1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is finished?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by psalms109:31, Dec 16, 2010.

1. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

John 19:30
    When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

2 Timothy 4:7
    I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Hebrews 4
    The Promise of Rest
    1 Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. 2 For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them,[ NU-Text and M-Text read profit them, since they were not united by faith with those who heeded it.] not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. 3 For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

“ So I swore in My wrath,

‘ They shall not enter My rest,’”[ Psalm 95:11]

a. although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”;[ Genesis 2:2] 5 and again in this place: “They shall not enter My rest.”[ Psalm 95:11]
    6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience, 7 again He designates a certain day, saying in David, “Today,” after such a long time, as it has been said:

“ Today, if you will hear His voice,
    Do not harden your hearts.”[ Psalm 95:7, 8

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I believe when He said this, the Law was fulfilled(finished) and the Grace covenant came in.

Heb.8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: I believe the "house of Israel" here is the Church.

9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

So Jesus ushered in the New Covenant by His death, burial, and resurrection.

i am I am's!!

Willis

3. psalms109:31

Scripture

With those scripture posted I see that the work of God is done and God require us to trust in Jesus and His work which to God is not work at all but what we must do. I hear too many times, that you are adding to the finished work of God. How can you when God does not consider it work from us, but what He commands us to do.

Romans 4:
    Abraham Justified by Faith
    1 What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, discovered in this matter? 2 If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. 3 What does Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”[Gen. 15:6; also in verse 22]

4 Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation. 5 However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness. 6 David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the one to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:

7 “Blessed are those
    whose transgressions are forgiven,
    whose sins are covered.
    8 Blessed is the one
    whose sin the Lord will never count against them.”[Psalm 32:1,2]

They were not able to enter because of disobedience, not for not being chosen.

I believe we are saved by grace not by works, because our debt was paid by Christ not us which is death. We failed the work part when we sinned and all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. I would never say I saved myself because I believed, because my debt wasn't paid by me which the faith that was given to me by God from His words tells me.

Hosea 6:6 For I desire mercy, not sacrifice,
    and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.

Thank you Willis for a wonderful answer.

#3 psalms109:31, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2010
  4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Psalms,

Here is another passage to think about.

Col.2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands,in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Jesus knew very well that no one could live by the Law, let alone keep it. He fulfilled the Law, there by, blotting it out by His blood. I believe the "hand writing of ordinances that was against us" were the Ten Commandments. We now live by the two He gave the Apostles.

Matt.22:34 But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together.

35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

The Law was a "works based" covenant, meaning they had to observe this and that, perform certain ceremonies at certain times, etc. When Jesus proclaimed "it is finished", all these ceremonies contained in the Law were done away with, and now we live by Grace. We don't keep the Grace covenant like the OT Jews kept the Law(or better, observed the Law), but the Grace covenant keeps us!! That's a lot easier for us to do!! Grace keeping us is easier than us "trying" to keep the Law. :thumbs: :thumbs:

i am I am's!!

Willis

5. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

The simple answer is that once Jesus' sacrifice was complete, God's plan for our redemption was finished. Nothing more needed to be done. Jesus' resurrection proved that His sacrifice was sufficient and accepted by the Father.

6. psalms109:31

Melchizedek

Hebrews 5

1 Every high priest is selected from among the people and is appointed to represent the people in matters related to God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. 2 He is able to deal gently with those who are ignorant and are going astray, since he himself is subject to weakness. 3 This is why he has to offer sacrifices for his own sins, as well as for the sins of the people. 4 And no one takes this honor on himself, but he receives it when called by God, just as Aaron was.

5 In the same way, Christ did not take on himself the glory of becoming a high priest. But God said to him,

“You are my Son;
    today I have become your Father.”[Psalm 2:7]

6 And he says in another place,

“You are a priest forever,
    in the order of Melchizedek.”[Psalm 110:4]

7 During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. 8 Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered 9 and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him 10 and was designated by God to be high priest in the order of Melchizedek.

Warning Against Falling Away
    11 We have much to say about this, but it is hard to make it clear to you because you no longer try to understand. 12 In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! 13 Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. 14 But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

What Jesus did for me I deserved it not Him and how can I continue to live the life I live knowing He has suffered for me because of it. What a wretched man I am, who can save me from this body of death, praise be to Jesus.

Our realizing of this is it not necessary?

#6 psalms109:31, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010
  7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

8. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: