1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is eternal life?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Protestant, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Protestant

Protestant Well-Known Member

Excellent question. I'll let the Apostle Paul answer:

"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." (Romans 10:14-17)

The miracle healings by Jesus proved it is God alone who opens deaf ears and blind eyes. By that same mighty power God gives spiritual ears to hear and spiritual eyes to see.....all according to His good pleasure. Our mission is to plant and/or water, but it is God who gives the increase.

"For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:

11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it." (Isaiah 55:10-11)

2. Protestant

Yes, indeed. Cornelius was one of Christ's sheep who was from another fold.....the Gentile fold.

"As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd." (John 10:15-16)

Notice Christ does not say they are my sheep because they hear my voice. Rather He says they hear my voice because they are my sheep....i.e., my elect, my chosen ones.

3. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

If man doesn't have the natural ability to believe, then why isn't every unsaved person on the planet locked up in a mental institution because they don't BELIEVE it's safe to walk out of the house without getting shot or captured by aliens? They don't believe they're spouse loves them. They don't believe they are even real. They don't believe there is a creation (even though Romans 1:17 says they do). They don't believe in being good (even though Romans 2 says they show the law of God demonstrated from their conscience).

With all of this inability to believe, it's a wonder there are any unsaved people on Earth AT ALL :)

4. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

Why don't you cowards quit beating around the bush and just admit that you don't believe anyone but a Calvinist is saved. It's getting ready old to hear all of this clandestine rhetoric saying it all but straight-forward. Good night just be honest for once in your lives.

5. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Especially since it is God's will that all come to Him.
    A men
    ia

6. Protestant

Thank you, James, for your legitimate question. But before I respond, may I respectfully ask the nature of your degree? Are you a medical doctor, Doctor of Philosophy, Doctor of Theology, etc.?

Also, did you mean in your last statement "it's a wonder there are any unsaved people on Earth at all"....or did you intend to say "it's a wonder there are any saved people on Earth at all."?

7. Protestant

I'm not sure if you have done a study on the will of God. Surely, you must admit if it is God's sincere intention/purpose to save all people either He is successful in carrying out the intention of His will or He is not. The Bible clearly states:

"Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,

10Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure" (Isaiah 46:9-10)

So how is it possible that on the one hand, He calls men worldwide to repent and believe the Gospel (which is His will) yet at the same time many do not and perish in their sins?

I will give a simplified explanation, but leave it up to the Spirit to move you to study this issue further.

The external call of the Gospel is according to His Preceptive Revealed Will...His will of approval commanding man to do that which is man's duty and responsibility. That will is disobeyed continually by man.

However, there is an internal call of the Gospel whereby it is His Secret Decretive will......His will of intention to save certain men -- whom He has chosen before the foundation of the earth -- that they should believe unto salvation. He accomplishes this purpose through bestowing saving grace upon the spiritually dead sinner, regenerating him, revealing Himself as Savior, giving the elect sinner all the gifts necessary for salvation, including faith, repentance, and the Holy Spirit.

Thus, His will of good pleasure --- His will of decree which declares what God will do ---never fails.

Again, there is much excellent material available concerning the will of God.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your bellicose obnoxiousness is what's getting really old.

9. Protestant

Although the audio was impossible to understand when he shouted, I certainly understood the majority of his sermon. I couldn't agree more with him! Thank you, brother, for sharing the link!

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

You left out part of the scripture;

Acts 11:17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

God gave Cornelius the like gift as he gave the Jews on the day of Pentacost for the same reason, because he had "believed on the Lord Jesus Christ".

The scriptures ALWAYS show that faith and believing precedes a person receiving the Spirit and being regenerated.

No man can be spiritually alive until he first believes, because we are justified by faith. Until you believe you remain in and are dead in your trespasses and sins.

11. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ACH,
    i answered you on this yesterday...you might have missed it...so here is an encore presentation---
    Ach

It is not for a Calvinist or a non Calvinist to know who is saved.Only God reads and knows the heart. God alone knows who is SAVED...because salvation is 100% of God.
    It is against BB rules to question anyone's salvation here on BB.
    So in the judgement of charity we try and view each poster who professes saving faith to be an actual believer.
    That being said...we do read your posts and have an opinion on what you post.

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved! A saving belief is God given. This admission of your hatred for for the sovereignty of God and confessing you are a fool is a good step towards repentance and faith
    All manner of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven to everyone who is savingly drawn to truth.

While Calvinism expanded and biblically explained is the gospel, not everyone who is saved understands many things in the bible. So we are to seek to edify one another and grow in grace and understanding of the truth.
    Many who do not understand these things at first , come to learn and grow ,and study themselves into the truth...so we are not to judge them as they belong to God. We are to befaithful to feed the sheep, and protect them from false teaching wolves who like the fowls of the air seek to take away the seed of the word.

Not so....there is always a full spectrum of beliefs and conditions of the people on here, or in a local church.

When someone is shaky in their understanding...better to proceed with caution and try and point them and correct their understanding of scripture.
    If they are being drawn but not yet saved...the Spirit will work through the word being sown. If they are saved and have been exposed to some false teaching, or never really heard the truth explained correctly
    God will use the person who is taught to help the young believer along.
    If they are NOT BORN FROM ABOVE...they will be religious,but fight and resist truth at every turn because-
    7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

That is correct.The person who believes in a salvation by works cannot be saved unless and until they repent and believe the gospel of grace.

You have a habit of doing this. You over-think and try and project your thoughts on us. We do not think "all" are heretics or unsaved....however that is indeed possibly the case.

In BB land Cals seek to operate within the guidelines set up by BB.That set of rules limits what can be expressed and how it can be expressed.

Again...we take someone at their profession,but pay attention to the warning signs..

Some of the Cals were at one time opposed to the teaching they now embrace, so why would they do that knowing at one time they did not see as clearly as they do now? Some other brothers came along,confronted them with scripture...you know , what benjamin speaks against as proof -texting...but then the Spirit worked through those verses or sermons and they saw clearly what was there all the time.

Not at all.Several non cals are sincere. They are the ones who will study themselves into a more scriptural position in time.
    Ach....i do not think you can say that I have not been quite blunt with you, as you have mentioned i have gone after you right from the start.

I despise much of what you post...not so much as your non cal ideas...but the talebearing and evil speaking of calvinists, and in particular DR.White which is disgraceful in how you have an irrational hatred of Him.Perhaps fueled by envy, it is not much different that Cain and Abel.

If you remain non cal that is between you and God.Unless you repent of the ungodly posting about Dr.White and some of the other brothers...it will work toward you being judged according to your works:thumbsup::thumbsup:

12. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes...this was recorded in the 1960's under poor conditions....most of His messages were...Glad you worked through it to catch the simple and yet profound truth in the message. I also could do without the screaming,lol but I find in several of his messages some good insight....
    I listen to this one several times a year- in fact i will listen now during my dinner break...

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=311131546212
    This explains why many miss the truth of God's grace!!!

#32 Iconoclast, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2013
  13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't disagree with anything here.

I'm neither of Calvin or Arminius but I think everyone could agree with your post.

HankD

14. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: J10:26

15. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Originally Posted by percho View Post
    He was, "of my sheep."

Send therefore to Joppa, and call hither Simon, whose surname is Peter; he is lodged in the house of [one] Simon a tanner by the sea side: who, when he cometh, shall speak unto thee. Acts 10:32

Peter spoke and told him how he and family would be saved.

And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree: Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly; Acts 10:39,40

The death and resurrection of Jesus is the faith heard of by which anyone who is saved was/is saved.

As you posted. 14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved. Acts 11:14

15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.------Why did the Holy Spirit fall on them. Because God was setting them apart as believers unto salvation therefore God gave them the Holy Spirit as a result of their: This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Gal. 3:2

They heard of the faith by which salvation comes to man and were given the Holy Spirit.

But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: John 10:26,27

The sheep are translated from ignorant unbelief unto belief. They become believers and are given the the Holy Spirit as an earnest.

16. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A question for all.

Dr James I think I read you are Jewish. Please give me your thoughts.

Joel 2:32 And it hath come to pass, Every one who calleth in the name of Jehovah is delivered, For in mount Zion and in Jerusalem there is an escape, As Jehovah hath said, And among the remnants whom Jehovah is calling!

Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name. Acts 15:14

This I believe began on Pentecost and is continuing unto this day.

Verse 16 After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:

After this taking out a people from the Jew first and also the Gentile, Jesus will return and set up/rebuild the tabernacle/house of David in Jerusalem/Zion.

Why?

Verse 17 That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and (Just as in the remnant in Joel 2:32 the called)all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.

Who are these people? This residue of men?

But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. John 10:26

Can whosoever will come and drink? See also John 7:37-39

And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. Rev. 22:17

Is Jesus speaking as The Prophet in John 7:37 In the last day, that great [day] of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. The last day of the feast of Tabernacles which would be in the past tense in Rev. 22:17

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fiction

I did not exclude John 17 verses, I showed you ripped them out of context. All you followed up with is a generalized dismissive statement.

Please explain how the men in Matthew 23:13 managed to be entering heaven if they had no natural ability to believe. You have no answer, so you again resort to making a general assertion without any support in scripture.

To the contrary, there is support for the gospel having the power of God to salvation, with no mention of the gift of faith, or the effectual call, or irresistible grace, or whatever Calvinism is calling it this week. :)

Next we get the fiction of Paul's supernatural conversion. He certainly had a supernatural witness, Christ Himself, to get his attention and show him the error of his ways. But, what did Paul say? What shall I do Lord? Paul understood he had been misguided, and had come to his senses. Calvinism here tries to use a supernatural intervention and misrepresent it as a supernatural conversion via irresistible grace. Not how it reads. Paul says he was not disobedient to the heavenly vision. Teaching of course he chose to obey. The exact opposite of the Calvinism claim.

18. Protestant

You are not a new, young, professing Christian who has a heart desire to understand the deeper things of God. Nor are you a professing mature Christian who honestly seeks answers to difficult questions. I discern a spirit of contention which has attached a root of bitterness. In other words, you are unteachable and unreachable. You are of the same spirit exemplified by the first worker who viewed the Lord unrighteous in dispensing to the last worker amazing grace which he did not deserve, while at the same time paying that first worker exactly what he did deserve: justice.

Christianity is a supernatural relationship with the living God based on His free grace in Jesus Christ.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here we have the typical Calvinist, attacking me personally, from a holier than thou perspective. I am shocked, shocked I say, that Calvinists would demean those holding alternate views.

I missed your answer for Matthew 23:13 teaching men were entering heaven, and thus seeking God, without some limited spiritual ability to understand the milk of the gospel.