1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is calvinism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Jan 21, 2007.

1. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

How about unconscious selfishness? Ever tried to take candy away from a baby? They will become very angry..... and that is not learned. They are selfish when they are born. Its human fallen nature.

2. reformedbeliever

How about the sin of falling short of the glory (perfection) of God. Is any baby perfect? If they die.... they are not perfect.

3. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Law, sin

Where there is no law there is no sin. I didn't know that murder was a sin until the law came

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

So you don't think all means all?

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, all that have sinned (past tense). What sin has the babies that are aborted today commited..."unconscious selfishness"?

#85 webdog, Jan 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2007
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's not about being perfect...are they sinners? The wages (payment) of sin is death. What is sin, and how is one counted as being a sinner?

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

"unconscious selfishness" is an oxymoron. It's like "unconscious murder". To be found guilty, it has to be a conscious act.

8. reformedbeliever

No, it is about being perfect. No one can. We all miss the mark... however slightly...... even babies.

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Um, didn't you add a word there? The Bible doesn't say "All that have sinned." It says, "All have sinned." On what basis do you omit babies from "all"? Doesn't that leave you with less than "all"?

10. reformedbeliever

Do you suck air? That is an unconscious act of self preservation. It is an automatic act. If there was only enough air for one person and there were two of you in a room... would you continue to breathe? Or would you stop breathing so the other could live? You will become unconscious, and start breathing.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Huh? Breathing is not a sin. What are you trying to say?

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

According to Scripture, what sin has a baby committed? What is sin? I know it's not about being perfect, but it sure is about being a sinner.

#92 webdog, Jan 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2007
  13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I didn't add a word to the text, I was clarifying who the "all" are. They are thos who have sinned. The two verses preceding 3:23 show who the "all" are. The "all" who have sinned is in contrast to the "all" who believe. Babies don't believe.

Rom 3:20 For no flesh will be justified in His sight by the works of the law, for through the law comes the knowledge of sin.
    Rom 3:21 But now, apart from the law, God's righteousness has been revealed--attested by the Law and the Prophets
    Rom 3:22 --that is, God's righteousness through faith in Jesus Christ, to all who believe, since there is no distinction.
    Rom 3:23 For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

14. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

As I pointed out, the passage does not say that "all" are "those who have sinned." In the passage, the "all" is "both Jew and Greek" (v. 9) and Paul is pointed out that all, both Jew and Greek, have sinned.

He is not saying "all that have sinned have fallen short." He is saying "all have sinned and fallen short."

The "all" is not qualified by "those who have sinned."

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Web;
    You need to start holding your breath all you can. Don't hold it too long but at least wait until you start to turn blue. :)

16. skypair

skypair Active Member

hello........

17. skypair

skypair Active Member

:thumbsup:

Do you believe there is an "unpardonable sin?" There is! It is the sin of rejecting the Spirit Who is the ONLY one who can testify of God but He does so to EVERYONE, Larry. EVERYONE is "without excuse."

Paid and made available.

Salvation is available for ALL since ALL sins were paid for. Those who BELIEVE are the only ones who avail themselves of it though.

God sends people to hell whose sins are paid for, Larry. It is their UNBELIEF that Christ can't pay for. At the GWT, God will judge GOOD works of the lost so as to make their suffering less in the eternity. Didncha evey wonder how God was going to make hell worse for some?

Here's the thing -- you can't be anyone's child until you are commmitted to them like believers are committed to God! Your delineation is, thereby, flawed.

skypair

18. skypair

skypair Active Member

Go ahead with your "ordo salutis, pls.

You're explicating the difference between justification + sanctification on the one hand and glorification on the other, correct? I am talking about the first

So Calvin says. And I admit that "good" is an adjective of the last soil. But Calvin assumes that the second 2 seeds aren't saved, too. Yet the parable says that those seeds sprouted as well! So what is the seed and what is the plant?

Not so. There is a seed and it germinates into a plant. The seed is the Holy Spirit which is "planted" first. Then the soils yield a plants. Life taken from the soil and the seed combine to create the plant.

Maybe Calvin should have made them. I'm not saying Calvin is complete -- I'm saying SCRIPTURE is complete. I don't see that we believe the same exact thing. Do you?

I mean, that parable of the sower describe to us as well the first 4 dispensations. I'm sure you haven't considered that yet, have you? And yet, that being considered, maybe there is a whole 'nother reason for the parable of the sower.

skypair

#98 skypair, Jan 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2007
  19. skypair

skypair Active Member

Whoa, reformo! Back off. That's the "survival instinct" -- "want" innocently misconstrued to be "survival necessity." We all know how it looks but wome of us are not clear on the baby's motives, are we. Is survival a sin??

skypair

20. skypair

skypair Active Member

If you are going to keep giving the verse, then give it all. Rom 3:23 -- "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;" Infants have not sinned BUT they come short of God's glory, for sure.

Best to center your argument on other verses where you don't have to leave part of the verse out. :D

skypair