1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is going on?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Amy.G, Oct 16, 2012.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sad memories. The latest about that church: they've dropped almost all of, or maybe all of their missionaries (don't know, but I was told all), including Baptist friends of ours who they had supported for decades. Now their missions effort is supporting a project in Africa to dig a well at a village--an effort led by Pentecostal missionaries! (This is hard to tell from their website, which still has a bunch of missionaries they supposedly support, including our friends.)

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was raise dup spiritually in the Assemblies of God, and never really saw them acting wrongly towards others, even the baptists...

was my church back than an execption, or are the Assemblies more akin to us that to their Charasmatic chaos "bethren?"

3. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Sounds like.....

Brother...it sounds to me like you were just fortunate to be in an AoG church that might have had a more old-fashioned, conservative type of pastor or church leadership group. Don't know that for sure but I'm just guessing on the statement you just made.....!

Bro.Greg

4. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Satan knowing the power of music to persuade the human mind has seized upon this to disrupt, corrupt and split thousands of churches, just as he used the R & R bands of the 60's, the BEETLES in particular to promote a drug culture and corrupt the morals of our society. How sad when it is perhaps the least significent part of our service. The Word and the offering (when done in the true spirit of giving) being the most.
    As long as the lyrics are true to scripture I can tolerate the Energizer Bunny music if I am getting the Word. However I would not pay $40 for a concert. If our Sunday Morning crowds were polled with what they preferred I believe they would vote less Word and more "P & W." Music appeals to the sensual part of our make up and The word to our intellect and soul.

5. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Sorry, I guess you know already I disagree with this statement...first because the type of music in these discussions is never defined...second because there are biblical, conservative churches that have guitars whose biblical standards have not lessened...some have actually increased from a time when they were very conservative musically but progressing liberally in theology. There are also many churches with traditional music that are hot-beds of gossip, or dying due to lack of spiritual fervour, or simply holding organ concerts instead of Services that preach the Gospel and sing praise to God.

Much of the CCM music DOES grow out of the Charismatic circles...but it is possible for those with discernment to take what is good while leaving what is not so good.

6. 12strings

12strings Active Member

1. Actually, in my church, if there was a vote, many would vote to have a southern Gospel concert instead of preaching! :laugh:

2. So no music then?

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If thats true, I wouldn't stay in that particular church.....something has gone real wrong there.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of ALL of the Charasmatic/pentscostal churches/groups, think AOG is closest to teaching 'sound doctrines and practices", as they have NOT endorsed word of faith/health and wealth modern day Apostles/prophets as of yet!

9. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I say that in jest...combining the fact that we have lots of Southern Gospel fans and the SINGLE occurrence of one older lady suggesting that we have an Easter musical on Sunday morning instead of a sermon.

10. Gregory Perry Sr.

The Truth...!

Amen Brother:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: PREACH!!!!! and GIVE (scripturally) I love good music that honors God....but it is the preaching/teaching of God's Word that should ALWAYS have the preeminence!

Bro.Greg:thumbsup:

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Oh, baloney. Wait a minute, I take that back- baloney is too expensive to waste on this tripe.

12. Gregory Perry Sr.

This much I know....

Well...like I said...my experience in this church was first hand and Bro.John was related to some of the principles involved. That said, I don't disagree with everything you are saying and I don't believe there is a "one size fits all" formula for every church to follow in "cookie-cutter" fashion. I don't know if you did or not but go back and read John of Japan's response to me on this one. It is relevant. For the record....I don't have any problem with the tasteful use of guitars or other stringed instruments in our worship services (one of my favorites is a well-tuned 12 string:smilewinkgrin:) but I am less favorable to the use of heavy backbeats/rhythm with drum sets. Most drummers just can't resist the temptation to "stand out". It is too easily abused and detracts from what should be an air of at least some modicum of reverence. I was deeply involved in the classic rock scene before and even for a time after I was saved. The Lord deeply convicted me about that matter. I will never be able to accept that style of music as appropriate for Biblical,Christian worship. Much of the CCM music of our day either gets way too close to that line...or blindly crosses it entirely. That is my opinion. Peace brother.

Bro.Greg:praying:

13. Gregory Perry Sr.

Yes...

Brother...you are probably right. The AoG people I have met over the years were for the most part sincere people who seemed to love the Lord deeply. I might not want to visit their churches but I'll fellowship with them on whatever ground I can. Much can be accomplished in Bible fellowship.

Bro.Greg

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While attending there, ny best friend asked his IBF elder friend to attend a service, and he told the AOG pastor that he preached 'as a baptist!"

15. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no problem with the old line Pentecostals if they reject all those Charismatic errors. My Baptist evangelist grandfather used to include them in his city-wide campaigns, promising not to talk about baptism if they would not talk about tongues, with everyone working to see the salvation of souls. I even have e book by Talmadge Spence (who was Pentecostal) opposing the Charismatics, Charismatism, Awakening or Apostasy? (BJU Press, 1978).

What I have a problem with is a church that was formerly Baptist dropping all of their missionaries, and supporting a social gospel approach led by Pentecostals--and there are few old line Pentecostals left, so chances are these are not just old line Pentecostals, but modern Charismatics. It is disturbing. Let the Charismatics and Pentecostals support their own missionaries.

16. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

No, no, N - O ..... E, W, & F!!!!!

Once again, you've got it ALL WRONG!!!!

Just how MANY TIMES DO YOU HAVE TO BE TOLD??!!??

It's NOT "Interpretative DANCING," my brother and friend!!!!!!

No, NO, N - O !!!!!!

It's "Interpretative M - O - V - E - M - E - N - T "!!!!!!!

WAY, WAY BIG DIFFERENCE THERE , don't cha no ??!!??

( Do I have to 'splane EVERYTHING 2 U , BRO ??!!?? )

:smilewinkgrin: :tongue3: :tonofbricks:

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ohhhhh Groan! ..... where these people from, NJ or NY!?!

Maybe I could get my niece to do an Interpretative Tap Dance recital dedicated to God. Now it wont be Handel's Messiah ....but....:smilewinkgrin:

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will show you a M - O - V - E - M - E - N - T..... ahhhh, forget about it!:tongue3:

19. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please Accept my Apologies...

....I did not mean to insinuate that you were a JW.

As for you being judgmental, just as you see my doctrine as wrong, I see your comments as wrong, too! The difference is, you calim to be right, and those that challenge you are wrong.

Maybe calling what you do and say as JUDGMENTAL is too harsh, and I retreat and apologise.

Of course, this is one thing, since we interacted on this board, that you have never, once, reciprocated with, and that is any form of aplogy for your calling my doctrines "false." If that attitude is not judgmental in nature, then, please tell me what it is???

And while I'm asking you to respond to this, let me remind you that you have yet to reply to my request to tell us what you consider false charismania, and why? Apologies have to go to both ways, or that makes the other person appear to be correct, and then their opinion becomes a form of judgment, IMHO of course!

With that said, I agree that false doctrine will be judged. But, in most cases, so long as that false doctrine doesn't come between a person accepting Jesus as Savior [tongues and lifting hands will not seperate a person from confession of faith and the gift of their salvation], these folks will be standing next to you in glory, and I hope you won't be too hard on themshould they lift their hands and pray in tongues :laugh:

Again, please don't be so uptight with what I say. For sure, nothing you say upsets me. I know I have made mistakes in how I view some realms of doctrine. But the truth is, so have you, and so has every believer that follows Jesus. Just look at Paul and Peter. They were at odds, but at the end of the day, they are both in heaven worshipping God. And I truly believe that our erros on earth will be addressed in Glory by the author of faith, God!

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    do you see those such as Copeland/hagin/price/hinn etc , all in the Chasamatic circle, as being godly teachers, or epouse doctrines of demons?