1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Dressing Like the World?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by InTheLight, Aug 12, 2011.

1. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Oh my yes--that takes me back!

My home ec teacher (remember home ec?) made us put the darts in our blouses "tight enough to show you are young women and loose enough to show you are young ladies."

2. milby

milby Member

I think one should "dress up" when they go to church out of reverence to the Lord. Whatever "dress up" means to each individual. In other words you should show reverence and respect for God in all ways including how you dress.

We are teaching our young people that you can chomp your bubble gum, with your hat and baggy pants on just like you are when you are going to Walmart. If you are truly going to church to worship our Holy God, then act like it.

3. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If wearing Wrangler Carpenter jeans/jean shorts and a T or polo shirt is dressing like the world, then I dress like the world 7 days a week.

4. milby

milby Member

Yep your dressing like the world there TC. Aren't christians supposed to be set apart? Dress up a little next sunday just for the heck of it. Some kid might see the difference and think hmm maybe God is someone to go the extra mile for.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't know but suits mean to me lawyers or executives. I'd much rather have a pastor who looks like those in his community. That would mean Wranglers for someone in that kind of community, khakis and polos here on Long Island and maybe even fip flops and a Hawiian shirt for those in beach communities.

6. milby

milby Member

I kindly disagree. I'm a police officer and as much as I would like to wear flip flops while working, I have to wear a uniform. If you are a pastor I don't think you should dress like you are going to Walmart while you are behind the pulpit. Do you....really?

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Police officer ≠ pastor. And do you cease being a police officer when you take off your uniform?

8. milby

milby Member

No. And I'm not saying you should wear your "uniform" at all times. But when you are behind the pulpit..yes.

9. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good reply!

10. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

There are those here that would say "But wearing a uniform is so out of date - you can wear whatever you like, it's all good......"

Compromise and Laissez-faire come to mind.

( Oh, by the way, God knows where you are, but you need to tell your dispatcher!) :tongue3:

11. milby

milby Member

Yea I know. There are those that say there are no moral absolutes any more too. I kindly disagree with that also.

12. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The apostles did not have a uniform, and they did quite well in their street clothes. The clothes do not make the man, as far as Scripture is concerned.

I'm leaving the mulberry bush now.

13. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It mighty nice of you to give me permission to go out and buy new clothes. However, I will have to pass because I cannot afford to. I have more important things to do with what I make than to spend it on myself. Thanks anyway. :love2:

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You wear what is appropriate for the occasion. I do not think a pastor in a suit and dress shoes is any better than the pastor in a polo and khakis. I also don' think it appropriate for a doctor to wear a suit in the operating room or for a lifeguard to wear one at the beach. In my culture, suits are for lawyers and the upper management. The general man doesn't wear them or trust those who do.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Povide biblical support that being "set apart" has to do with how one dresses.

Maybe that little kid will think "hmm, I don't own a suit so God can't be happy with me"

16. milby

milby Member

Ok point taken. Do me a favor and at least take off the hat though, ok?:)

I didn't say anyone needs to wear a suit and tie, I just think one should make an effort to look his/her best for the Lord if they can.

I see kids and their parents all the time coming to church dressed like it was an after thought on their way to wal-mart, and it kinda bothers me.

I'm talking about church members here now who are saved and regularly attend church. Once one is saved there should be an obvious difference about them in every way including how they dress, and I know you know what I'm talking about there.

Accepting Jesus as your saviour is not just something you add to your life. It is a life changing experience.

17. milby

milby Member

We agree here. You wear what is appropriate for the occasion. I don't think baggy pants with your underwear showing, or tight shorts and a tube top with your boobs hanging out is appropriate for church. That is what the kids are wearing because they are lacking good role models to teach them that they should dress nice when they go to church.

When the youth pastor has a mohawk and...well never mind. Just for the record this is a Baptist board isn't it.:) Thats a joke by the way, so don't jump me for that.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, I'd rather have a person come to church dressed like that than to not come. Let God work on them - not some rules. For my family, we have rules as to what the kids cannot wear but I'm not about to expect everyone to follow them - just my family. Yes, I believe modesty should be a bit more of a standard but I'd not make it an issue of going to church but instead to respect ourselves and to honor each other - not that you have to dress a certain way to be allowed in church.

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I have never seen "baggy pants with your underwear showing, or tight shorts and a tube top with your boobs hanging out" in any of the churches that I have visited recently. I have seen a few men and women wearing shorts. Not one had a tube top on. The people in the two large churches I have been to recently were dressed cleanly and neatly even though very few of the women were wearing dresses and very few of the men were wearing a suit or a tie.

Let's face it- for thousands of years people dressed the same way for church as they did in the streets, to shop or to go to the office. It has not been until perhaps the last 150 years that people started "dressing up" for church. It has become a tradition of men, not supported by Scripture.

There's nothing wrong with dressing up if you want to (unless you do it out of pride), and I certainly will not look down my nose at you if you do. But I someone else chooses not to dress up, Scripture demands that we not look down on them- James 2.

20. milby

milby Member

As I said above I'm talking about church members here who are saved and regularly attend church. I welcome all but once one is saved there should be an obvious difference about them in every way including how they dress.