1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Biblical separation?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by IfbReformer, Feb 26, 2005.

1. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

I know this topic gets talked about directly or indirectly alot.

But it is something that needs to be on the front of our minds if we are to serve our Lord in a right way.

Some Christians think God wants us to be different just to be different. Other Christians believe God wants us to be different in that we do not do the evil things or practices of the world - that is how we are different, this is how we stand out from the world.

I believe in the latter approach.

What do you think?

IFBReformer
    http://www.ifbreformation.org

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Some of God's commands to the OT Israelites were about being different simply for the sake of being different (e.g., not cutting the corners of your beard, not boiling a kid in its mothers milk).

Evil practices are a second reason for separation.

Holiness and purity is hte ultimate reason.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

"Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple." - Rom. 16:17,18

"But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain. A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject; Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself." - Titus 3:9-11

'And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed. Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother." - 2 Thes. 3:14-15

"Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us." - 2 Thes. 3:6

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty. " - 2 Cor. 6:14-18

"I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed." - Gal. 1:6-9

"For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward. Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds." - 2 John 7-11

"This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away." - 2 Tim. 3:1-5

"Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world." - 1 John 4:1-3

"For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision: Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake. One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies. This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith;" - Tit. 1:10-13

"For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. Be not ye therefore partakers with them..." - Eph. 5:5-7

"And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. " - Eph. 5:11

A Biblical Separatist is a Christian who withdraws from or will not worship or socialize with people or churches that advocates teachings or practices which are contrary to the Bible.

4. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

Yes some of God's commands were simply to make the Jews different than the nations around them - but should we invent our own new rules today to seperate ourselves in a way not told us in the New Testament. Ours is a renewal of our mind, a circumcision of the heart.

Many Christians think part of being holy means being old fashion, like they are in time freeze of the 1950s. I don't think that what God wants us to do.

IFBReformer

5. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

dianetavegia,

Excellant scriptural representation - now apply those scriptures to these practical issues(make sure to be consistant):

1.Going to Movie theater
    2.Renting Movie from Video Store
    3.Christian Contemporary Music
    4.Smoking
    5.Drinking Alchohal
    6.Dancing(Square, Ballroom or distinguish)
    7.Women wearing pants

IFBReformer

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

1.Going to Movie theater
    I've seen one movie in 10 years other than Toy Story II and another kids show. I think it was a Spy Kids??? We have T.V. Guardian on our television and don't watch prime time t.v. before our 10 year old is in bed. Hubby and I are very careful what we watch.

2.Renting Movie from Video Store
    We do not rent movies.

3.Christian Contemporary Music
    I like SOME new praise music. I am NOT IFB.

4.Smoking
    NEVER had one in my mouth and think it's a sin.

5.Drinking Alchohol
    You've not SEEN what I say about this? I've got a slew of verses anti drinking too! No~ I will not cook with wine, etc. IF we could afford to eat out, we WOULD have to eat in a place that serves 'beer' since there are no places in this tiny area that do not serve beer or wine. Think Olive Garden, etc.

6.Dancing {Square, Ballroom or distinguish)
    Hubby and I used to go dancing. We haven't in about 20 years tho. We won quite a few dance contests back then tho. What the young people do today is not dancing. It's sex to music. We won't watch cheerleaders or halftime shows.

7.Women wearing pants
    I DO wear pants and think they can be more modest than dresses. I also have short hair, wear makeup and don't see what this has to do with those verses.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AGAIN... I am NOT a fundamentalist so our views will be vastly different.

I am friends with people who go to the movies. I don't know what they go see but my friends are ALL from our church.

I assume I am friends with people who rent movies at Blockbuster. I do not know what they rent but my friends are ALL Christians.

Many of our church members love the more modern praise music. I'm not positive what you mean by CCM because there's so many different styles of the modern music. I'm not aware of what people listen to in their own cars. I prefer the Gaither's and Southern Gospel. [​IMG] Our church DOES have new groups for the young people on Sunday nights and concerts. We don't care for it and don't attend. Personal Taste Only, tho.

I don't socialize with anyone who smokes or drinks unless they do it privately and it's not known in our church.

All my friends wear pants, including all of our pastor's wives. We have 5 pastors. One is not married. We even wear them to church. On Sunday nights and Wednesday nights, we wear jeans if we want.

I would never stay in a church that allowed women deacons, divorced deacons, divorced pastor's, etc. I would not attend a class where a woman taught and men were present.

I think you're picking at straws with some of your instances. I see nothing in those verses that would imply we should avoid a woman in modest pants. Much better looking that a 400 lb woman in culotes hiked up in the back!

7. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

dianetavegia,

I was not trying to pick on you, just wanted to see where you were in some areas of personal seperation.

I agree with you for the most part, I go to shows occasionally(when there is something I can see) and we do rent movies regularly(some for the kids, some for us) but always try to make sure they will ok to watch.

Last night we rented a movie with my sister-in-law over, who is not a believer, and we started to watch this movie and they had some things right in the first minute of the movie that we thought were wrong and turned it off. She was suprised and asked why, and it was a good opportunity for us to share our faith with her.

But we are not going to stop renting movies because some are bad, we just do are best to make the best judgment we can before we rent it and even afterwards if it is bad we turn it off.

Thanks for the input.

IFBReformer

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

We don't rent movies because our Blockbuster has booklets when you come in the outer doors for gay and lesbians in Atlanta and the surrounding area looking for lovers. I posted last year about how one photo on the front showed two men in bed together and a local church child picked it up and showed it to her parents. The booklets are right at eye level for children. Blockbuster refused to make them remove them even tho we had quite a protest in our community.

We buy some movies when they go on sale if we've heard they're worth watching over and over. We don't go to movies that aren't for the whole family and hubby will take Nick while I stay home so we can save the extra money. We recently bought 'The Village'.

Your website is very good and has so many great thoughts. I took time to read some and saved it to read more later. [​IMG]