1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is DeLay's crime?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by church mouse guy, Sep 29, 2005.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reading the indictment, I don't see what DeLay did wrong. All he did was accept contributions and forward them to the National Party, right? The fact that the National Party supported Texas candidates is just the sort of thing that a national party does.

2. OCC

OCC Guest

But is it right or wrong...what the national party just does? I don't know.

You guys do have certain laws in force during elections don't you? Is what he did against the law or not?

3. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. OCC

OCC Guest

I'll go check it out.

5. OCC

OCC Guest

It looks like the crime was that the contribution was given by a corporation and the timing of the contribution. Is it against the law to do that? I don't want to go searching throughout your criminal code and it didn't quote the law, it only gave the reference. So if it's against the law, then justice was done wasn't it? If it is not against the law then this would be a huge injustice.

6. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't blame you for not wanting to spend time on this. I think that DeLay is charged with sort of an ex post facto thing. He took up donations and forwarded them to the National Party. The National Party later decided to support some local candidate. That is the way that I understand it but I really don't know what they are talking about. I don't see how Texas law could cover what the National Party did. I truly don't understand it.

7. OCC

OCC Guest

Yeah it is too complicated for me. Maybe justice was done, but there is a chance that it wasn't. Man I hope I can go to law school some day. [​IMG]

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the problem was that the contribution came from a corporation and that it was given within 60 days of the election, which is against the law in Texas.

There is no doubt it is going to be hard to prove conspiracy, it always is! But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be pursued.

I am happy for the indictment for the simple reason that DeLay is now out of control. The monolithic voice of the Republican party was getting hard to take, DeLay was a big reason for that.

It is time that the Republicans started acting like it and cut spending, shrink the size of government and get rid of the the stupid Patriot Act.

9. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Texas state law forbids the corporations from giving over a certain amount to state politicians within 60 days of an election. Delay allegedly circumvented the law by fowarding the contributions his PAC collected to the RNC which, in turn, forwarded a too similar amount to the Texas politicians from the same bank account.

Whether or not he'll be convicted remains to be seen.

What goes around, comes around.

10. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

If the indictment is correct (and I'm sure if they are going after Tom DeLay they made sure it was) he is very guilty.

The check apparently went with a note listing candidates and the amounts for each candidate.

11. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see that the GOP is hurt except that there will be some confusion for a short period of time. The Patriot Act is supported by both parties and both parties have wanted it to be stronger so I don't see that it will be dismantled.

I don't see that the GOP will cut spending either. Congressmen have drawn the map so that most of them have safe seats with little or no opposition on election day. In effect Congress has been gerrymandered into rotten boroughs. What needs to be done is to make Congressional districts as square as possible so that each district has 1/435th of the population and is as boxy looking as possible.

We don't get much news about DeLay here. We hear more about Mike Pence, who is heading up a conservative coalition of some kind.

12. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Had a Democrat done this, nobody would have thought about indicting him. The Democrats can do no wrong, the Republicans are guilty until proven innocent.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indictments are easy to get in Texas.

The charge is "conspiracy", the easiest of all indictments to get, but the hardest to prove in court.

14. OCC

OCC Guest

Had a Democrat done this, nobody would have thought about indicting him. The Democrats can do no wrong, the Republicans are guilty until proven innocent. </font>[/QUOTE]Got proof? It sounds a little like crying too. Which we all know that Republicans accuse Democrats of doing right? :D

15. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Do you think that Delay did not do what he is charged with doing or do you think he did but it doesn't matter?

That's not a good thing.

Well, at least it is a conspiracy for something that was actually done and not something they merely discussed doing. I mean, there should be actual evidence, such as an audit trail. If there is not, then the case should be dismissed.

16. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

On NPR this morning, one of the people that was interviewed noted that the DA, Ronnie Earl (I think that's the name), has gone after both Republicans and Democrats in his time. DeLay's claim that the DA is going after him because he's Republican is typical partisan nonsense from the accused. Bill Clinton mastered this tactic, particularly with Ken Star.

What I found interesting was the comment that Earl goes after Republicans and Democrats both, depending on who's in power. I wonder if that old chestnut about "power corrupts" applies in this case? DeLay has been at the forefront ever since the Republicans took the House in 1994. Maybe he had too much power for too long and started thinking he was above the law. I think we've seen the last of Tom DeLay in a position of power.

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jim Wright.

</font>[/QUOTE]I don't remember Jim Wright being indicted for anything. :confused:

18. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Jim Wright.

</font>[/QUOTE]I don't remember Jim Wright being indicted for anything. :confused:
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yes, you're right.

He lost his Speakership, but was not even indicted.

(You replied while I was still editing - I often rethink & doublecheck, which would be better done before hitting the "add reply" button. Oh, well.)

19. OCC

OCC Guest

"What I found interesting was the comment that Earl goes after Republicans and Democrats both, depending on who's in power."

He would be like me. I am against whomever is in power at the present time due to the fact that yes, power corrupts. To be in opposition holds the government accountable. I think most people SHOULD be against whomever is in power but that's my opinion.

20. Daisy

Daisy New Member

To some extent.

Going back to Jim Wright, anyone who assumes the Speaker of the House role might as well just paint a big, red bull's eye on his back.