Which automatically leads into another issue. If God cannot or has not preserved His every word, then.....

has He preserved His accounting of this?

I Pet 4:
    5 Who shall give ACCOUNT to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.

God has not kept an accounting of every deed done down through the ages of every man so that he can call every man into accounting. He has only kept a general idea and consensus. Oh.....may we go another step further....He has not kept a blow by blow accounting of every nation so that at the judgement of nations He will only bring forth a relative idea of their wrongs and deceitful and pernicious activities throughout the ages. (Riiiiiiiight)

Consistency is important.

Bartimaeus

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

This is a strawman.
    You are dodging the real issues of the thread and making up your own strawmen to swat down.

Who said God has not preserved his word? Certainly not me!
    Yes, it is important God holding us accountable for our actions is a total rabbit trail from the issue at hand.

You say others have not answered questions but please answer me this:

1. If you insist on a 100% perfect and literal translation, which edition of the KJV contains 100% word for word THE Word of God?

2. By what authority is the KJV "The Bible" and other translations are not, such as the Geneva Bible, the ASV, the NKJV and the NASB et al?

3. What was THE Bible in the years prior to 1611 in England and at what exact time did the KJV become "The Bible"

I will remind you of your own words from the last page that have been preserved for few days now :)

So, I will admonish you to take your own advice and answer my questions.

#134 Dale-c, Jun 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2008
  15. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I assume that you plan to respond to my questions later.
    Meanwhile I will respond to a couple of points you made.

This has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

I see nothing at all lost here. The only thing missing is actually missing from the KJV in the word works or deeds. But the meaning is conveyed either way.

How do you know the KJV has the proper rendering here an not the ESV? By what authority do you make the KJV the standard?
    You are working off of a presupposition that the KJV is THE standard, a presupposition than the very translators would have never taken themselves.

Showing a textual variation in no way proves EITHER text is proper or in proper.
    The KJV is nothing more than a translation of the Bible just as the NASB etc are.

16. PK

PK New Member

Please show me scripture that says anything good about my righteousness as a man and that is achieved through my deeds. Please do not use a catholic bible to prove your point.

17. PK

PK New Member

I find it very interesting that you would say that doctrine is not important.

18. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I find KJV people interesting. As baptist go they are sola scriptura. However, It seems that KJO people are not very aware of how the bible was put together, became canonized, and was transmitted down through the ages. It seems that they are regurgitating other teachings without delving into the matter themselves. Which if you're sola scriptura and the scriptures alone are authoriative then you would thing an indepth study of all aspects of scripture from initiation to the writen word would be studied. Just an observation.

19. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Why should I show you this? I am a calvinist. I do not believe man has any good in and of himself. Furthermore, what does that have to do with this discussion.
    There are plenty of debates on here on the topic of calvinism and we do not need to discuss it here.

When did I ever say doctrine was not important? You make no sense and are not dealing with the issues at hand.

You imply that I said doctrine is not important when I have never said that. That is false.
    You said you would answer my questions but you did not. You are under no obligation to post here or answer any of my question, but if you say you will, I would like to think that you would keep your word.

I will ask them again:

20. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Works can't save you but they sure are an expression of your salvation (good calvinist thought) With out it a question of personal salvation should come up.