1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is giving to God?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by IfbReformer, Jul 30, 2003.

1. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

Whether you believing in Tithing or not is what I am asking in this discussion.

What I want to hear from you guys is what you think "giving to God" is.

Here are two equations, and I want you guys to tell me which one you think is most Biblical:

1. "giving to God" = giving to church.

2. "giving to God" = giving to church and
    providing for family and
    helping poor and needy

Some would hold that while helping the poor and needy and provding for our family is something Christians should do it is not "giving to God" in the sense that giving to your local church is.

So what do you think based on the scriptures please.

Thank

IFBReformer

2. David Mark

David Mark New Member

I often think of it like this:

It showes me that, if the commandment to love thy neighbor is at the root of what we give or do, we should have assurance in our giving to God himself.

I take comfort in the commandment and I hide it in my heart.

[​IMG]

Dave

3. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

God gave us His Son. (John 3:16)

God gave us the ability to be saved.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

God gives us grace and glory.

Psa 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.

God gave us the Holy Spirit

Acts 15:8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;

We can give glory to God.

Rom 4:20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God

We can give thanks to God.

Eph 5:20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

We can give no offence.

I Cor 10:32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:

We can give cheerfully.

II Cor 9:7...for God loveth a cheerful giver

We CAN'T give God payment for services rendered.
    (No tipping allowed [​IMG] )

Psa 49:6 They that trust in their wealth, and boast themselves in the multitude of their riches; 7 None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:

Giving back to God is like trying to throw water back up Niagra Falls, you can get a few drops back up the river but it is not really a comparison.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

First, a tithe is not given, a tithe is paid.

Now, as far as putting your tithes/offerings to God, that doesn't necessarily mean putting it in the offering plate. It means putting the money toward's God's work.

Since I utilize the services of my home church, I put part of my money in the plate. Part of my tithe also goes to support Habitat for Humanity, a Christian organization that builds housing for the poor. Part of my tithe also goes towards the Salvation Army Charities, since they feed, clothe, and house those in need. Part of my tithe goes also towards a local food kitchen, as well as several other charities that I believe are doing God's work.